1,579 Posts
Oops!
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:29 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
4s must be mental did you get your motor specially wound at that kv? the motor comes in at nearly 30g too, what esc did you use to cope with 4s? and what weight are your packs? I see your down to around 3.3v per cell too, there's not a lot left to give in those either.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:26 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,658 Posts
Seems to me to be the batteries are the overriding factor in the equations here.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:16 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
That's gotta be a typo, that little 12 amper couldn't handle that.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:24 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
That's gotta be a typo, that little 12 amper couldn't handle that.
Not with a fully charged pack that is for sure. I will have to do some readings with my Watt Meter and 2S packs.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
I'm on the stock 12A esc. However, I don't use the 9x3.8 at sea level. 90% of the time I'm using the 8x3.8 so plenty of room to spare.

Yes, Ken specially wound the motor for me. On 8x3.8 it climbs out pretty fast and crazy KE spin on the Hitec HS-5055MG. A friend has me on video but I can't seem to up load it thus the "oops!" in post 2431 above. I'm getting 4:30 on the nano-tech 450mAh 60-130C.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:17 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
Aileron adjuster

Here in Texas the weather changes from cold to hot at the drop of a hat and foam expands and metal changes too. I found myself having to make adjustments frequently. I put a straight wire on one end of the aileron hookup and used a adjustable connector in the control horn as you can see. I got tired trying to hit the small Phillips head screw on the connector with my screwdriver so I scuffed up the screw and the .060 wire with 1200 grit wet dry sandpaper and soldered the .750 inch long wire to it. Notice also that I had to cut the inside edge of the foam on the aileron out so that I could get to the "handle". Now I can easily make the needed adjustments by hand.
To be sure that I had the ailerons "square with the world" before adjusting them I cut a jig on my laser out of 1/8" acrylic to insure they were flat. It goes over the top and bottom of the wing to make sure that the aileron is flat while I tighten everything up. While I was cutting I made the jig fit the thickness of the foam for both the Pitts and the CrakYak so that is why you see the extra groove in the picture. The jig actually is upside down in the pictures. I don't know if you can see the feet on the top of the jig in the picture but you just flip the plane over so that the feet are resting on something flat and then do your adjustments. You could easily make one of these jigs out of two flat pieces of wood the length of the width of the wing and aileron. One piece on top, one piece on bottom, joined at the end with another piece of wood at one of the ends. You can use the jig on the rudder and the elevator too.
All of this sure has made making exact adjustments a lot easier.
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Last edited by MOfroggy; Jan 30, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:01 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,347 Posts
Nice chopper and MO!

Laser cutter, oh you lucky dog. Haven't needed to adjust the ailerons on mine as much as the rudder and elevator. Have my easy conntectors on top if I do and small screwdriver with the handle cut off does the job.

The dx8 is back from Horizon all fixed and ready. Didn't realize the attenna was broke as well so they replaced it too. First rate service from them.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:16 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Nice chopper and MO!

Laser cutter, oh you lucky dog. Haven't needed to adjust the ailerons on mine as much as the rudder and elevator. Have my easy conntectors on top if I do and small screwdriver with the handle cut off does the job.

The dx8 is back from Horizon all fixed and ready. Didn't realize the attenna was broke as well so they replaced it too. First rate service from them.
I was using a screwdriver for a while too before I changed to the "handles". My screwdriver had a long shank and a regular handle. I just cut a small notch in the canopy so I could lay the shaft of the screwdriver in it and hit the screw head on.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:09 AM
United Kingdom, Gunnerton
Joined Dec 2010
1,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
To be sure that I had the ailerons "square with the world" before adjusting them I cut a jig on my laser out of 1/8" acrylic to insure they were flat.
What laser cutter do you have and do you find you use it much? I'd love to have a laser cutter! If only cost and space weren't a concern.
jcansdale is offline Find More Posts by jcansdale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:08 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Laser cutter would be nice to have !

A 3D printer would be even better !
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:05 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcansdale View Post
What laser cutter do you have and do you find you use it much? I'd love to have a laser cutter! If only cost and space weren't a concern.
I have a 40 watt VersaLaser with a 12" x 16" workspace. I use it in my business and I run it about 6 hours a day. I just like designing and making things for my RC planes. I have designed servo arm extensions and custom control horns for a lot of different servos and planes. I got tired of having to send my DX6i's back to have the trim switches replaced so I designed one on my laser and now I have two lifetime supplies of them. I cut out templates for custom paint jobs on my wings and fuselage's and I also cut out templates for cutting out foamies. Once I do the programming I just cut out the template and then lay it on the foam and whack it out without having to do all of the measuring over and over. When I get through, all of the control horn slots, servo holes, ailerons and battery trays are cut exactly. I can cut out a 16" KF2 wing in about 5 minutes from start to finish.
The laser takes up about the space of a large microwave and costs around $10K. Once you get one your mind starts working and you can find all sorts of things to make with it.
I cut the control horn sets for TH before they changed to wood and PCB material.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:15 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Laser cutter would be nice to have !

A 3D printer would be even better !
I am looking at 3D printing but until they get the resolution down along with the price I am going to wait. I figure 3D printers are at about the dot matrix printer stage of their evolution and in about 18-24 months somebody like Hewlitt Packard or Epson will jump in there and come out with a line that will be a lot better. The programming software is a little tedious right now too. It is kind of like learning a second language to come up with your own designs. There are a lot of public domain .stl files out there but I can't see a use for printing out a pink squirrel:>)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
I can't see a use for printing out a pink squirrel:>)
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:05 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,347 Posts
That's pretty cool Mo. I'd like to get one but wow they cost a good penny. Saving up for a phlatprinter think I'd have fun with one. Maybe a laser cutter down the road.

That was a good one track. Thanks to that movie, my sister and I came up with a inside joke about that. The wee little critters are all over here.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot