HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 08:37 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Discussion
Not Getting Full Power? Motor or ESC? Help

Hi Guys,

I am having an issue with my current setup.

I am running the following
Castle HV45 with v4.01 software
Hacker A40-10S V2
Zippy 4s4000 20c
APC 12x8 prop

When I tested this setup on the ground, I was getting 52amps on a fresh pack, 600ish watts. This matches pretty well with Ecalc

Yes, I realize this is slightly over the amp rating, but I have heard many people run over and this is only for a few seconds and I am only at 4s.

The first 3 flights felt fine. During the takeoff of the 4th it felt sluggish. Thinking I might have had an uncharged pack by mistake. I landed and went home for the day. The next day at the field on a fresh pack it felt sluggish. I checked the amp draw and I was pulling 30 amps.

Thinking I popped the ESC, I tried another Castle HV45 and was getting 53 amps again. I reinstalled all the gear and did a final test and I am back down to 25 amps at full power.

Im stumped guys! Is it the motor.

Im going to try the esc in another plane to check the draw.
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 09:36 PM
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Jul 2002
397 Posts
Looking in the castle forum I saw another member complaining about ver 4.01 of the soft ware.

So I downgraded to 3.27 and the problem went away......

Unfortunately, it still cost me a speed controller as I tossed the other one after my second controller worked.

And yes, the second controlled did stop working right after the 4.01 "upgrade"

arrrggg
DavidMC is offline Find More Posts by DavidMC
Old May 02, 2012, 10:29 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,358 Posts
Bummer, but something you need to know with your set up too.

Do not fall into the thought that when you back off the throttle your amps drop too.
Brushless systems don't work that way. A brushless esc, in layman's terms, is nothing more then three on/off switches. Each "switch" fires power to one each set of windings in the motor.
Those three "switches" determine your motor speed by how long each one is turned on and off.

The motor draws the same amps at idle as it does at WOT. It's just how long it does so that changes it's speed.

Where you can get fooled is reading a meter at anything below WOT. A meter averages readings, we'll say it take 10 readings a second. In those 10 seconds at less then WOT, it might see 5 full amp (on) readings, and 5 zero amp(off) readings. It takes all 10 readings and averages them out. And tells you the motor is only drawing half of what it's actually drawing in amps.

And in your case, you are over drawing the esc's capability, and things go south on you.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl