HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:31 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
When I first built mine. I added a little welders to each hinge right near the outside ends. Maybe about an inch worth on the ailerons and half inch worth on the elevator and rudder. Just enough to keep them stronger in case they got snagged on any. Can't say whether it helped or not but I did rip half the elevator off on a nasty park bench. Lol. Had about 250 flights on mine before that Happenned so your mileage may vary.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:33 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,655 Posts
Since I started using blenderm on the hinge ends I have not torn a single hinge, and I used to tear them all the time.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Austrian adrenaline junkie...
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerduck View Post
Hey guys,

I saw my lower foam hinges are ripped a little bit at the horns, altough I put stripes over it.

And since the foam hinges on the double wings of the bipe make very much resistance for the servo (especially on max. throw) I thougt about cutting them and use this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

what do you think about that?!?
too much play? anybody done yet?

I love that plane, so I don`t want to mess it up...
Any idea somebody?
tigerduck is offline Find More Posts by tigerduck
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:14 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,493 Posts
TD when that happened on mine I used a bit of welders and a strip of blenderm. No problems after that, and I do abuse my Pitts. Oh what am I saying abuse all my planes. Looks like your idea would work though I don't know how long those hinges would last either.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Since I started using blenderm on the hinge ends I have not torn a single hinge, and I used to tear them all the time.
How long are the pieces of tape? You use Welders to hold the tape down?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Last edited by STLAV8R; Oct 12, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:28 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
How long are the pieces of tape? You use Welders to hold the tape down?
Just a little square the size of a postage stamp or so. Put a drop of glue at the end of the hinge, put a square of tape on it, and smooth it out until the glue comes out the sides of the tape.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:09 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
Just a little square the size of a postage stamp or so. Put a drop of glue at the end of the hinge, put a square of tape on it, and smooth it out until the glue comes out the sides of the tape.
Thanks Cody. Will try it out.
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:35 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I think my hinges being too stiff is the cause of some flying problems I've had. I did tape at the ends, plus welders along the whole hinge.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:46 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,493 Posts
stu just work the hinges some and they will loosen up. On one of my Pitts the hinge on it was more stiff than I like so I just worked them back and forth. Now it's nice and free.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:25 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thanks. I did that and it does help. Seems like after it sits for a few days they stiffen up a little. Is this possible? or in my imagination? lol
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:34 PM
Carpe Fermentum
United States, VA, Clifton
Joined May 2008
89 Posts
Regarding power - 3S is the way to go. I had some 2S batteries and it flew ok, but with the 3S it really takes off - tons of power.
DocOne is offline Find More Posts by DocOne
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocOne View Post
Regarding power - 3S is the way to go. I had some 2S batteries and it flew ok, but with the 3S it really takes off - tons of power.
I'll bet. I am still in training so 2s is all for me now. Can't wait untill I am skilled enough to run 3s. I still fly mostly at minimum power and the few times I have throttled up to 100% it seemed pretty fast. But with this plane I am flying very low and close to me too. Havent flown it in over a week now due to various reasons, and I miss it. Cant wait to get in the air again. I am also thinking of getting an AR Drone since they have the new version out. I had a 1.0 for a while but sold it as it was too darn hard to control. But, yes, that's another topic.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
For me, I don't need tons of power with this plane. Flies great on 2S and like the lighter weight.

I think I will dig my 3S pack out and try it again just to see the difference again.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:40 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Stuball. Welders along the entire hinge line is probably too much. I made that mistake on my Edge when they first came out. It was a bit dodgy but what I did was bent the surface to stretch the glue and very very carefully ran the tip of a #11 blade along it. Going by feel and sometimes it would take a few light passes until I could feel that I had reached the foam but not cut through it. The tape you have at the ends should be enough so anything in between that is just stiffening your hinge in my experience.

2s or 3s!!! that's the beauty of the stock power set. Change the prop, change the pack and change the beast your flying it really doesn't matter as long as your having fun and with the Pitts that's a given.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,709 Posts
She's done. She's fat. Very fat.
Ill call her the fat pitts.
212g including the 2s lipo..!!!! And excluding gear.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Last edited by jimbo320; Oct 14, 2012 at 06:52 AM.