HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I had that problem lateral side to side so I just cut a little slit in the wing tip and inserted a penny. Worked out pretty good. Add one to the nose and see what happens.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 11:02 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Forgot to mention that I flew her in my front yard and it was great! Took some hard licks into the ground and it flew fine afterward, no damage!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:33 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
I flew the pitts today! It is a bit fidget-y, I think it is because the wings twist. Also, the roll rate isn't what I expected..
Other than that, its great!
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:37 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah the roll rate is slower. Quite a bit of drag with a bipe. I only really noticed it when I finally got my slick flying and went wow this thing rolls fast. Haha.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Aug 05, 2012, 10:50 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
Well, I flew it again this morning, this time with 2 pennies weighing down the front. It flew AMAZING! no wind, and the unresponsiveness caused by the wrong CG went away! Super happy, I'm ordering more batteries!
Old Aug 05, 2012, 11:30 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Excellent. Glad you got it sorted and are enjoying it. Such a fun plane to fly.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:25 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite View Post
Well, I flew it again this morning, this time with 2 pennies weighing down the front. It flew AMAZING! no wind, and the unresponsiveness caused by the wrong CG went away! Super happy, I'm ordering more batteries!
2 pennies is a lot. Is that in addition to having the battery as far forward as you can get it?
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 05, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
2 pennies is a lot. Is that in addition to having the battery as far forward as you can get it?
Are you guys flying with the landing gear? I wouldent think anyone woould have to add weight!!!!! Can the reciver or speedo be moved forward?

Im mostlikley going to run a Hacker A20-34S.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Aug 05, 2012, 02:19 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2012
224 Posts
I just tried out an 800mah 2 cell and the extra weight makes it fly awesome! im going to stick with the weight, because it is always windy here.
I have the landing gear. Also, I just cut the slit for the battery back next to the spar because I thought it would work just like the build video(not a good idea) and so I don't want to cut a new one. I am happy with the weight, it gives it an almost balsa feel and makes for better handling.
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
I added one penny to the nose and that helped. Wow I need more batteries I'm getting about 5min flight time with the 2s 450mah. Anyone know what the max charge rate is on the TH Lipos?

On a side note I figured out how to loosen up the hinges from putting welders on both sides. I cut two slits in each hinge joint. With welders being on both sides I think it will still be plenty strong. The rudder was so tight before I did this I striped a gear in the servo.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:31 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,444 Posts
cg

You'll have to be careful when setting up the cg on these planes. What might work for the build might not for you. I ended up just using velcro so I can switch back and forth between my 2s and 3s batts. Works out pretty good.

Got a few flights in on the Pitts yesterday. Did more on the CY I just finished. Out of my hanger though the Pitts is the one that gets the most airtime. Love the looks and the way it flys.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Aug 06, 2012, 07:15 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
This is my first true 3D plane and it is blast, this one will be flown almost everytime. I love Warbirds, Micros, and my Fun Cub but this is just a blast! When a plane can knife edge without ANY rudder you know it is awesome! I love doing knife edge loops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
You'll have to be careful when setting up the cg on these planes. What might work for the build might not for you. I ended up just using velcro so I can switch back and forth between my 2s and 3s batts. Works out pretty good.

Got a few flights in on the Pitts yesterday. Did more on the CY I just finished. Out of my hanger though the Pitts is the one that gets the most airtime. Love the looks and the way it flys.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
What a fun plane to buzz around the yard! Note to people that are thinking about this plane, get more than 2 batteries and more then one prop. I broke the only prop I had last night and well now I jonesin' to fly. So much so I CAed the prop twice tonight just so I could get a couple of batteries in.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:47 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,343 Posts
WOOT!!!!!!

Just maidened mine in the park tonite! After blowing 15 mph all day, around dusk it quieted to zero, so I ran out there with a 2S 370mah batt and a 2S 800 mah batt (all I had on hand - my 2S 450's are on order).

The 370 left it a bit tail-heavy, but I figured I had the throw to deal with it, and let 'er rip. OMG, what fun! I was immediately hovering, knife edging, doing tumbles almost in the length of the plane, etc. Was immediately comfortable flying it low and slow, and landing was a piece of cake in the grass with no gear.

Believe it or not, the 800 all the way on the nose is just *barely* nose-heavy, but I wanted to get the feel of that configuration too, so I flew it all the way up. Very stable, still enormously flexible and peppy, and not at all feeling sluggish or droopy. Still able to do tight slow loops and quick rolls, etc, and even hover -seemed almost as good as the lighter batt, in fact, with the added stability easier for a rookie like me to have time to make needed corrections.

After watching the site vids I know how graceful and capable this thing can be in the hands of a pro, but even in the hands of a total 3D newb, it is a barrel of monkeys, and makes you feel pretty confident right off the bat!

Hope to have good weather for tomorrow to take it to the club field and wow the boys with it!

It's definitely a ten!

tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Aug 06, 2012, 09:41 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Congrats on the maiden. I love mine it is so much fun. I've bounced it around learning this 3d stuff so many times. Just toss it back in the air. Got in 5 flights tonight and getting pretty good at rolling circles. Still need to really figure out and get the timing right for rolling harrier flight in a straight line. Just haven't gotten the timing yet.