HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docbrew View Post
Noob with a few questions. This is my first foamy and my first electric so bear with me.

Since the motor has been out of stock I've been looking at the rim fire 250. Will this be a good motor for this plane?

I'm not sure how to fix this but the directions recommended putting a thin layer of glue on the hinge so I did. I thought well if one side recommended the other side would be better. Umm...not really. Now my hinge joints are very tight and dont seem to want to move much even after flexing them quite a bit. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

I will say I'm very excited to get this bird in the air after reading this thread. I'm a decent park flier and this is my first 3Der. Heck prior to this summer the last time I flew an RC plan 3D flying wasn't heard of.
You may want to seek additional advice, but one thought about the hinge issue is to cut the hinge completely through with a blade, butt the 2 pieces together and reapply welder to just the top side so the dried welder between the pieces becomes the hinge. The welder makes a strong hinge from my experience fixing hinge tears on a number of planes (EPP and EPO).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:53 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,437 Posts
Welcome to the club and forum Doc.

Can't help you with the motor. But I can with the hinges, if you have some acetone handy it will soften up the hinges. It's how I do it, plus it's how I reuse parts when the airframe is shot.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:56 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I switched my motor/esc out with a working combo from another foamy, all is well. Weird thing is that it worked fine without a prop, once the prop was on it cogged or stuttered. I put it on another plane with a different/smaller propellor and it works just fine with the smaller prop.

Not sure what all this means but I will be ordering more batteries!

Also I have been using some 500mah batteries that are around 31grams, I have some two cell 1000mah batteries that weight in at 57grams but I wasn't sure whether the greater weight would kill the flying characteristics of the plane.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
...But I can with the hinges, if you have some acetone handy it will soften up the hinges. ..
Wouldn't that destroy the graphics?
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:44 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
...Since the motor has been out of stock I've been looking at the rim fire 250. Will this be a good motor for this plane? ....
I do think the 250 is to small. The Rim fire 300 on 3 or maybe 2 cell lipo is a much better choice as I see it.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:15 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,437 Posts
Thanks for pointing that out Stark. I should have mentioned apply the acetone to a rag and rub the inside hinge. It'll take some of the welders off and soften the hinge enough to work smoother. Working the hinge back and forth afterwards will help as well. The outside of the hinge is really the only place that could use the welders to help from tearing.

That is strange Matt. Maybe the prop not balanced could be the cause. What size prop were you using? Adding weight does effect the flying. More weight better windy day flying, less weight more floaty it flys.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
I bought one of these just for the heck of it. Thought it might be worth a shot.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I switched my motor/esc out with a working combo from another foamy, all is well. Weird thing is that it worked fine without a prop, once the prop was on it cogged or stuttered. I put it on another plane with a different/smaller propellor and it works just fine with the smaller prop.

Not sure what all this means but I will be ordering more batteries!

Also I have been using some 500mah batteries that are around 31grams, I have some two cell 1000mah batteries that weight in at 57grams but I wasn't sure whether the greater weight would kill the flying characteristics of the plane.
Sounds like your magnets may not be strong enough to swing the bigger prop. Have you ever gotten them very hot - they tend to demagnetize after a certain temp.

The heavier batteries will change the way the plane flies. The biplane can probably handle it in flight, but you will be carrying more inertia if you crash, and it will likely cause more damage than you normally would see.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Last edited by Jboy90277; Aug 03, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 09:01 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I tested two motors right out of the box they are these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=8618

I just think it is a stretch for the bigger props. I found a good replacement, I think, for the TH motor. It is at value hobby:

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...or-1660kv.html

Should work fine and still be lightweight. I like the 300 size motors but most of the time you need to step up the size of your ESC. I think the added weight would kill the handling and cause more damage in a crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Sounds like your magnets may be strong enough to swing the bigger prop. Have you ever gotten them very hot - they tend to demagnetize after a certain temp.

The heavier batteries will change the way the plane flies. The biplane can probably handle it in flight, but you will be carrying more inertia if you crash, and it will likely cause more damage than you normally would see.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Noob with a few questions. This is my first foamy and my first electric so bear with me.

Since the motor has been out of stock I've been looking at the rim fire 250. Will this be a good motor for this plane?

I'm not sure how to fix this but the directions recommended putting a thin layer of glue on the hinge so I did. I thought well if one side recommended the other side would be better. Umm...not really. Now my hinge joints are very tight and dont seem to want to move much even after flexing them quite a bit. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

I will say I'm very excited to get this bird in the air after reading this thread. I'm a decent park flier and this is my first 3Der. Heck prior to this summer the last time I flew an RC plan 3D flying wasn't heard of.

I love the 250 and will be installing one on my Crack Slick, not sure if it will have all the pullout power you might want with the Pitts. I flew this on a 6oz monoplane and it was blistic on 2S. If you dont need all the power in the world i wouldnot be afrade to try it. If you are used to Gobs of power i would look in to something else.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:11 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
There will be a small delay since we requested the factory to revise the hub diameter. They should ship early next week.
The revised motor just came in the mail. I think I am one of the last houses in the area to get the mail. Anyway...it's here. The prop fit a little loose without the prop saver on. I was thinking, oh no! But after the prop saver was put on, no slop was noticeable.
Will screw the motor on and have enough daylight to get in several flights. Woo-hoo!
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:50 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,437 Posts
That motor looks interesting Tom. Going try it out on your Pitts?

STLAV8R, I thought the prop saver was built into the can. Got any pics to clarify what you mean?
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
That motor looks interesting Tom. Going try it out on your Pitts?

STLAV8R, I thought the prop saver was built into the can. Got any pics to clarify what you mean?
Me? If so the answer is no. I just saw it and thought it looked like a really strong other choice. I plan touse it on a wing I'm building. As for my TH planes I use the TH power combo only. Big fan here. But I should have the wing up and flying mid week with that motor.

Tom
Old Aug 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
If your looking for a cheap replacement motor till the TH motors come back in stock this looks pretty good. Not sure how it'll work out but for the price what the heck.

Tom

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-Slofly/Detail
Old Aug 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
I love the 250 and will be installing one on my Crack Slick, not sure if it will have all the pullout power you might want with the Pitts. I flew this on a 6oz monoplane and it was blistic on 2S. If you dont need all the power in the world i wouldnot be afrade to try it. If you are used to Gobs of power i would look in to something else.
I did put the 250 on the pitts and it seems to fly it well but I don't have anything to compare it to. The problem I'm having now is balance. The tail is heavy even with the battery mounted all the way forward.
docbrew is offline Find More Posts by docbrew