Old May 02, 2012, 09:04 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Help!
KK Board won't arm - Tried everything!

I have a huge problem. I got this board here for my first Quadcopter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KK-V5-5-Mult...item256fb9c4bb

I loaded the 2.0 firmware from the KK site onto it. No problems there.

I am using 30A Dentrum ESC's and the FrSky D4FR RX (http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=89) using the PPM output on CH2 (all channels CH1-8). I connected the RX to the Elevator Channel on the KK board. It seems to work. I am using the Turnigy 9X with er9x firmware.

My channel setup is:

CH1 = Ailerons
CH2 = Elevator
CH3 = Throttle
CH4 = Rudder

So far I did:

1) Calibrated each ESC and also tested each motor. All works fine.
2) Turn on TX and Throttle to 100%
3) Turning YAW to zero on KK board.
4) Turn on KK board - LED blinks once and turns off.
5) Motor starts with typical 2 beeps and go to a constant 1s beep after that.
6) Now KK board flashes very fast about 2-3 times every 1-2s.
7) Push Rudder to 100% right while holding throttle at 100%
8) I wait a few seconds and the ESC beep 2 times
9) Throttle to 0% while holding the rudder still 100% to the right
10) The ESC's now respond with a kind of melody-type tone (de-da-du) after a few sec and than start beeping every 1s again.
11) I turn off the board
12) Turn it back on with Throttle to 0% and YAW on center.
13) The first time after I do this, the LED is on the whole time and the ESCs start to beep erratic like an alarm tone.

Whatever I do, I don't get the board to arm. It tried with +/- 125% on Throttle/Rudder and every combination that is possible. I also tried a 2.5 Firmware from another site. Btw I am using the X-Copter firmware.

I will upload a video shortly!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 09:14 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZKK6...ature=youtu.be
Old May 02, 2012, 09:18 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
Once you program the esc's you need to unplug the power from the board then return the yaw pot to 50%.I have read there is no need for endpoint adjustment.
You should only get the normal first beeps then a short pause.the next beep you return the throttle to 0.
The reason you are getting rapid beeps is the throttle range isn't set or incorrect.
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old May 02, 2012, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
On some boards the yaw pot is backwards. You might try turning it the other way. To check, plug in the board with your tx on and throttle to zero. Turn the yaw pot one way and if you get a solid light, that will tell you where "zero" is on the pot. If it doesn't light up, turn it the other way. Also, your throttle end points on your transmitter should be 100%. 125% is too much.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old May 02, 2012, 10:00 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Ok I just tried in the other direction and yeah the light stays solid but when I try to calibrate the board, I only get the erratic tones from the ESC. If I turn it the other way I get the 2-3 flashes per second from the LED...

Do I need reflash or is the board damaged? Or what else can I do? Extremely frustrated - trying now for 3 days.
Old May 02, 2012, 10:24 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Are you using the Lazy Zero Flashtool? That's the one that's always worked for me. When you got the solid light, did you try doing the esc calibration? If all else fails, you can do one esc at a time hooked directly into your receiver. I've done it both ways. Either one works.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Old May 02, 2012, 10:55 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Yep that's what I am using. I calibrated again the ESC's individually - no luck.

What firmware should I use?
Old May 03, 2012, 06:34 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
You didn't do ESC calibration right. First turn YAW pot to zero. Then put throotle to max. Then turn on your board and wait for two beeps from esc's telling you that they have remebered your throotle and then just put your throotle stick to zero and not like you put it down and to the right. In the end your esc's sound is do-re-mi indicating that esc's are in programming mode.

And set your throttle in mix screen to 100% not 125%.
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old May 03, 2012, 06:39 AM
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2011
1,480 Posts
Quote:
I have a huge problem. I got this board here for my first Quadcopter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KK-V5-5-Mult...item256fb9c4bb

I loaded the 2.0 firmware from the KK site onto it. No problems there.

I am using 30A Dentrum ESC's and the FrSky D4FR RX (http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=89) using the PPM output on CH2 (all channels CH1-8). I connected the RX to the Elevator Channel on the KK board. It seems to work. I am using the Turnigy 9X with er9x firmware.

My channel setup is:

CH1 = Ailerons
CH2 = Elevator
CH3 = Throttle
CH4 = Rudder

So far I did:

1) Calibrated each ESC and also tested each motor. All works fine.
2) Turn on TX and Throttle to 100%
3) Turning YAW to zero on KK board.
4) Turn on KK board - LED blinks once and turns off.
5) Motor starts with typical 2 beeps and go to a constant 1s beep after that.
6) Now KK board flashes very fast about 2-3 times every 1-2s.
7) Push Rudder to 100% right while holding throttle at 100%
8) I wait a few seconds and the ESC beep 2 times
9) Throttle to 0% while holding the rudder still 100% to the right
10) The ESC's now respond with a kind of melody-type tone (de-da-du) after a few sec and than start beeping every 1s again.
11) I turn off the board
12) Turn it back on with Throttle to 0% and YAW on center.
13) The first time after I do this, the LED is on the whole time and the ESCs start to beep erratic like an alarm tone.

Whatever I do, I don't get the board to arm. It tried with +/- 125% on Throttle/Rudder and every combination that is possible. I also tried a 2.5 Firmware from another site. Btw I am using the X-Copter firmware.

I will upload a video shortly!
You're using what X-copter firmware from who? You have from Kapteinkuk (v4.7x), Minsoo Kim (XXcontroller KR), Mike Burtons (XXcontroller from Mike Burton) and you have Nexcopter from happysundays.

9) Throttle to 0% while holding the rudder still 100% to the right - this is not right
er9xuser is offline Find More Posts by er9xuser
Old May 03, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Sep 2010
286 Posts
You may need to reverse your throttle channel. It doesn't sound like you ever really completed throttle calibration.

The "alarm tone" from your ESC means your throttle is out of range from what it is expecting. This means you've never completed throttle calibration.
bladeaudio is offline Find More Posts by bladeaudio
Old May 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Alright - I got it that the ESC are arming properly .. but when I give Throttle, there is no movement of the motors.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:03 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,080 Posts
Lower your throttle trim on the Tx as low as it will go. Then try arming the board. If nothing happens, try reversing the throttle in your Tx and try again. Be sure not to have any props mounted when you try this.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old May 03, 2012, 08:04 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Ok I trimmed the Throttle the 95 now and the blue LED turns on. but still no motor movement.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:09 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Also tried throttle reversing.. nothing happens..
Old May 03, 2012, 08:12 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,080 Posts
Quote:
Ok I trimmed the Throttle the 95 now and the blue LED turns on. but still no motor movement.
I fly CC and am not too familiar with KK. Does the blue light mean the board has armed? If so, that's a step in the right direction.

Next, check your throttle subtrim and make sure it's set to zero. In fact, it's probably good to make sure all of the subtrims are set to zero unless you know of some KK reason why they shouldn't be.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Closed Thread