HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:10 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,538 Posts
Cheezels,

I experimented on a newbie friend with a "detuned" TH Slick. Cut the throws way down and added a bunch of expo. On his maiden I instructed him to make his turns with the rudder (on left stick). The ailerons produce roll and it takes a tad of elevator to actually make the turn. He had a little stick time on an Easy Star so not completely new to R/C.

Well, his first flight with the Slick was great, including the landing. He now has a new "detuned" Pitts ready to go and I am sure it will work out for him. The Pitts is even slower than the slick.....Flying "3 mistakes" high not necessary now.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:34 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
A few things, mostly all my opinion, but we'll see what others say as well....

1. Welcome.
2. Don't feel that the Pitts is only for advanced pilots. Yes, it has the abilities of being a crazy acrobat in the sky, and the build is a tad tricky in a couple of spots, but it can fly slow, and with lower rates, it will make you better. I'm proof of that. Plus, it's very tough, and will take to grass crash landings like it belongs there. lol
3. I'm sure some folks with disagree with me here, but in regards to your rudder/3 channel planes... if you have the option of putting the rudder on your left stick, DO IT!! Learn to fly and turn with your rudder under your left hand. Learn everything you can about what the rudder does... right-side up, inverted, knife-edge (plane flying on it's side), etc.... I say this for two reasons... I learned to fly without using rudder, which now I'm trying to overcome and learning to use the rudder. In these slow fly and 3D planes, you use it A LOT. Old habbits are hard to break.... which leads me to my next point. If you "learn" to fly with rudder under your right hand, then switch to a 4 channel common setup, you'll have to teach yourself all over again.

Like I said, this is just my opinion... most people fly with a common radio setup, but there really isn't anything saying you can't have the channels where you want them I guess.... Keep us updated and best of luck!
I agree with all Jforbes wrote here. Especially having the stick setup how you'll end up flying with in the end. Having to use that left stick for more than the throttle is a lifesaver with these planes.Though my first model wasn't a TH plane I had to unlearn the bad habits I picked up when I was flying a 3 channel plane.

Best of luck to ya.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:52 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Agreed if your radio is inclined to put the rudder on the left do it no point staying on the right when you will end up on the left.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Last edited by Kris...; Oct 10, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:04 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
Wow cdee a nice shiney clean looking Pitts. Ain't seen one of those in a while. Mine is shall we say a tad bit dusty looking. Nice flying. Thanks for the video.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:44 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
3. I'm sure some folks with disagree with me here, but in regards to your rudder/3 channel planes... if you have the option of putting the rudder on your left stick, DO IT!! Learn to fly and turn with your rudder under your left hand. Learn everything you can about what the rudder does... right-side up, inverted, knife-edge (plane flying on it's side), etc.... I say this for two reasons... I learned to fly without using rudder, which now I'm trying to overcome and learning to use the rudder. In these slow fly and 3D planes, you use it A LOT. Old habbits are hard to break.... which leads me to my next point. If you "learn" to fly with rudder under your right hand, then switch to a 4 channel common setup, you'll have to teach yourself all over again.

!
OK, I'm one who disagrees. If you're learning to fly on a 3 channel plane like your Slow Stick, the primary turn function (in this case the rudder) should be on the primary turn stick (in this case the right stick) Transitioning from a high wing plane with no ailerons and the rudder on the right stick to an aileron controlled plane with the ailerons on the right stick will not require much adjustment at all since you're primary "turning" control is still on the right stick it will seem natural to you.

The reasoning behind this is simple. If you learn with your primary control movement on the left stick (rudder) when you transition to an aileron controlled plane the muscle memory you learned will take over and you'll be trying to turn with your left stick even though your primary control is now on the right.

As Aviefly said if your radio is capable, do a mix master aileron/slave rudder so that the rudder moves regardless of which stick you move.

But comma however, we're getting way off topic since this thread is about the Pitts, not primary controls.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Tewantin
Joined Jul 2012
51 Posts
OK peoples, thanks for all the input.

Looks like there's an argument for both methods, so I'll think a bit more whilst building the Slowstick.

Sorry for diverting the thread slightly................
cheezels is offline Find More Posts by cheezels
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
147 Posts
The last month, when the mood strikes me to fly a bi-plane, I have been choosing my new Techone Energy that I picked up on sale for $29, and let the Pitts sit. I really got to like the Energy, more so I thought, than the Pitts. But last night I gave the Pitts another try, and Wow, it is worlds ahead of the Energy. The Pitts is so good that I had forgotten.................shame on me!!! Now it is between the Pitts and Crack Yak.Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
Try having the slick as well and try to decide on which one to like. Couldn't make up my mind so I fly all three whenever I get a chance. I'm more partial to the Pitts since I love bipes. Need to do some work on my two, didn't notice some damage before. Going need more packs at the rate I'm going.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:56 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Ha... I'm with ya Kamikaze... I have the Pitts and Slick as well... and I feel like a dad of twins or something... I fly one, and look at the other and think....aww man.... I should be flying you.... so I put a pack in it.... then repeat..... lol
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined Jul 2012
147 Posts
Kamikaze, tell me what you like about the Slick vs the Yak. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to 'make room' for one of those as well.
markl22 is offline Find More Posts by markl22
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:32 AM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Pick the one you like the looks of best and buy that one. You won't be disappointed they both do everything so well.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:53 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
mark in all honesty I really don't have a favorite between the slick or yak. I fly them both though the slick was the first plane I got from TH. I ended up building the yak before it. Like Aaeolien wrote pick the one you like the whole TH lineup is made of some of the best foamies I've come accross so far.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:19 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,624 Posts
Servo arrived for my Pitts. Time to crack on with the Pitts.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,624 Posts
Shes taking shape. Oohh she feels way to flimsy for the abuse im likey to be kicking her way. I think she wont last long in my dumb thumbs..
Looks cool tho.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:57 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Dont forget Jimbo it moves a lot slower than the Crack makes rollers look majestic

I also think you will be surprised how tuff this little plane is.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...