Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:26 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
i had to move my battery towards front of plane about 1/2 inch to get the balance where they say cog is. It is way way better now,and just want to thank all of you for the great info wow ! i put my endpoints up to 120 for ailerons and smacked her into the ground LOL it defiantly turns now. i think ill tune them back down a bit,no damage but a broken prop .. Been having problems getting it to turn correctly like ailerons are not moving enough. think i just need to loosen the welders a bit more (put to much in hinges)
Definately try to flex the ailerons more... let them stay bent for an hour or so. Also, ailerons will turn these planes, but the rudder will make them spin.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
i had to move my battery towards front of plane about 1/2 inch to get the balance where they say cog is. It is way way better now,and just want to thank all of you for the great info wow ! i put my endpoints up to 120 for ailerons and smacked her into the ground LOL it defiantly turns now. i think ill tune them back down a bit,no damage but a broken prop .. Been having problems getting it to turn correctly like ailerons are not moving enough. think i just need to loosen the welders a bit more (put to much in hinges)
Use the rudder to turn the plane, with this plane you need to use the rudder. I hadn't used the rudder much before this plane but learned rather quickly that using the rudder is a necessity and is a great habit to have.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:02 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Use the rudder to turn the plane, with this plane you need to use the rudder. I hadn't used the rudder much before this plane but learned rather quickly that using the rudder is a necessity and is a great habit to have.
I second this. You can't bank and yank this plane. It just won't turn. Have to use the rudder.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
Definately try to flex the ailerons more... let them stay bent for an hour or so. Also, ailerons will turn these planes, but the rudder will make them spin.
wow that is good to know,i hardly ever use rudder on my other planes,so this will be a good new experience Playing with some ideas to keep prop off the ground. and stiffen things up just a bit. this is just in the testing phase,got some very light small wheels coming. pay no attention to the kitchen table i have ruined over the last year
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
With me, this is the first plane I have ever flown sucessfully. So I am getting pretty used to using the rudder to turn. When I fly other planes in Realflight I have to be careful not to use to much rudder, as it's what I am "used" to now.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:27 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,624 Posts
You should be flying this just with the rudder.
Your ailerons are just for rolling
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
You should be flying this just with the rudder.
Your ailerons are just for rolling
LOL would have been good to know just a wee bit sooner
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
I wouldn't worry about keeping the prop off the ground either. That's what the prop saver is for. Just make sure you cut the throttle before it touches down and you'll be fine. I have quite a few flights on mine, have crashed it more times than I can count, and still on the first prop.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I wouldn't worry about keeping the prop off the ground either. That's what the prop saver is for. Just make sure you cut the throttle before it touches down and you'll be fine. I have quite a few flights on mine, have crashed it more times than I can count, and still on the first prop.
just took it out for a test flight,it works okay,but mine seems to be level on cog but still wants to climb, going to put just a touch of down in elevator, ohh and yes she does turn with rudder very well
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
LOL would have been good to know just a wee bit sooner

The best ships are what they call "uncoupled" which means that each axis is completely unaffected by inputs on the other axis. Ailerons roll, and roll ONLY.... rudder yaws, and yaws ONLY, elevator changes pitch, and pitch ONLY, etc.

This is one reason I think learning on a three channel is a bad thing, as it teaches you that you can run around using the rudder to get bank angle and a coordinated turn, due to the dihedral and other design characteristics of the specifically designed three channel high wing trainer.

The great thing about this hobby is there is always another threshold, another thing to learn, another path to check out...

Of course, if you are perfectly happy with a three channel just putzing around in the sky, then that is the right way for you as an individual.

As you said though, having the right information at the right time is the part often missing.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
When I first got my Pitts I had the rudder servo go bad (not a Twisted servo) it was the strangest feeling to try and fly it with no rudder.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:41 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
When I first got my Pitts I had the rudder servo go bad (not a Twisted servo) it was the strangest feeling to try and fly it with no rudder.
heh heh

I've purposely yanked and banked mine, and it's fun to do, but certainly having the rudder unplugged would be odd, just as it's odd for a three channel guy to learn (on not only this but almost any bipe) that if you ever want to make the turn with a 'real' sport or acro plane, then the rudder is gonna have to be asked to lend a hand!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

The best ships are what they call "uncoupled" which means that each axis is completely unaffected by inputs on the other axis. Ailerons roll, and roll ONLY.... rudder yaws, and yaws ONLY, elevator changes pitch, and pitch ONLY, etc.

This is one reason I think learning on a three channel is a bad thing, as it teaches you that you can run around using the rudder to get bank angle and a coordinated turn, due to the dihedral and other design characteristics of the specifically designed three channel high wing trainer.

The great thing about this hobby is there is always another threshold, another thing to learn, another path to check out...

Of course, if you are perfectly happy with a three channel just putzing around in the sky, then that is the right way for you as an individual.

As you said though, having the right information at the right time is the part often missing.
great info thanks !
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:51 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
+1, my rudder servo went on my crack yak, and it was unflyable,
Not like my gliders, they fly happily on aileron/elevator, but come alive when you start coordinating the rudder. Not a lot of slope flyers know this, but not a lot of slope flyers have a twisted hobbies trainer too!
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,539 Posts
Ever got downwind on a windy day ? The rudder will get you back, the ailerons will get you into trouble. The rudder and a little down elevator does it.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ