HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:08 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,020 Posts
I'm a pretty 'carefree' builder myself when it comes to slight appearance imperfections.....

HOWEVER....

in this case, believe it or not, it might be that that much offset will cause the fuse to be pulled into a banana shape and not perfectly true.

Perhaps not, but I would definitely carefully check.

On this type of plane, the most important thing is that all the glued parts be axial, level, even, lined up, etc.

So I'd carefully check to see what stresses that might be causing. It's possible you'll decide to carefully use a scalpel to undo the bond, then carefully align and re-bond. If needed, it's a tough bird, it can take it!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
On my two builds I pretty much followed the build Cody did with a few exceptions. No landing gear on my first Pitts and ez connectors for the aileron links on both of them. I did watch the video but had built my first before it so I knew what to expect for the second Pitts.

stgdz you could add some epp if you have it to make it square. It's a learning process you should have seen my first foamy build. I was shocked it even flew.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,572 Posts
Ah- it's fine!!! Needs a little down and little right for the prop/motor anyway.

I think you just saved a washer! Fly it as is (but put a washer in to add a touch of right thrust).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Due to my awesome building this happened. Should I just add some extra welders and make up the gap or cut the EPP. I'm probably going to make up the 1/8" gap with welders. Its not like it will make a difference in a year after flying this
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:30 PM
Tresure Coast Florida
Joined Feb 2004
254 Posts
The video and directions are great. Any way you build it it will fly if you balance and trim it correctly.

But... and I hate to say it, if you want the best practices to build the plane you want you should read the 2462 posts above, take notes and execute your own plan. There is a TON of wisdom to be had and there are worthwhile mods.
Backyard is offline Find More Posts by Backyard
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:52 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,642 Posts
I hadn't used landing gear on with my Pitts or my CY.
No issues, they are easy to land and no LG hassles. Lighter too. I would only add LG if I going to be landing on
Concrete or indoor, where the wheels will rotate freely.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:55 AM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
thanks guys.

its not my first build, ive built 2 CY lites now, and im halfway through the crack wing at the moment. i just thought there were a few typos or steps out of order that i heard about here or there... but its probably rather straight forward like all the TH stuff.

i'll just go over it again today to refresh myself before beginning the build tonight.
swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:59 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampflyer View Post
thanks guys.

its not my first build, ive built 2 CY lites now, and im halfway through the crack wing at the moment. i just thought there were a few typos or steps out of order that i heard about here or there... but its probably rather straight forward like all the TH stuff.

i'll just go over it again today to refresh myself before beginning the build tonight.
if you see something while you are doing the build, especially if it does not make sense let me know, if an edit or correction is needed we will get it done.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:02 AM
United States, FL, Keystone Heights
Joined Dec 2012
627 Posts
will do.

swampflyer is offline Find More Posts by swampflyer
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:32 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Due to my awesome building this happened. Should I just add some extra welders and make up the gap or cut the EPP. I'm probably going to make up the 1/8" gap with welders. Its not like it will make a difference in a year after flying this
As others have said a bit of down thrust might not be detrimental but even so I think I'd get the steel rule out and trim it down. I'm thinking that when you glue the fibre plate on you want the thing to sit flat and have good surface area for the glue.

I can see what Tracknoob is on about. If it's that far out down the length of the fuse I suppose it could have induced a warp, check that before you decide what to do.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,642 Posts
The cold doesnt get in the way when you want a crack fix

More snow blanketting the UK again. It was bl@@@y cold. -2 and my batts were really getting affected.

Snow - Revisited (4 min 11 sec)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:00 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice Jimbo. I was out in it today up at our new field, brrrrrrrrrr. Though once again you've got more snow than we have
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
Nice one jimbo, the Piits against the snow is cool.

We didn't get as much snow this year as the last few which is cool with me. Going from spring like weather to crazy cold, is annoying though. Waiting to see what the weekend looks like. Going get the Pitts out with the mini if it's nice.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:32 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Nice Jimbo. I was out in it today up at our new field, brrrrrrrrrr. Though once again you've got more snow than we have
That's crazy. Our weather is truly screwy.
They have coined a new name for our climate change adjusted weather patterns.
'Monsoon Britain'
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:35 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Nice one jimbo, the Piits against the snow is cool.

We didn't get as much snow this year as the last few which is cool with me. Going from spring like weather to crazy cold, is annoying though. Waiting to see what the weekend looks like. Going get the Pitts out with the mini if it's nice.
You're in Southern USA/Texas aren't you?. Isn't cold for you about 80F If only we had some of your weather!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:31 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Flew the Yak Lite in the frontyard yesterday and it was a blistering 38 degrees. I have flown in 18 degrees earlier this winter and was fine. Just throw a hat and the transmitter glove in the car and I am ready to go!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt