SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
If you can fly a J60 or Simplex Brian, surely you can fly a Tomboy or a Cardinal etc. What you need are some lightweight electric models!!!!
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2012, 08:34 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,595 Posts
Quote:
if you manage to find a GB3 plan, please let me know
Brian,

The GB3 plan is available as a download from SAM 1066 which I believe you then take to a print shop to be printed out full size. It's order reference number is 4598 and it is number 2547 in the David Baker plans collection list.

http://www.sam1066.org/

Also available from here.

http://www.benbucklevintage.com/inde...roducts_id=191

Or you could fork out 18/6 for the kit

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; May 30, 2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:53 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,580 Posts
>the knee is having just too negative effect on my quality of life (and my flying!) so something has to be done

George .. wife had a knee replacement several years ago. Was out and about very quickly and all well since. Other acquaintances have had similar experiences.

Main problem for the now necessary procedure was probably lack of exercise once you left F/F to wander to the dark side, exacerbated by moving to a place where you are condemned to such forever. At 77 my knees are fine and I've never ever twiddled a control stick so that surely confirms the theory ?
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old May 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
>the knee is having just too negative effect on my quality of life (and my flying!) so something has to be done

George .. wife had a knee replacement several years ago. Was out and about very quickly and all well since. Other acquaintances have had similar experiences.

Main problem for the now necessary procedure was probably lack of exercise once you left F/F to wander to the dark side, exacerbated by moving to a place where you are condemned to such forever. At 77 my knees are fine and I've never ever twiddled a control stick so that surely confirms the theory ?
No Jim, just means you either have better knees than me or haven't laid as many wooden floors as I have, especially in the last six years. And believe me, I spent 15 years very active thermal soaring, all of it before winches were allowed, and if you have ever completed a dozen or so tows of BIG thermal soarers on 150 metre lines, you will definitely know that lack of exercise isn't a factor!

Thanks for the positive news of your wife's outcome, it's encouraging to hear.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2012, 07:11 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,676 Posts
Southerner?

In a post on one of the Keil Kraft kit builds, someone mentioned that it was "second prettiest to the Southerner." I have a Southerner kit cut by Manzano Laserworks, but it is the 60" Southerner that Vintage 1 (Leo Smith) redesigned for electric power. Does it qualify?

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 31, 2012, 01:36 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_J_Glor View Post
In a post on one of the Keil Kraft kit builds, someone mentioned that it was "second prettiest to the Southerner." I have a Southerner kit cut by Manzano Laserworks, but it is the 60" Southerner that Vintage 1 (Leo Smith) redesigned for electric power. Does it qualify?

Pete G.
I'm quite happy to accept this Pete, most of the models are not being built from original kits but from plans and some are scaled up or down and, of course, modified to permit use of electric power, so I don't have any problems with a laser cut kit of a Southerner modified to accept electrics - it'll still be a Southerner, the more the merrier for me.

Are you going to enter it?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I'm quite happy to accept this Pete, most of the models are not being built from original kits but from plans and some are scaled up or down and, of course, modified to permit use of electric power, so I don't have any problems with a laser cut kit of a Southerner modified to accept electrics - it'll still be a Southerner, the more the merrier for me.

Are you going to enter it?
Given the deadline, most likely, but we have some family business to take car of before I can commit. Nothing like dividing up the household though. Just some travel involving my mother's 100th birthday and some illness in my wife's family.

Hope I have my mother's genes -- that should give me time to build quite a few more models -- if I could just find a way to get away from this desk at work and to my workbench -- which is covered with other projects right now.

When I start the Southerner, I will formally announce. I believe that when I got the kit, I ordered or bought most everything needed to build it out, including power system, wheels, balsa strip, Solarfilm, etc., so it should move along once started.

Got my flying skills back up to date on a small RTF, so this should be a great follow-up -- and much easier to see at altitude!

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old May 31, 2012, 03:00 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
That's fine Pete, just post when you start it and I will add you to the list. Should be OK for time as we are running it for a full eight months ending 31/12/2012.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:14 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Can anyone tell me whether the KK Stratobaby was actually kitted? Thanks in advance Gary
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:37 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
Not sure off the top of my head, I'll have to do some research. But by then I bet Ray will have beaten me to it, he knows EVERYTHING!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 07:44 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,595 Posts
Well as far as I know it wasn't actually kitted but was a plan feature in the first (1946/7) Keil Kraft handbook - but I could be wrong ( happens quite frequently)

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:28 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,614 Posts
I agree with Ray, except about his frequently being wrong!

Brian
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 09:36 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,768 Posts
Well Gary, having had a quick plough through my 46/47/48 Aeromodellers and a look at the earliest KK Handbook I have (1950), I can't find any mention of it ever having been kitted, so I have to agree with the two wise men above and regretfully say "No" - unless someone else knows better. I suspect that maybe it was the intention to kit it, but events, in the form of easier to kit and more practical models such as the Playboy, Eaglet and Senator, overtook it. Shame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 01, 2012, 08:14 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Mmm, that is a shame. I've always fancied it but had never seen an advert for one. I'll probably build one anyway, just not for this log. I suppose I could do it as a rubber model as intended. Thanks anyway gentlemen, it's great to have such knowledgeable people at your fingertips! Gary
kkphantom is online now Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 02, 2012, 01:56 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkphantom View Post
I suppose I could do it as a rubber model as intended.
Aaaahhhh, I feel better already!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member