SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,350 Posts
Grats on the maiden. Mine works very well with 2S 800s. Nice long flight times. I puffed and killed a stack of 370s in no time with 24g motors. You will be glad for those 450s.

I found a little tear in my foam just in front of the aileron servo. No wonder it was flying funny on those last few flights!
SD One. is online now Find More Posts by SD One.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,503 Posts
My first time using the 3s packs. Man I was all over the place. Cant blame it on the battery though. As an RC flyer I pretty much suck but I still have a ton of fun. Also threw a prop off for the first time. 3s is a quite a bit stronger. I think if not for the 3s today would have been a bust because the wind was really whipping me around. I think I'll keep the Pitts at 3s and the other planes at 2s. Later all.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:20 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
My first time using the 3s packs. Man I was all over the place. Cant blame it on the battery though. As an RC flyer I pretty much suck but I still have a ton of fun. Also threw a prop off for the first time. 3s is a quite a bit stronger. I think if not for the 3s today would have been a bust because the wind was really whipping me around. I think I'll keep the Pitts at 3s and the other planes at 2s. Later all.

Tom
3s needs the heavy duty orings or at least something more that what comes in the motor kit, also you will want to make sure that the prop runs smooth, does not take much at the higher rpm for things to get out of control if not balanced or smooth.

3s is the only way I fly my Pitts now... it's a kick.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:42 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,565 Posts
The Pitts is easilly my hands down favorite flyer. I have a garage/basement full of other good flyers but the Pitts is the one I fly the most. Have a dozen 2S-450's that give me 5 minutes each of fun. Think I will try the 800's after reading the reports. I am not into the fast thing, I like my low & slow dirt flirt'n fly'n. Since I have been doing the low/slow thing 3 other members of our club have purchased the Pitts. It's like having an outdoor F3P plane.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:02 AM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,641 Posts
Glad everybody is liking the Pitts. To me, it is as close to depron as you can get...extremely floaty and with lots of lift, while still being precise and quick when the throttle is up. It's perfect for slow precision.

The huge wing area means that the plane can easily carry slightly larger batteries. I even did a flight on a 3S 1600. It was definitely heavy but flew surprisingly well. Of course I wouldn't recommend this because it really taxes the power system and will cause significantly more damage in a crash, but it shows just how much area this plane has.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,503 Posts
Yeah I'm loving the Pitts. I plan to go with the 2 aileron servo setup. Just a matter of getting away from the other projects and doing it. The Pitts is such a great flyer that I'm in no hurry to change things.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
3s needs the heavy duty orings or at least something more that what comes in the motor kit, also you will want to make sure that the prop runs smooth, does not take much at the higher rpm for things to get out of control if not balanced or smooth.

3s is the only way I fly my Pitts now... it's a kick.
cdee
How much more power does the Pitts have on 2S compared to 3S? With the brand of batteries I fly, it is about a 1/2 ounce weight increase.
That equates to roguhly a 7% overall weight gain.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Aug 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
How much more power does the Pitts have on 2S compared to 3S? With the brand of batteries I fly, it is about a 1/2 ounce weight increase.
That equates to roguhly a 7% overall weight gain.
The power increase makes up for the weight increase plus quite a bit, if you like to have reserve power when down low to pull out of a tight situation, or just enjoy the thrill of punching out a hover like a rocket, 3s will get you there....

The 1450kv motor and 8" prop.
cdee
Old Aug 07, 2012, 04:07 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
WooHoo, TH crack motors are in stock! Ordered one 5 minutes ago.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 07, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
The power increase makes up for the weight increase plus quite a bit, if you like to have reserve power when down low to pull out of a tight situation, or just enjoy the thrill of punching out a hover like a rocket, 3s will get you there....

The 1450kv motor and 8" prop.
cdee
You "Twisted" my arm! Gonna order some 3S packs and light it up.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:19 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
You "Twisted" my arm! Gonna order some 3S packs and light it up.
.... I hope you like it!! Let me know.

I do still fly my Crack Yak and Crack ES on 2s with the 8" prop and the 1800kv motor that was part of the power set earlier in the year.
cdee
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Throwing the prop

Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I've been flying 2s since I got my CP and it would only throw the 9x4.7 prop off on certain moves. (side note: I'm using surgical tubing to hold the prop on) Well last night I received my shipment of more 2s and some 3s packs . I balanced the 8x4.3 prop stuck on a 3s pack to see what it was all about. I went 3/4 throttle and zing prop took off like a heli. I didn't even have a chance to let go of the plane.
I put the prop back on and took off with 1/2 throttle. I did a few loops around the back yard and was using the extra power to pull out and zing off comes the prop again. The prop flew off so much I didn't even make it through the first 3s pack before I lost it.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
LOL mine did that too I was only bench running it with the Wattmeter though.

I only had one HD O ring on it and couldn't fit two of them over the screws so I just managed to get one HD ring and one thinner ring on, been fine since.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
Wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I've been flying 2s since I got my CP and it would only throw the 9x4.7 prop off on certain moves. (side note: I'm using surgical tubing to hold the prop on) Well last night I received my shipment of more 2s and some 3s packs . I balanced the 8x4.3 prop stuck on a 3s pack to see what it was all about. I went 3/4 throttle and zing prop took off like a heli. I didn't even have a chance to let go of the plane.
I put the prop back on and took off with 1/2 throttle. I did a few loops around the back yard and was using the extra power to pull out and zing off comes the prop again. The prop flew off so much I didn't even make it through the first 3s pack before I lost it.
I suggest longer screws, or back out the ones that are there, so you can you more rubber.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:05 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,174 Posts
The HD prop saver bands are the bom.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob