HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 06:21 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Discussion
What Do *You* Do With Your Clapped-Out Servos?

So, I've got a bag full of servos that have Bit the Big One in one way or another. Mostly they are stripped gears, but some are smoked completely. Those that have bad gears probby aren't worth taking apart to put fresh gears into them. Maybe one or two of the Futabas, but certainly not the el cheapo stuff from Hitec, Dynam, Vigor, Blue Arrow, hexTronik, Tower Pro, PowerHD, yada yada yada.

In particular I have a ton of TP51R/HXT500 "five gram" (actual 6.4 gram) servos that have stripped gears. Now, these are fine servos for lightweight applications in park flyers, but when you start to put them into 350 gram airplanes and smash the stuff into the ground, trees, and other airplanes, well...they tend to <ahem> stop working. [Note that the HXT900, the "nine gram" (actual 10.6 gram) bigger brother to the HXT500, is a very nice servo for four bucks. I haven't had a single one of those fail yet. I'm trying, though.]

So I've got all these multiple servos with munged gears. The servo amps still work; the motors spin; the pot still provides positional feedback. What do y'all think should be done with this stuff?
A Useless Geek is online now Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 02:31 AM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,160 Posts
Cut the leads off and save them.

Throw the rest away, to prevent them being accidently used again.
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old May 03, 2012, 02:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Whitstable
Joined Jan 2007
106 Posts
You could always replace the gear set. I just had a quick google search and found them at Hobby King for 99 cents. I know in your post you said that it was not worth it but if you have an order it would be worth added a few gear sets.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Gear_Set.html

Regards

JM
Reacherr is offline Find More Posts by Reacherr
Old May 03, 2012, 04:12 AM
Germany, HB, Bremen
Joined Jun 2010
921 Posts
Use the electronics as a brushed two way (micro) ESC. Or RC switch.
Zen09 is offline Find More Posts by Zen09
Old May 03, 2012, 04:38 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Okay let's see.

I don't want to throw away perfectly good servo amplifier and drive packages if I can get the gearset for less than a buck (well over a dollar after you add all the other costs involved). However, I also don't want to take apart a non-serviceable servo (heh) just to replace the broken gears. (Note that the HXT900 is held together with screws, so it can be rebuilt easily.) Keep in mind that this is a servo that comes to my front door for about $4.50 or so, maybe a little less.

I do like the idea of using some of these little buggers as switches. I'd have to add a FET or something to the output to get reasonable current capability, though, because the original servo motor is pretty tiny. Perhaps the idea of using some as ESCs for micro brushed planes makes sense. I like it!
Old May 03, 2012, 07:44 AM
Canada, ON, Windsor
Joined Apr 2008
970 Posts
I rarely ran the 500, but as one of the early proponents of the 900 had close to 170 flights on one of my early helis before servo failure. Just be aware there are LOTS of poor copies out there that try to push themselves off as true T/P HXT servos. I would strongly recommend against investing in gearsets if you have any time on these small servos or if so place them in a non critical app. The gears are not the only item to wear. Under heavy loads the motor brushes wear rapidly.

p.s. I could use several of the leads if possible. Some of the better servos came to me with cut or modded leads and I love to make them serviceable again.
Cougar429 is online now Find More Posts by Cougar429
Old May 03, 2012, 02:30 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Cougar, take a look at Hobby King for connector supplies. They have the best availability and prices I've ever seen on connectors, wire, cable, yada yada. Oh, and I've completely dropped the Deans T connector in favor of the vastly superior XT60 and its descendants.

But I'm not chopping up my "dead" servos until I know I really don't have any use for them. Heh. Waste not, want not, y'know?