Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Newsflash

6/6/2012 - RFJ (aka Billy Whizz) has successfully test flown his Veron Phoenix. Come on guys, at the rate he builds he will have finished another before the rest of us get to fly ours!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:28 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Time to bump this thread to, hopefully, elicit some more support

Most clubs these days seem to be infested with ARTFs and foamies and fliers with little knowledge or interest in anything else so it's always good to share ones appreciation of these models and the building skills involved with like minded people, ie. real aeromodellers, even if they are "virtual"

So why not join in the fun.

Ray
Thinking is a legitimate part of the creative process, Ray! I'll admit that if anything can get me attempting to arrange badly cut pieces of balsa into a shape roughly resembling a model aircraft, it's this thread. It's been 15 years, several house moves and one child since I last built a balsa model (a Carl Goldberg Gentle Lady); one has no building board, very little time, and my 'shop' would be a corner of a very full loft. But I have assembled a couple of foamies there (so shoot me), which have got me in the air. But even I will say that assembling ain't not the same as building.

But I have dug out some plans, and a part-built Gypsy. I'm ruminating. Whatever it will be will be a sloooowwwww build. It will also be electric and RC. It would more than likely be a KeilKraft model, because as a young lad they were almost exclusively the models I made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I remember happily carving away at the cowling of a Skleada Auster C/L and suddenly wondering why it was turning red, having neatly carved most of the end off my left index finger without feeling a thing. My father, who was impervious to pain and had a very phlegmatic approach to injuries, took one look, fetched the iodine bottle, sploshed some on, replaced the loose finger end and bandaged it up. Amazingly two days later it had all knitted back together, although to this day I have a distinctive line around that finger end as a reminder of the first of many modelling cuts and abrasions.
One of my first memories of aeromodelling was when I was given a KeilKraft Ajax as a Christmas present. I must have been about eleven, and Father was to make it 'with my assistance' (come to think of it, I wonder who the present was really for). Boxing day, and time to start. Anyone remember Joy-Plane balsa cement, with the nozzle stopper that you cut off and then plugged with a pin? Father (normally a very safety conscious chap) cut it off, holding a Stanley knife in all four fingers, blade facing him, pulling the blade toward his thumb which was applying counterpressure on the other side of the nozzle. Click! - pause - blood - Father cursing and running to the sink spraying blood and balsa cement across the kitchen lino...... Building curtailed until the stitches came out.

Funnily enough, I still have that very plan; much yellowed and in front of me now.....
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Last edited by Colonel Blink; Jun 08, 2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:19 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Funnily enough, I still have that very plan; much yellowed and in front of me now.....
Colonel, very interesting and familiar (and current) for many of us I'm sure...
BUT, have a good look at that plan, I think it's trying to tell you something...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the "K" Hawk 0.2cc...
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:07 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Colonel, very interesting and familiar (and current) for many of us I'm sure...
BUT, have a good look at that plan, I think it's trying to tell you something...
Yes, I can hear it from over here, it's saying...."build me, build me, BUILD ME".......
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 03:33 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Yes, I can hear it from over here, it's saying...."build me, build me, BUILD ME".......
YEAH! Come on everyone, COLONEL! COLONEL! COLONEL!....etc.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Well, what I can say is that currently I am researching the viability of possibly beginning a KK Ajax.....

Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:43 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
618 Posts
Quote:
Well, what I can say is that currently I am researching the viability of possibly beginning a KK Ajax.....

That's what we like to hear....commitment!
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 08, 2012, 06:54 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,491 Posts
Colonel, I'll reprieve you from the firing squad as I have to admit to having a couple of foamies myself. They have their uses

My very first electric model was a Goldberg Electra, basically a Gentle Lady. Horrible, sluggish thing under power ( little brushed motor and a heavy pack of nicads) but a great glider.

Looking forward to your imminent Ajax build thread

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 08, 2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:26 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
Quote:

There you are Colonel, didn't hurt a bit! No firing squad here for having a foamie or RTF or two, as Ray says they have their uses. I've had a couple of shock fliers, a GWS Zero, a Donutz Aito biplane, an Alliance aerobat, a Mirage 2000, a Simprop Taube and a pair of Simply the Best E400 carbon and kevlar ARTFs (still got those, they are GREAT). And my indoor SE5A is made of foam, although that one was all my own work.

Hopefully your viability researches will result in a build log which we can all enjoy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Sounds like that's a yes then - I'll have a stab at an Ajax. Target completion date by 31st December 2012.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,427 Posts
OK Colonel, good for you, I'll write you into the list in post #1 before you get the chance to change your mind!

What's it going to be - F/F rubber, F/F electric or electric R/C?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post21839601
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:15 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,974 Posts
My time for hunting up a plan is being taken up by long hours at work as its A/C seson here and I have a ton of cars to service.I haven't built a low wing for a while,could any body point me to some thing low winged and sporty looking?I thought that veron had a low winged bird that looked kind of like an old pattern plane.Thanks for any help scottie.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:25 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,491 Posts
Quote:
some thing low winged and sporty looking
Well the Keil Kraft Fleetwing designed by Dave Platt certainly fits that description. Plans available from Colin Smith in two sizes - 54" & 72" Original kit was the smaller version. First produced in 1968.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 15, 2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,480 Posts
Or here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5291