HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
ReVolt- Proprietary Insanity
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cox View Post
Looks great but I would change the canopy too. Also it is pretty small for a 90mm fan. I found this out with my Plenum sport jet, it landed at mach 1. The bungee launch model wasn't as bad but it was about 12oz lighter without retracts.
The fan being giant in proportion helps out in power effieciency. It is being designed to take all the components from a high power 70-80mm and use them on a mid power 90, though being designed on the computer I can make intakes for all 3 sizes of fan efficiently.

I'll put flaps on this to help with landing and it will be retract ready. I'm shooting for less than 6lb auw. Comments??
geostomp is offline Find More Posts by geostomp
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 12:29 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
If this will be a bungee jet, consider moving the stabs up on the fuse.
Less chance of damage during the landing phase.!!
Yeah my only concern is structural rigitity and producability. But I agree. I may dial the anhedral down just a hair and move the stabs up as well. I'm staying clear of the bungee this time.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Here it is with the horizontal stabilizers raised and wings filleted.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
I tryed to get a snap shot of the area inspection command but it hid as I exported the bitmap picture of the intake design. Each side is 3.125 inch^2 which will be 6.25in^2 total intake area.

I am getting 6.387in^2 on the exaust, so my intake area matches pretty well.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by geostomp; May 03, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,085 Posts
I just think its too short coupled. I would like to see the fuse elongated and the distanc increased between the stab and the wing. it will make it less pitch sensitve, roll, and knife edge better.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
I just think its too short coupled. I would like to see the fuse elongated and the distanc increased between the stab and the wing. it will make it less pitch sensitve, roll, and knife edge better.
How many inches given the jet is 40" now? My delema is my router table is 40" long so any longer will ad a degree of complexity with routing 40" and sliding the work piece down for another run to compete the remaining inches. All this will ad compexity and I'll loose some hair.

I'll consider any solutions. The only solution I can think of is to shorten the nose and add the length between the flying surfaces.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
Here it is with the intakes, wing, and canopy moved forward 2". I also lowered the nose just a hair.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 03:45 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Version 3 in paint with current modifications.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:37 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
8,085 Posts
Yeah I like that better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geostomp View Post
Here it is with the intakes, wing, and canopy moved forward 2". I also lowered the nose just a hair.
Tumbler is online now Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old May 05, 2012, 03:21 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
V3 looks really really good. This thread is a great idea to.

I think the canopy would look cool if it was a bit more sloped, with a more rounded shape where it meets the rear slope. Maybe move the start of the canopies slope back half an inch or so.
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old May 05, 2012, 08:19 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Semi symmetrical airfoil is faster than a symmetrical though symmetrical lands better and I'm seeing a lot of mass in the top view of the fuse, could thin it or coca cola bottle it as in area rule..
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamnitpete View Post
V3 looks really really good. This thread is a great idea to.

I think the canopy would look cool if it was a bit more sloped, with a more rounded shape where it meets the rear slope. Maybe move the start of the canopies slope back half an inch or so.
Slope moved back and a rounded shape added. Let me know exactly what you think of the shape.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Semi symmetrical airfoil is faster than a symmetrical though symmetrical lands better and I'm seeing a lot of mass in the top view of the fuse, could thin it or coca cola bottle it as in area rule..
I was always under the impression a flat bottom foil would give higher lift for landing which is why I have use them in the past. But I'm going ultra sport on this one so I am leaning toward the full symmetrical foil. If it helps for landing then that is perfect.

Honestly the airfoil hasn't been properly addressed and the wings you see are just for visual reference. I may have to take measurements and make a seperate wing solid body to be joined in an assembly that incorporates a wing saddle.

As fa as width, so far it is all controlled by the size of the componants. One compalaint I have had with my and others models is the ability to get the plane to CG without modifications. I am puting the fan in the empanage and the battery space will be a variable area from above the wing to about a battery length forward of the wing. There are many component combinations and I'd like them all to work.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 12:44 PM
USA, CA, El Dorado Hills
Joined Apr 2008
1,018 Posts
You should look at the wing tips on the Comparf Spark. The turn up like mini winglets...should help with lift and efficiency.

http://www.ductedfans.com/graphics/S...ack_praple.jpg

And personally I like longer wings as well to help with slow landings.
sbritton is offline Find More Posts by sbritton
Old May 05, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Sep 2007
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbritton View Post
You should look at the wing tips on the Comparf Spark. The turn up like mini winglets...should help with lift and efficiency.

http://www.ductedfans.com/graphics/S...ack_praple.jpg

And personally I like longer wings as well to help with slow landings.
Not sure what to say on the winglets, the spark incorporated them nicely and they fit the body style.

As for the wings, I have made jets with wings that span equal to the length of the fuselage and it lost the jet look. I good to know your thoughts though as I finalize the design.
RCG Plus Member