HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 11:50 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,626 Posts
Discussion
Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts 12 Build and Info Thread!

Product Page: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-30-E...-Pitts-M12.htm
Manual: http://www.twistedhobbys.com/media/C...al%20rev13.pdf

Coming home from an awesome week at SEFF I found a very welcome package at my house: the first of the production run of Twisted Hobby's brand new Crack Pitts!

I started flying for Twisted not long ago and after doing some promotion work with the awesome Crack Yak and Extra Slick Brad and Chris asked me if I would be interested in helping develop the next Twisted project, the replacement for the Crazy 88. I love biplanes and I love designing so I jumped at the opportunity!

We got the first prototypes from RCFactory and I built mine in a few quick nights. RCFactory's experience with F3P biplane design was immediately apparent...the first prototype was one of the most capable and stable airplanes I've ever flown! However, there was still a lot of work to do. The first airplane didn't quite have the roll response and yaw stability that we wanted. By tweaking the control surface size and shape, fuselage shape, and wing placement I was able to get the rudder coupling as close to zero as possible, and maintain the razor-sharp feeling that everybody loves about RCF/Twisted airplanes.

The other issue with the first prototype was the aesthetics....it was pretty much just a Crack Yak with two wings. That's cool, but we all agreed that it doesn't really make sense. Lots of the tweaks I made to the fuselage shape wound up pushing it in this direction, so we decided on a cracked-out model of the Pitts 12. The result is a version of the Pitts 12 done in the same way as the awesome Crack Yak. With both full scale planes sharing the same powerplant, it just kind of made sense. With some awesome graphics from Dan applied to it, this thing is one of the best looking foamies on the market!

The end result is the best small EPP biplane on the planet, and a fitting replacement for the Crazy 88. There is a huge amount of wing and side area, so the plane can be flown precisely at low airspeed, and at medium to high airspeed it tracks like a pattern plane. I have done some of the nicest slow rolls and rolling circles ever with this thing! That's quite a feat for any airplane, and almost unheard of for an EPP airplane this small. It's also extremely slow, smooth, and gentle when you want it to be. It's been compared to a Crack Yak in slow motion!

Of course, RCFactory's incredibly stiff, light, and durable EPP foam is here to give you a plane that flies as good as depron. The same proven construction techniques from the Edge, Extra Slick, and Crack Yak are also here, as well as some really ingenious new ideas for making a stiff and clean airframe that is light and durable.

Without further ado, let's build it!

Some important info for your build that wasn't conveyed in these photos:

- The four flat plywood fuselage braces should be glued to the vertical fuselage parts before the wings are glued on.

- It is usually not necessary to use the outermost hole on the aileron servo arm. The inner hole gives me all the throw I could ever need at about 120% ATV. Only use the outermost hole if you have difficulty achieving full aileron throw.

- The Crack Series 1450KV motor and ESC work great on a 3S battery as long as you change to a 8x4.3 prop. However 2S and a 9x4.7 prop provides plenty of power, and is light and smooth. You will smoke it on a 9x4.7 on 3S.

- If you elect to run it on 3S, carefully balance your propeller and use a heavy-duty O-ring or surgical tubing ring to hold the prop on....this motor has so much power on 3S that the prop will likely come off if you do not follow these steps.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Last edited by cwojcik; Jul 31, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 11:53 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,626 Posts
Some important info for your build that wasn't conveyed in these photos:

- The four flat plywood fuselage braces should be glued to the vertical fuselage parts before the wings are glued on.

- It is usually not necessary to use the outermost hole on the aileron servo arm. The inner hole gives me all the throw I could ever need at about 120% ATV. Only use the outermost hole if you have difficulty achieving full aileron throw.

- The Crack Series motor and ESC work great on a 3S battery as long as you change to a 8x4.3 prop. However 2S and a 9x4.7 prop provides plenty of power, and is light and smooth. You will smoke it on a 9x4.7 on 3S.

- If you elect to run it on 3S, carefully balance your propeller and use a heavy-duty O-ring or surgical tubing ring to hold the prop on....this motor has so much power on 3S that the prop will likely come off if you do not follow these steps.
Last edited by cwojcik; May 08, 2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:55 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,626 Posts
VIDEO!

Twisted Hobbys Crack Pitts M12 (8 min 12 sec)
Last edited by cwojcik; May 08, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:57 PM
Registered Abuser
United States, CT, Bethlehem
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts

I'm sitting at home refreshing the twisted site so I can order one of these! Maybe Tomorrow?
astolenpose is offline Find More Posts by astolenpose
Old May 03, 2012, 05:46 AM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,214 Posts
Totally awesome Cody, we can not stop flying the final production model ourselves, its such a pleasure to fly. If there was any model that can be compared as addictive to fly as the Crack Yak-55 well this model is the one.

There has been always been a stigma associated with biplane including bad coupling ,complexity of the build or bad tendencies but fortunately this one belongs far on the oposite side of the spectrum.

Everyone's part from designing and refining to her final state really shows, we are proud to have the Crack Pitts in our Twisted line up. They are now available on our site along with the manual, we hope you enjoy them as much as we do.

Brad
Twisted Hobbys

Crack Pitts manual link : http://www.twistedhobbys.com/media/C...al%20rev13.pdf
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Twisted Realm; May 03, 2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added links for the manual
Old May 03, 2012, 05:55 AM
Team AW
New Hampshire
Joined Sep 2009
16 Posts
Awesome job, Cody! Can't wait to see you wring it out.

Ty
Twister 72 is offline Find More Posts by Twister 72
Old May 03, 2012, 06:10 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Great job Cody!
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old May 03, 2012, 06:28 AM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Looks great Cody! I'll start my build this weekend!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old May 03, 2012, 06:51 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,143 Posts
Sweeeeet!!!!
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old May 03, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
5 Posts
Great job Cody!!! Can't wait to see how awesome it looks in the air!!!
Checkers30 is offline Find More Posts by Checkers30
Old May 03, 2012, 08:16 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
Crack Pitts... !!!

Looks like fun, can't wait
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old May 03, 2012, 08:32 AM
Conductor
Portland, Maine
Joined Dec 2010
120 Posts
Ordered and subbed.
IronHorse442 is offline Find More Posts by IronHorse442
Old May 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
CHOO CHOO
Northern Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
4,126 Posts
Awesome!
6L6Amp is offline Find More Posts by 6L6Amp
Old May 03, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, CA, Santa Rosa
Joined Mar 2011
874 Posts
Ordered:-)
asosestrom is offline Find More Posts by asosestrom
Old May 03, 2012, 08:55 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,654 Posts
I want posters of the Crack Series Girls and Planes.... BRAD???

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee