Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:12 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Most excellent my father just informed me he has an extra 9g aileron servo laying at his house. Guess I can snag that this afternoon and put it back in my Pitts. Pulling the bad one out wasn't too bad had to slice the lower wing right at the front so I had a little wiggle room. Which was no big deal since I had torn it in that spot once before already. Bit of glue and it was as good as new. Was strange just had servo die on me. No power no nothing. Oh well back in business later on at least.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:33 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
Most excellent my father just informed me he has an extra 9g aileron servo laying at his house. Guess I can snag that this afternoon and put it back in my Pitts. Pulling the bad one out wasn't too bad had to slice the lower wing right at the front so I had a little wiggle room. Which was no big deal since I had torn it in that spot once before already. Bit of glue and it was as good as new. Was strange just had servo die on me. No power no nothing. Oh well back in business later on at least.
Gotcha beat: I had not even maidened mine yet, just built the airframe and was waiting on motor to come in, when I heard it was best to hang them up for storage to keep the surfaces true. So I hung it from a clip in my 'plane room', but the clip was not strong enough -- later, it fell right onto the rudder from five feet, and stripped the rudder servo gear.

It's no fun digging 'em out, but it was not nearly as big a hassle as I had first feared it would be, and that foam is awesomely resilient to let you elbow it aside, then put it back into place, add a little Welder's in there between the foam and the servo, and Voila!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:38 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Hehe yeah it wasn't nearly as bad I thought. I think I may be digging out a rudder servo too. Mine was chattering a bit the other night when I was flying. Giving to just fly it as is and if it gets worse ill be ordering one.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Gotcha beat: I had not even maidened mine yet, just built the airframe and was waiting on motor to come in, when I heard it was best to hang them up for storage to keep the surfaces true. So I hung it from a clip in my 'plane room', but the clip was not strong enough -- later, it fell right onto the rudder from five feet, and stripped the rudder servo gear.

It's no fun digging 'em out, but it was not nearly as big a hassle as I had first feared it would be, and that foam is awesomely resilient to let you elbow it aside, then put it back into place, add a little Welder's in there between the foam and the servo, and Voila!
a great solution for keep your planes safe and true...

http://www.twistedhobbys.com/VFS-System-VFS.htm

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. .....zing off comes the prop again. The prop flew off so much I didn't even make it through the first 3s pack before I lost it.
Longer screws

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=776

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post

cdee
heh heh -- Gotta love a 'better mousetrap' -- Thanks!

Right now, my homemade Improved Pitts Clip V2 is doing fine, but if I get more foamies, I do like the fact theirs is expandable to a lot more planes.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Mar 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post

cdee
That's basicly a towel rack with rubber bands :-)

I just use hooks or nails in my rafter in the garage and then use 2 rubber bands to hang my planes by the props. it works great
lv2soar is offline Find More Posts by lv2soar
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Been flying the snot out of this plane, love it! I can fly this one in front of house as it flies so slow and precise.

The new motor works great, just need the wind to die down for an in flight test. Bought four more batteries as well. With this motor I had to drill out the hub on the props to fit.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:05 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Been flying the snot out of this plane, love it! I can fly this one in front of house as it flies so slow and precise.

The new motor works great, just need the wind to die down for an in flight test. Bought four more batteries as well. With this motor I had to drill out the hub on the props to fit.
Hehe matt yeah I fly mine in front of the house too. No exactly the largest space with lots of overhanging trees. Lol. Needed to get the ladder out the other day while the neighbors all chuckled at my plane in the tree over the middle of the street. At least they all enjoy watching me fly so I can fly over all the front yards. Without anyone saying anything.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:29 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Yeah it is a small area and I think it will help when I start flying indoors over the winter.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:00 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,981 Posts
Some vid of me this morning.... I am no great pilot, remember this is my first 3D plane, so I am just kind of goofing around, feeling it out. It's fun! (Probably need full screen and HD to see anything, since this is my keychain cam.)

crack pitts short hop (2 min 25 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,313 Posts
That's what these planes were built for. Rookie 3d pilots to hone their skills. Haven't been flying since Sunday with work and the heat. Thank god for realflight and the crack yak model.

Nice flying tracknoob, just hang her by the prop and she should straighten out. I ripped half the elevator off a little welders and mine still fly's fine.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:58 PM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I've been flying 2s since I got my CP and it would only throw the 9x4.7 prop off on certain moves. (side note: I'm using surgical tubing to hold the prop on) Well last night I received my shipment of more 2s and some 3s packs . I balanced the 8x4.3 prop stuck on a 3s pack to see what it was all about. I went 3/4 throttle and zing prop took off like a heli. I didn't even have a chance to let go of the plane.
I put the prop back on and took off with 1/2 throttle. I did a few loops around the back yard and was using the extra power to pull out and zing off comes the prop again. The prop flew off so much I didn't even make it through the first 3s pack before I lost it.
Try using small lock straps as shown in the pic. Works well.
nkhamlue is offline Find More Posts by nkhamlue
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:38 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
Some vid of me this morning.... I am no great pilot, remember this is my first 3D plane, so I am just kind of goofing around, feeling it out. It's fun! (Probably need full screen and HD to see anything, since this is my keychain cam.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5e8-...ature=youtu.be
Yeah, living in Fla. the heat is real killer. I'm in SC and I've left mine in the back of my truck. It has a hard cover on it. Don't worry these planes are built for abuse. I haven't been flying these things for long but I sure have tortured mine and its still flying.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkhamlue View Post
Try using small lock straps as shown in the pic. Works well.
Don't you have balance issues? Plus it looks like it would defeat the purpose of prop saver.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew