SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 03:42 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmitchell View Post
Got mine in the air today. I am using the Value Hobby 2205 1660 KV 23g motor. On 2s with 9x3.8 prop it was a little under powered. 3s with 8x4 seemed better. I had to extend my nose to get the motor out front more to get the recomended CG using 450 mh 2s batts. My AUW with no gear is 7oz on the button. Looks like it is going to be a decent flyer. How many degrees of aileron travel are you guys getting. I have my end points at 125% and only get about 32 degrees. Seem like it needs more for the slow stuff.
Lee
I ran into the same problem with mine. Even though I had flexed all the surfaces before assembly, turns out they were too stiff. The servos didn't buzz or strain, but just couldn't move the ailerons far enough. I think my root cause was adding Welders to the hinge after assembly.

I took all the linkages off, flexed the surfaces and left them bent as far as they could go, for a few hours.

When I put it all back together, my travel was >45 degrees. I had to turn the dual rates down.

Moves much more freely now and I get the travel I was expecting.

Hope this helps!
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:53 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
dx18 wont bind

I just got a new DX18 and I am not having any sucess binding it to the orange receiver I am using. It binds fine with the DX8 still but I want to sell my 8 and just use my 18. Any ideas?

Thx in advance.

Finally got it to bind by placing transmitter and rx ant's touching. 1st time for that.
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Last edited by captdave221; Sep 28, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Got it to bind!!!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmitchell View Post
Got mine in the air today. I am using the Value Hobby 2205 1660 KV 23g motor. On 2s with 9x3.8 prop it was a little under powered. 3s with 8x4 seemed better. I had to extend my nose to get the motor out front more to get the recomended CG using 450 mh 2s batts. My AUW with no gear is 7oz on the button. Looks like it is going to be a decent flyer. How many degrees of aileron travel are you guys getting. I have my end points at 125% and only get about 32 degrees. Seem like it needs more for the slow stuff.
Lee
On one Pitts I get 45 degrees on the other I get less since I was a doof and applied welders to both sides of the hinge. What can i say...I like to experiment. Sooner or later I'll fix that problem, when the first Pitts is a non flying pile of foam.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:53 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Sooner or later I'll fix that problem, when the first Pitts is a non flying pile of foam.
That will be quite hard to do, believe me,lol. I have had some pretty good nosdives, crashes, and tree encounters. Mine is repaired several times and flies as good as new, maybe better! I ran through 4 packs today, no crashes, only once in a tree Even got some video to post later of a couple flights. I gotta say, the wind really makes a difference for me as a new pilot. No wind and I have much more confidence and success.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:21 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Hehe nice stub. It'll take a beating for sure. Hoping to get some good video tomorrow of some flying will post it as well if I do.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:40 PM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,659 Posts
The way I do hinges on my EPP planes is just to take little .5 inch wide cuts of Blenderm tape, apply a little Welders on the sticky side, then place it perpendicular over the hinge line every few inches.

It's lighter, stronger, and doesn't stiffen the hinges as much.
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:47 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I like the idea of Welders on the hinge, makes it stronger for sure. Just have to make sure to flex, flex, flex the hinge and really make sure it is loose and floppy, but not sloppy.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:32 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Training "wheel" bumper. I think it helped alot when I was continualy doinking the nose into the ground. Seems to help cushion landings on "hard" grass fields. A Piece of pool noodle.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:40 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Little bit of not so good iPhone video shot by my wife while I flew around, this thing is tons of fun! I even got brave and tried a roll or two.
Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts (1 min 17 sec)
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:33 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Nice one Stuball. Your doing all the right things and it'll get easier and smoother as time goes on. Good to see a bit of loop and roll going on and impressed at the use of rudder in turns. I know some old timers that have been flying for years and still don't know how to use that thing.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:03 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
675 Posts
Nice flying Stu. When you're going to roll, give a little up elevator first to get the nose pointing up slightly, then throw the ailerons to roll, you should finish at the same altitude you started that way. Keep practicing.
P.S. if you hold the elevator while you roll it'll be a snap roll
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
This I am blaming on that stupid crap app, RC Logbook. It's worthless to me. Anyway, trying to get the thing to work right, it starts and stops by shaking, it stopped on me midflight. I took my eyes off the plane to try and see what the hell was up with the recording of the flight, and bam, doinked it hard into the ground. Broke the spar Lesson learned though, NEVER take eyes off plane, for me, a newb anyway. Dam nnn
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
How best to repair? I'm thinking a tiny bit of epoxy on the spar, and Welders for the rest of the break.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
33 Posts
I would just glue the wing and spare back together with welders. Welders does a pretty good job on wood and fiber imo so I would not complicate the repair by using epoxy as well.
Belly Gunner is online now Find More Posts by Belly Gunner
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Yeah just use welders on it all. Will go back together easily.

I managed to tear off half my elevator today from the control horn to the end. Flew the last 3/4 of the battery with half an elevator. No real issues flying it other than I didn't quite have the elevator authority I like. Hahahaha. Was pretty funny. Snagged it on a park bench goofing around earlier. My father was like you are going to fly that? Hahah. Wish I had some video. Got it all fixed up used a bit of welders smoothed on both sides where the hinge would be and flies as good as new.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien