HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:47 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,574 Posts
>I suppose I could do it as a rubber model as intended.

Now THERE's good thinking!
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2012, 09:59 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,548 Posts
Time to bump this thread to, hopefully, elicit some more support

We have a dozen expressions of interest and half a dozen build threads actually started. I would encourage those on the list who haven't to consider starting a build thread as it's a great incentive to get going and keep up a reasonable rate of progress.

For those still at the thinking stage there are lots of designs available that fit the criteria and plans are usually obtainable from someone for even the most obscure kits of this era.

Most clubs these days seem to be infested with ARTFs and foamies and fliers with little knowledge or interest in anything else so it's always good to share ones appreciation of these models and the building skills involved with like minded people, ie. real aeromodellers, even if they are "virtual"

So why not join in the fun.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 06, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:56 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Time to bump this thread to, hopefully, elicit some more support
Ray
Send in the Bombers Ray!

George, I'm surprised Ray hasn't mentioned it (unless I've missed a post), but your initial manufacturers list is missing at least Model Aerodrome (Club Conquest, etc.) and the English Jasco (Colin Sinclair's excellent designs from Southport).
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:49 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,624 Posts
I was aware that my initial list was unlikely to be comprehensive Brian, nor was it intended to be, which is why I appended the following sentence to it:

"PLUS...any other minor British Kit manufacturers who were advertising and producing kits BEFORE December 31st 1960. i.e. NOT such as Westwings and other current producers, if any."

Now I'm aware that this is the kind of catch-all get-out that politicians use, but in support of this I leafed through just one magazine I happened to have handy, the December 1945 "Aeromodeller", and came up with:

Aeromodels (Liverpool) - Bittern, Baby Gull (Gosling), Weaver
Premier Aeromodel Supplies - 20 Minute Glider, Northern Arrow
Astral
Skycraft (Leeds) - Ibis, Kirby Cadet
MSS - Lynx, Lynx Cub, Panda, Greyhound
Welbeck Model Aircraft products - Conquest glider
Super Scale Kits (Uppingham) - 50" Lysander
Bristol - Beau-gliders 1, 2 and 3
ATO (Belfast) (Should have remembered them as I still have an ATO 36 I built years ago - see below)

... so how many more I could add by ploughing through the next fifteen years of mags I shudder to think, especially given the rate at which minor kit firms came and went in the boom years of the late forties and early fifties. Life is too short!!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:57 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,548 Posts
Another I remember was Hobbies Ltd of Derham, Norfolk. They had three kits - a glider, a rubber job and a power design whose names I have forgotten. I built the rubber one which I seem to remember went quite well. This would have been late 50s early 60s.

Ray

PS. It was driving me mad trying to remember the names so I just had to look them up - this ad from the 1959 Aeromodeller Annual.
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:02 AM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Hi,

I just want to mention that I follow these "Britkit"-threads with greatest interest...

However as my available building time (unfortunately) is extremely limited at present, I did make myself a promise: Finish your ongoing projects before starting anything more...!

I've got 3 projects, each of them very interesting, making a "slow'n steady" progress:
  • The rc-assisted A1-glider.
  • A Vic Smeed "Courtesan" (3-ch rc + M.E.Heron)
  • A Prairie Bird (soon ready to fly)

I was very tempted to participate in the Britkit-buildoff with this
Veron Cardinal (my kit beeing produced by 'Model aircraft (Bournemouth) Ltd'), age unknown to me....but this time I persuaded myselt to resist...

So, back to 'spectator's platform', enjoying your great builds.....
Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 06, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:06 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,624 Posts
Ah yes Ray, Hobbies Ltd. They had a branch in Sheffield which was one of the 4 (yes, I did say FOUR) model shops to be found there in the fifties. Once you had found your way past the fretwork tea tray and poker work firescreen kits, the shop was quite well stocked and like you I built the Ascender rubber model which was a quite capable performer, but also the Champion power job, complete with it's furnished cabin and opening door. It was a pretty little model and a decent sport flyer with an Amco 0.87, would make a nice electric R/C conversion. A regular Saturday morning treat was to take a bus and tram into Sheffield and do the rounds of all four shops, not buying much but spending a happy couple of hours leaning on the counter and chewing the fat with other modellers - the shop owners must have loved us!

I lived a few miles outside Rotherham where there was a big toy shop with a very decent model department, then there was Peter Russell's (of C/L stunt fame) shop in Worksop, a bus ride away, as was the superb Cutriss emporium in Doncaster. Add to this the fact that several local cycle shops also sold kits and accessories and there was no shortage of places for me to spend my limited modelling budget.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:15 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,548 Posts
Quote:
I've got 3 projects, each of them very interesting, making a "slow'n steady" progress:
Only three Gluehand. I have way more unfinished models than that so don't let it prevent you starting the little Cardinal and entering the BritKit build off. Anyway, with a kit it's half done already and you have all the rest of the year to complete it

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 06, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:53 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Anyway, with a kit it's half done already and you have all the rest of the year to complete it
Ray, I just spent a couple of days cutting out Bill Dean printed sheets... That ain't what I call "half done already"! However, as George said, quite apart from ending up with a nice model, it brings back all the memories of the kitchen table between the evening meal and bedtime, more than 60 years ago...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:55 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluehand View Post
Hi,

I just want to mention that I follow these "Britkit"-threads with greatest interest...

However as my available building time (unfortunately) is extremely limited at present, I did make myself a promise: Finish your ongoing projects before starting anything more...!

• The rc-assisted A1-glider.
  • A Vic Smeed "Courtesan" (3-ch rc + M.E.Heron)
  • A Prairie Bird (soon ready to fly)

I was very tempted to participate in the Britkit-buildoff with this
Veron Cardinal (my kit beeing produced by 'Model aircraft (Bournemouth) Ltd'), age unknown to me....but this time I persuaded myselt to resist...

So, back to 'spectator's platform', enjoying your great builds.....
Hi Gluehand; I'm with Ray, get that Cardinal on the board! A Cardinal from a Replikit was the first model I built after moving to France, I had very little time and no facilities, but I still managed it in under two weeks and have never regretted it, it is a great little flyer and six years later is my "go to" model to try out new receivers, motors and batteries, currently it is on it's third receiver and fourth motor!
I hope we can tempt you to join in, being in a build off is a great incentive to get the model finished, I find. And if spectating is enjoyable, taking part is much more so! Thanks to the incentive of the 2011 main build off and the FROG build off, I have six great models to fly and I know full well, but for that extra urge that building them "in public" provided, half or more would still be unfinished!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Quote:
Only three Gluehand. I have way more unfinished models than that so don't let it prevent you starting the little Cardinal and entering the BritKit build off.
LOL...Yeah, Ray & Sundancer, I know, I know.....normally, 3 ongoing projects wouldn't have prevented me from starting a fourth one......though, wise from experience, I know this is a mind splitting excercise...

So, as I scent Retirement at the horizon, I thought a slight 'clearance' would be a healthy idea......thus enabling me to go on from there, a little more focused and "free"...
Sorry, I've got to be tough to myself on this agenda...

Vaguely thinking, when the 'Courtesan' is in the air, I may start fiddling with the Cardinal...or will it be a Deacon (of which I have the plan...) ??

I love those "Brit-kits"...although the Swedish kit market obviously was stuffed with 'domestic' designs, all those British models were present as well, and very popular....definitely beeing a serious part of my youth/childhood....
Last edited by Gluehand; Jun 07, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:20 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,548 Posts
Quote:
I just spent a couple of days cutting out Bill Dean printed sheets

Brian,

I remember it well - half a razor blade and cut fingers What I should have said was " with some kits it's half done already" and I think Gluehand's Cardinal at least has die cut sheets.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:49 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,539 Posts
Quote:
Brian,

I remember it well - half a razor blade and cut fingers What I should have said was " with some kits it's half done already" and I think Gluehand's Cardinal at least has die cut sheets.

Ray
My apologies to the others, who probably won't understand, but when I have difficulty cutting out all the tiny fiddly bits, I can hear Tommy: "The razor blade was British made..."
We were almost committed to red tail surfaces last week, but I just got my finger away from the wood in time!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:02 AM
Joined Sep 2008
2,869 Posts
Quote:
...and I think Gluehand's Cardinal at least has die cut sheets.
"Die-cut"...I don't know....in this case I figure "blunt assault" would be a better description.......pity, as the balsa is fairly good...
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:06 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
My apologies to the others, who probably won't understand, but when I have difficulty cutting out all the tiny fiddly bits, I can hear Tommy: "The razor blade was British made..."
We were almost committed to red tail surfaces last week, but I just got my finger away from the wood in time!
At least when the blade is sharp it doesn't hurt - well not straight away! I remember happily carving away at the cowling of a Skleada Auster C/L and suddenly wondering why it was turning red, having neatly carved most of the end off my left index finger without feeling a thing. My father, who was impervious to pain and had a very phlegmatic approach to injuries, took one look, fetched the iodine bottle, sploshed some on, replaced the loose finger end and bandaged it up. Amazingly two days later it had all knitted back together, although to this day I have a distinctive line around that finger end as a reminder of the first of many modelling cuts and abrasions.
RCG Plus Member