SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
That's what i am finding out too. It's just that my radio has mixes so i thought i would give them a try. Had the radio going on 4 years and never had a chance to mess with the mixes.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
On my DX6i I've been reading about it and I dont see how it would do anything for me. Maybe I'm reading it worng. I get the elevon thing for wings the flaperon so you can have flaps and ailerons all in one and the V-tail setting but thats about it. I'll read it again but its not a very detailed section in the book. Also I need to check out youtube. They usually have some good videos on this sorta thing.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old May 13, 2012, 02:45 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
What most use mixing for on models like these is to get rid of coupling in knife edge flight(ex; the plane pulls toward the gear or canopy, or wants to roll one way or the other). The main mixes to get rid of those issues are rudder to elevator mix and rudder to aileron mix, rudder being the master on both mixes. Basically you are using the mixes so that the plane will fly straight in knife edge flight without you having to manually input elevator or ailerons to keep it in a perfect knife edge.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Go to the adjust list on the dx6i then mix one. Change it from INH to ACT. Then you can set up those type of mixes with the rudder being the master. If i notice coupling i usually adjust my mix by only a few percent at a time until the coupling has gone away
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 13, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Its still raining here so it will have to wait. With the Crack Pitts its all in slow motion so I dont think I'll need mixing for it but I'll try it on the CY just for fun and learning. I got to fly 5 packs this morning before the rain so I cant really give too much input about it other than I really like it.

Tom
Old May 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,745 Posts
Week End of Flying...

Did tons of flying this week-end (73 paks), most of which was on the little Pitts monster. If you seen my earlier post you already know that I am really pleased with this machine. Mostly flew with 3s, the new 1450 motor and 8" prop. I did get landing gear, but have not installed it, and probably won't at this point. Indoor funfly next week-end, will be courious to see how it does inside. I would highly recommend this for your 1st and 2nd plane...!!!
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old May 14, 2012, 06:59 AM
morgantown, wv
Joined Mar 2004
2,439 Posts
I had about a month of flying planes before i got the pitts. So this was my first 3d foamy and i love it. I would recommend it for a first plane also. The only bad habit that i need to break is from flying helis for 8 years is when i roll to inverted i naturally want to lower the throttle. I need to get that out of my head and just keep the throttle where it is. That is something that will come with time and practice.
buster7467 is offline Find More Posts by buster7467
Old May 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdee View Post
Week End of Flying...

Did tons of flying this week-end (73 paks), most of which was on the little Pitts monster. If you seen my earlier post you already know that I am really pleased with this machine. Mostly flew with 3s, the new 1450 motor and 8" prop. I did get landing gear, but have not installed it, and probably won't at this point. Indoor funfly next week-end, will be courious to see how it does inside. I would highly recommend this for your 1st and 2nd plane...!!!
cdee
Congrats cdee glad you enjoying her.
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old May 14, 2012, 09:11 AM
Round Lake, IL
Joined Sep 2005
151 Posts
Finished mine up this morning. Axi 2204/54 on 3s and 8x4.3 prop. Easy build, everything fit great. Plan to fly it this afternoon or evening.
bjohnson80 is offline Find More Posts by bjohnson80
Old May 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnson80 View Post
Finished mine up this morning. Axi 2204/54 on 3s and 8x4.3 prop. Easy build, everything fit great. Plan to fly it this afternoon or evening.
Nice build and you're going to love the way she flies.I have flown mine with both 2s and 3s and I like it both ways. Maybe I should build another one so i don't have to change props
asosestrom is online now Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old May 14, 2012, 12:11 PM
Chris
Joined Apr 2012
165 Posts
Hi, I got mine friday and started that night. Finished it saturday. I wish the pdf instructions would have said to add the fuselage stiffners earlier. Good thing it looked ahead before the glue dried.

This is my first outdoor 3d plane and all I have to say is wow. I had between one and two hours 3d experience flying a fancy foam biplane outside before this plane.

This plane is AMAZING. Hovers and actually does not want to fall out of a hover even while descending. Knife edge with little to no rudder. This plane flys so gentle that you can slow it down to a crawl. Stall charatoristics what stall. It floats to the ground with only elevator input. I have only used 2 cells so far but I have two 3 cells that I got for this because I thought how it this going to pull out of a hover with only a 2 cell 450. Wow was I wrong.

I flew it in 15mph plus wind yesterday just to see what it would do. No problem as long as you keep it facing the wind although not much fun to fly in that much wind but what is. I will try 3 cell soon just for fun. I have not cut a slot for the battery yet. I have just been experimenting with different positions with velcro. I had to cut such a nice plane plus once I cut it there is no going back. Should I make the slot slightly small so it is a friction fit. This is one of the other reasons that I did not cut it yet.

How are you guys keeping your battery in?

Also the prop saver oring that came in my power pack was not tight enough and caused a couple of no power landing. No damage. The propeller would come loose but stay attached after some tight maneuvers. Finally the prop came off in the high winds and came down before the plane. The extra orings that I got from twisted hobbys were tighter and I have has not problem since except for more effort to put it on.

This is a great, gentle, and forgiving plane. Go buy one. Also the guy I talked to on the phone is very nice and more than willing to help you with anything. I had no idea that they are in new jersey until I asked where it was coming from. North Jersey to central nj is a short shipping trip. Now for my next plane. The 3d buster, a 39", or 44". Not sure yet but I will be ordering from them again and it should be soon.
chrisorbics is offline Find More Posts by chrisorbics
Old May 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I've been going to the hardware store and buying plumbing o-rings. Works fine. Nice and tight and they come off if you hit the gound a little too hard. Only problem with these is the same as the others. They're black so they are hard to find in tall grass. But, plumbing o-rings are cheap. Lowes/Home depot have them. So does my neighorhood hardware store. I've been thinking about trying to paint one orange and see what happens.

Tom
Old May 14, 2012, 01:16 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
.....plumbing o-rings......
Tom
Genius!

They come in assorted sizes (and sometimes even colors!).

Have you settled on a particular size that works best?

Dave

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old May 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisorbics View Post
Hi, I got mine friday and started that night. Finished it saturday. I wish the pdf instructions would have said to add the fuselage stiffners earlier. Good thing it looked ahead before the glue dried.

This is my first outdoor 3d plane and all I have to say is wow. I had between one and two hours 3d experience flying a fancy foam biplane outside before this plane.

This plane is AMAZING. Hovers and actually does not want to fall out of a hover even while descending. Knife edge with little to no rudder. This plane flys so gentle that you can slow it down to a crawl. Stall charatoristics what stall. It floats to the ground with only elevator input. I have only used 2 cells so far but I have two 3 cells that I got for this because I thought how it this going to pull out of a hover with only a 2 cell 450. Wow was I wrong.

I flew it in 15mph plus wind yesterday just to see what it would do. No problem as long as you keep it facing the wind although not much fun to fly in that much wind but what is. I will try 3 cell soon just for fun. I have not cut a slot for the battery yet. I have just been experimenting with different positions with velcro. I had to cut such a nice plane plus once I cut it there is no going back. Should I make the slot slightly small so it is a friction fit. This is one of the other reasons that I did not cut it yet.

How are you guys keeping your battery in?

Also the prop saver oring that came in my power pack was not tight enough and caused a couple of no power landing. No damage. The propeller would come loose but stay attached after some tight maneuvers. Finally the prop came off in the high winds and came down before the plane. The extra orings that I got from twisted hobbys were tighter and I have has not problem since except for more effort to put it on.

This is a great, gentle, and forgiving plane. Go buy one. Also the guy I talked to on the phone is very nice and more than willing to help you with anything. I had no idea that they are in new jersey until I asked where it was coming from. North Jersey to central nj is a short shipping trip. Now for my next plane. The 3d buster, a 39", or 44". Not sure yet but I will be ordering from them again and it should be soon.
Glad you like it! It is indeed an awesome flying airplane.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old May 14, 2012, 01:38 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I've been going to the hardware store and buying plumbing o-rings. Works fine. Nice and tight and they come off if you hit the gound a little too hard. Only problem with these is the same as the others. They're black so they are hard to find in tall grass. But, plumbing o-rings are cheap. Lowes/Home depot have them. So does my neighorhood hardware store. I've been thinking about trying to paint one orange and see what happens.

Tom
I've been buying surgical tubing at Lowe's...I think it's 1.09/foot. Then use an X-acto knife to cut off little rings that are about 3/16" in length, and use those to hold the prop on. Works well and if you lose the ring, just cut another one. 2 feet of tubing will last forever.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik