HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
Noob super cub brushless questions

I picked up a super cub DSM 2 months ago as my first adventure into RC. I bought this plane with the intended use of using the floats and attaching my GoPro camera to the bottom to film wakeboarding while operating it from the boat. I've gotten pretty comfortable with flying it with only one nose dive so far and am looking to upgrade to a brushless motor for the extra power to pull the weight of the gopro(5.9oz) and the floats(5.5oz) around. The boat usually goes 24-25mph while towing a rider so ideally that would be the most common flight speed but I need to be able to fly faster than that sometimes to catch up to the boat and what not.
I have pretty much ZERO knoledge of RC stuff so please don't use technical terms to try and explain things to me.

So for my questions:
I have the stock Park 11.1v 1300mah Lipo battery that came with the plane and I just ordered two Thunder Power 2100mah 3 cell 25C batteries to use with the brushless motor. From what I understand I can just get a brushless motor, motor mount and ESC? I have been reading a bunch of threads on the super cub and would possibly make some ailerons later on if that makes a difference in what I should get as far as motor and esc go.
I read Zooka's super cub brushless thread seen here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1610543
and he seems to have a similar goal as I do with carrying the camera.

I guess my overall question is what combo of motor, prop and esc would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Ryanw209 is offline Find More Posts by Ryanw209
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 05:34 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
You might want to take a look at the giant Super Cub thread over in the beginners section, it has the answers to just about any question you have on that plane as well as plenty of people who have done what you're looking to do.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 02, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Yea I saw that thread but I don't have the time or patience to read through 500+ pages. I've search around here for the last few weeks but can't make heads or tails out of most the stuff.
Last edited by Ryanw209; May 03, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 12:58 AM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
There is a vast amount of information out there on this subject, to a degree that it's is definitely time consuming. I pulled some links from the Ultimate HobbyZone SuperCub Help Thread (Part 4) to hopefully make your life easier.

Brushless Conversion
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=106813
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...07#post9576307
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=178192
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10926162
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post11039049
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post11099778
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post11106495
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post11381838

I don't have any hand's on experience with the HZ Super Cub but I've done a fair amount of reading and have a HZ Mini Super Cub that I'm about to swap over to brushless. While doing my reading, I also put together a bit of a wishlist for a possible future brushless HZ Super Cub build.

Motor - Turnigy Park480 Brushless Outrunner 1020kv
Electronic Speed Control - Turnigy Plush 40amp Speed Controller
Optional Motor Mount - Super Cub Motor Mount for a Turnigy Park 480 This is not required, but it automatically aligns the motor for the proper thrust angle.

You can reuse the receiver and servo's that come with the DSM2 version. I plan on doing a build from a bare fuselage, and these were also on my wishlist, so I included these in case you need to replace these parts in the future or want to do it during the conversion.

Receiver - OrangeRx R610 (Works with DX6i and other Spektrum Transmitters)
Servos - HXT900 9g(HZ Super cub has one for the rudder and a second for elevator)

I hope this comes in handy.
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Old May 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Thanks Rex. I've checked out a few of those links before but it's a lot for me take in as a noob. I stumbled across webocalc last night but I can't seem to get results for some reason. Can someone help me out with this? The specs of my super cub are as follows:
Stock fly weight 25oz + floats(5oz) and camera(6oz)= 36oz
Wing span 48"x7 3/8"=345sqin

As stated above I will be using thunder power 3s 2100mah lipo's.

I'll probably end up with the turnigy park 480 but not sure what kv and prop would be best for carrying the added weight. Thank you!
Old May 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Go to the S Cub thread and search for your motor by name. If you want prop info, search the prop size. If you want ....... etc etc etc I am not trying to be rude, but the search is there for a reason and most of us right here don't have the info you want on the tip of our tongues. I am reading about my newest plane, and have been for a week. Sometimes it takes time. BTW, a 450 is a lot of motor on the S Cub, a 480?
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old May 04, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
Id recommend a 950kv motor at around 200watts with a 10x8
. Youll also want reinforce your cub with carbon fiber rods to handle the extra power and weight.
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Last edited by djacobox372; May 04, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:46 PM
Go Ducks
United States, OR, Milwaukie
Joined Feb 2012
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanw209 View Post
Thanks Rex. I've checked out a few of those links before but it's a lot for me take in as a noob. I stumbled across webocalc last night but I can't seem to get results for some reason. Can someone help me out with this? The specs of my super cub are as follows:
Stock fly weight 25oz + floats(5oz) and camera(6oz)= 36oz
Wing span 48"x7 3/8"=345sqin

As stated above I will be using thunder power 3s 2100mah lipo's.

I'll probably end up with the turnigy park 480 but not sure what kv and prop would be best for carrying the added weight. Thank you!
Anytime. I will mess with the web o calc a bit and see what I can come up with.

As djacobox mentioned, make sure you reinforce the wing with a carbon fiber spar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Go to the S Cub thread and search for your motor by name. If you want prop info, search the prop size. If you want ....... etc etc etc I am not trying to be rude, but the search is there for a reason and most of us right here don't have the info you want on the tip of our tongues. I am reading about my newest plane, and have been for a week. Sometimes it takes time. BTW, a 450 is a lot of motor on the S Cub, a 480?
Don
Yes, the 480 is a lot of motor for the Super Cub, but it's also an extremely popular motor to pair up with the HZ Super Cub. It works out to be right around the same weight as the stock motor and gear box and the readily available mounts makes things easier for those getting into the hobby or that don't want to fabricate a mount. With a bit of throttle control, it also allows for longer flights. Just my thoughts on it anyways.
RexSe7en is offline Find More Posts by RexSe7en
Last edited by RexSe7en; May 05, 2012 at 12:07 AM.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
Don
I've been using the search and reading threads on here for probably a month and was just looking for someone who could give me a bit of advice on the specifics. From my research the 480 motor is the most popular for the cub and the 450 is second.
Old May 06, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexSe7en View Post
Anytime. I will mess with the web o calc a bit and see what I can come up with.

As djacobox mentioned, make sure you reinforce the wing with a carbon fiber spar.

Yes, the 480 is a lot of motor for the Super Cub, but it's also an extremely popular motor to pair up with the HZ Super Cub. It works out to be right around the same weight as the stock motor and gear box and the readily available mounts makes things easier for those getting into the hobby or that don't want to fabricate a mount. With a bit of throttle control, it also allows for longer flights. Just my thoughts on it anyways.
Thank you again for the help. My ADD got the best of me and I couldn't wait any longer. I ended up with the turnigy 480 1020kv with the aluminum mount just because I don't have to mess with fabricating a mount and worrying about the angle. I also bought about 5 different prop sizes so I guess trial and error will be the ticket for my research. I'll pick up some 5mm carbon fiber rods for reinforce the wings and such.
Old May 06, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
183 Posts
Quote:
Yea I saw that thread but I don't have the time or patience to read through 500+ pages. I've search around here for the last few weeks but can't make heads or tails out of most the stuff.

Patience or laziness really is the same. When I was modding one of mine I read though many of them and searched Google for the rest. If you want to learn and actually understand you need to read through it. Sorry but it's the truth
on1wheel01 is offline Find More Posts by on1wheel01
Old May 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by on1wheel01 View Post
Patience or laziness really is the same. When I was modding one of mine I read though many of them and searched Google for the rest. If you want to learn and actually understand you need to read through it. Sorry but it's the truth
I work over 75 hours a week on top of taking classes. When I have 200 hours to spare I'll read the 2000 pages of super cub thread. Thank you for your pointless and non-informational post.
Old May 06, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:
Nah man nobody expects you to read the whole thread. Go in there and ask.

Quote:
I work over 75 hours a week on top of taking classes. When I have 200 hours to spare I'll read the 2000 pages of super cub thread. Thank you for your pointless and non-informational post.
Eh...nobody gonna wanna help you if you post like that though. Just roll with it brotha.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old May 06, 2012, 05:12 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,954 Posts
Quote:

I guess my overall question is what combo of motor, prop and esc would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Some people dont like buying from china. What bout you?
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old May 06, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wopachop View Post
Nah man nobody expects you to read the whole thread. Go in there and ask.

Eh...nobody gonna wanna help you if you post like that though. Just roll with it brotha.
Sorry. I didn't appreciate being called lazy. As stated before I've been reading for about a month and figured it was time to ask a question that someone might be able to answer in 2 seconds instead of spending another month researching.