HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
The real REAL question is...is that your painted toe nails?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:46 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
That is a good question.

I screwed up long ago and used the polarized Micro Deans plugs on all of my light foamies. Now I have the added cost of a new set of plugs for every two packs which isn't bad, but it sucks when you are out of them and none of your buddies use them. I kinda wish I had just stuck with JSTs since learning that the protruding positive pin on the Micro Deans plug can short against the ground in the balance tap and we all know what comes after that.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Lol avie no those are not my painted toenails. My wife thought it would be fun to play nail painting with our 3 years old son last night. So those are his.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:07 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
I'm beginning to think my Crack Pitts is jinxed. First I splash out on quality servo's only to have one of them go dead on the maiden. Got that sorted and then the z bend comes off the carbon rod on the rudder. Fixed it by getting it back inside the heat shrink and wicking thin CA in, seemed to do the trick till I got out to the field tonight and it went again on the first flight. I was right bummed as I've been waiting to have a real good go on 3S Anyway got home took the rod right out and carefully cut off the heat shrink and the old CA with a scalpel, got it right down to clean carbon. Cleaned off the z bend, gave both the z bend and the carbon a good roughing up and did it again from scratch. Would you believe that with the z bend in the rudder horn that the carbon is flexible enough to allow you to bend it round and thread it back through the guides up to the servo. Hopefully that should be it now, it's odd I've not had a single one go on any of the others. I did manage to get out the back and give it a test flight as it was dropping dark, gota say I think I'm gona like 3S on this, can't wait to give it a better go now.

For anyone interested here's the results of testing my different motor combinations. First the X Series 1800kv on 2S with an eight inch prop, didn't test that one on 3S as I didn't think it would be the right motor for it, I may do so though just to see what numbers it gets and see if the motor can handle it. Then the Crack Series motor on 2S with a nine inch prop then 3S with eight inch. We also have some X Series 1480kv motors and although they aren't rated for 3S they seem to handle it so I tested it with both 2S and nine inch prop and 3S with eight, I flew it on my Edge with 3S tonight after my upset with the Pitts and the power was amazing and the motor still came down stone cold. It could be a fine option for 3S but it would need some work on the throttle curve unlike the Crack Series motor. Both the Crack Series motor and the X Series motor hit three figure watts on the initial burst
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I'm beginning to think my Crack Pitts is jinxed. First I splash out on quality servo's only to have one of them go dead on the maiden. Got that sorted and then the z bend comes off the carbon rod on the rudder. Fixed it by getting it back inside the heat shrink and wicking thin CA in, seemed to do the trick till I got out to the field tonight and it went again on the first flight. I was right bummed as I've been waiting to have a real good go on 3S Anyway got home took the rod right out and carefully cut off the heat shrink and the old CA with a scalpel, got it right down to clean carbon. Cleaned off the z bend, gave both the z bend and the carbon a good roughing up and did it again from scratch. Would you believe that with the z bend in the rudder horn that the carbon is flexible enough to allow you to bend it round and thread it back through the guides up to the servo. Hopefully that should be it now, it's odd I've not had a single one go on any of the others. I did manage to get out the back and give it a test flight as it was dropping dark, gota say I think I'm gona like 3S on this, can't wait to give it a better go now.
If it goes again, I would wind thread or unwaxed dental floss around the metal and carbon fiber before hitting it with CA for a more secure connection than shrink tubing (method I learned from building my PA Ultimate AMR).
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
If it goes again, I would wind thread or unwaxed dental floss around the metal and carbon fiber before hitting it with CA for a more secure connection than shrink tubing (method I learned from building my PA Ultimate AMR).
Yeh never though about that at the time but I've used that method before. I'll go for that if it goes again, Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
794 Posts
Quote:
For anyone interested here's the results of testing my different motor combinations. First the X Series 1800kv on 2S with an eight inch prop, didn't test that one on 3S as I didn't think it would be the right motor for it, I may do so though just to see what numbers it gets and see if the motor can handle it. Then the Crack Series motor on 2S with a nine inch prop then 3S with eight inch. We also have some X Series 1480kv motors and although they aren't rated for 3S they seem to handle it so I tested it with both 2S and nine inch prop and 3S with eight, I flew it on my Edge with 3S tonight after my upset with the Pitts and the power was amazing and the motor still came down stone cold. It could be a fine option for 3S but it would need some work on the throttle curve unlike the Crack Series motor. Both the Crack Series motor and the X Series motor hit three figure watts on the initial burst
I assume you were talking about the X Series 1450kv motors.

I made some measurements with one of those motors near the end of June using the same brand meter. My results are below and they are in line with what you have found.

Outrunner "Crack Series" 24g 1450KV Brushless Motor
9x4.7 Tuff Prop
2S 450mA 7.87V at start of test
5100 RPM 7.3A 50W

8x4.3 Tuff Prop
2S 450mA 7.33V at start of test
6850 RPM 4.677A 33W

8x4.3 Tuff Prop
3S 450mA ?V at start of test
9340 RPM 7.76A 88W
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Jul 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
Build em lite......
Joined Apr 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Winding thread is a very good idea. I have had 3 of the Z bends come off the CF pushrod. Since winding with thread and soaking with thin CA, no problem. My last Crack build I used thread during the initial build. Well worth the peace of mind with absolutely no downside.....
nkhamlue is offline Find More Posts by nkhamlue
Last edited by nkhamlue; Jul 16, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:40 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Doh I had one pop off tonight and forgot you guys were talking about using the thread. Put it back together without it. Well next time. Lol.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,540 Posts
Quote:
The real REAL question is...is that your painted toe nails?
For those into truly *twisted* hobbies.........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Jul 16, 2012, 08:52 PM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
For those into truly *twisted* hobbies.........

Lol. You guys crack me up.

Did a bunch of flights tonight. The gens ace batteries are definetly decent. Bought the 450mah 2s ones from hobbypartz. Was getting a solid 5 minutes of flight with plenty of power left. Charging now so will see how much actually goes back into them.

Couple of cartwheels tonight due to KE a little low. Haha. Worked on a lot of that and a bunch of inverted harrier flying. Finally getting comfortable with both. New favorite thing is inverted a foot off the ground with a roll to land. Pretty awesome.

Perfect night tonight. No wind at all. Wish I hadn't busted off an aileron connecting rod or I woulda flown a whole bunch more.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:48 AM
Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
I think I should have enough now. Wel maybe.

Thats only twelve?? What if something happens to one? Then there would only be eleven! You have to think ahead man!!
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
Old Jul 17, 2012, 06:12 AM
3d addict
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravitycheat View Post
Thats only twelve?? What if something happens to one? Then there would only be eleven! You have to think ahead man!!
I'm pretty sure hobbypartz will send me more when I give them money. I case something happens to one. Hahaha.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
I'd send you some of mine but my planes wouldn't like me very much. Oh wait, with how I fly they don't like me anyways.
I been flying in wind for so long I forgot what it was like to fly in calm weather. Got about a hours worth before the winds came up Sunday. Man it's much more fun when you're not fighting 15 to 25 mph winds.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Jul 17, 2012, 09:21 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
USA, TN, Gallatin
Joined Aug 2009
3,312 Posts
Well it didn't take long before mine hit the ground in an unintended way. I was practicing rollers too low in the yard last night and bounced it pretty good. No damage to plane or prop.

This is what I use for my O-rings. It's cheap and will make more rings than I'll ever need. It lasts a lot longer than the green tubing and doesn't dry rot as fast. If you need it tighter, just slice off a thicker ring. I use it on all of my foamies, my quadrotor and it holds the wings together nicely on the larger Skywing/Hokusei/3DHS hybrids... good stuff.
SD One. is offline Find More Posts by SD One.