SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 08, 2012, 09:24 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Thank you folks - the Ballerina is sitting atop the pile with a 'slightly altered' Phantom

Can see the snag with the Phantom - by the time I'm done with it, it won't just fly around in circles and change height some I know me, evil will persist!

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2012, 04:09 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigisbest View Post
Im in with a KK ladybird
Glad to have the Minehead Mafia aboard! I've added you to post #1, I'll add the build log link when you start it. Is it going to be original size - presume it is going to be electric R/C?
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 04:12 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post
Thank you folks - the Ballerina is sitting atop the pile with a 'slightly altered' Phantom

Can see the snag with the Phantom - by the time I'm done with it, it won't just fly around in circles and change height some I know me, evil will persist!

D
C'mon Dereck, time to stop thinking and start building. There is plenty of time to do BOTH!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 04:54 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,642 Posts
One more for the list. As per post #21, my entry will be a Veron Phoenix. Just got the kit plans this morning and looks very promising with just a little nip and tuck needed here and there. Electric powered with rudder/elevator should give me the vintage hottish liner I am after.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; May 09, 2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old May 09, 2012, 05:30 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Sorry Ray, thought I had already added you to the list, I have now. I like the concept of a near vintage "tepid-liner"! Looking forward to seeing it take shape.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 10:18 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
C'mon Dereck, time to stop thinking and start building. There is plenty of time to do BOTH!
Snag is, following a slight brown out issue last week, am building pretty furiously - well, by present standards anyway...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Brian, your Slicker build added to the entry list, should be interesting. Funnily enough I never had a 42" Slicker but did have a Slicker Mite and a Slicker 50. The latter was very nice with a Frog 150R, but the Mite was - for me at least - totally untrimmable with a Merlin. No matter what I did to it it either spent it's time hurtling round in horizontal circles or screaming round a series of loops! Eventually of course the ground rose up and smote it, and I wasn't sorry!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 03:52 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Brian, your Slicker build added to the entry list, should be interesting. Funnily enough I never had a 42" Slicker but did have a Slicker Mite and a Slicker 50. The latter was very nice with a Frog 150R, but the Mite was - for me at least - totally untrimmable with a Merlin. No matter what I did to it it either spent it's time hurtling round in horizontal circles or screaming round a series of loops! Eventually of course the ground rose up and smote it, and I wasn't sorry!
Thanks for the encouragement!!!
Actually, I don't envisage trimming problems, we have plenty of long grass fairly close by, ideal for just nipping out in late evening, when you notice there's no wind. Also, I won't be aiming for top performance... we'll discuss "which engine to use" in the thread, but you can see that your Slicker 50 was "moderately" powered, and very successful, whereas the Slicker Mite must have been overpowered, quite apart from any other problem...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 05:46 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Yes, you are undoubtedly right about the moderate power Brian. If I had built the Mite a few years later when I had mastered the trimming techniques required for high - sometimes VERY high - powered contest models I have no doubt that with wing warps, tail tilt, CG and thrustline adjustments I could have tamed it, but at the time I was just making the transition from benign sport models like the Bandit and Outlaw and, of course, the trimming instructions for the Slicker mentioned nothing of these techniques which later became de rigeur. With regard to the 42" model, my guess would be that some fairly careful trimming will be required with anything more than a decent 1.5cc diesel/.09 glow - but knowing you, you will probably have a Comp Special tucked away which will be just about right and supply useful nose weight as well!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,601 Posts
>With regard to the 42" model, my guess would be that some fairly careful trimming will be required with anything more than a decent 1.5cc diesel/.09 glow - but knowing you, you will probably have a Comp Special tucked away which will be just about right and supply useful nose weight as well!

Well ... being as the 42 was designed for a Mills 1.3 (Mk1 originally) any decent 1.5/.09 would overpower it and a Comp Soec. make it a lawn dart.

I never thought it a good design - heavily loaded and short coupled; its sucess was that it was almost the only pylon model readily available and was buiilt in huge numbers, to so top the contest results of the time. One tended to notice those thermalling away and not the others spiralling downward
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old May 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Quite right Jim, the 42" was for a Mills 1.3, I was getting my ancient engines mixed up there. I have to agree too that the Slicker design wasn't a particularly good one, as I said my 50 was OK with a Frog 150R, flying as a sort of highish performance sport model, but with anything more I am sure the trimming issues would have raised their head again. Due to the short coupling and relatively small tailplane area I think they had to be flown with the CG pretty well forward, and as soon as more power was added they became difficult to control.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,682 Posts
Wow!
It will certainly add to my sense of achievement if I can prove you two eminent gentlemen wrong. I'll start the log within the next 3 or 4 days.
I think the main point is that the Slicker 42 was promoted by Eddie Keil, for the masses, before anyone knew how to trim such a model. Using moderate power and the appropriate warps/trim, I don't envisage any problem in achieving a reasonable climb, say 20 to 30, in a fairly wide right turn, which is all I want... This could be achieved with an ED Bee, although I'm also considering a Mills (authentic, but a bit heavy) and, when I've had a couple of glasses (i.e. most of the time!), I can hear this voice that keeps whispering "go on, use an Elfin 1.49". Anyway, we shall be able to continue this debate during the time it takes me to build the flying surfaces...
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
I think all of the Slicker series were overpowered, The Bee would be perfect for a '42'. My Slicker mite would be a handful with the recommended .75, in fact it can even be a bit squirrely with the Allbon dart I used. The model is retired now but wouldn't take much to get back in the air.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old May 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
Umkomaas, South Africa
Joined Mar 2010
221 Posts
Bee Bug Build

Ok, I am going to build the Veron Bee Bug, just like Owl, for R.C.
I am going to keep it original size and try not to alter any of the dimensions, I will have to make it an aileron model and will make the elevator a lot smaller as I do want it to be semi-controlable

I am going to make it electric and three channel, ailerons, elevator and throttle.

This is going to be a more "can I make it fly" project than a build project and I think I am going to have a blast trying.

While I am at it I might even build a control line version again for old time sakes as I flew one years ago with a TeeDee .049 and it was a real fun model to play with and anyway I have always liked the look of it too!

So as soon as my workshop is up and running and my new addition to my family is born I will start the build log!

Let the fun begin!
SAslinky is offline Find More Posts by SAslinky
Old May 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,878 Posts
Great Lionel, I have added you to the entry list. If you do build a C/L one as well, enter that too, the more the merrier! It will be very interesting having two R/C electric Bee Bugs, between you and Owl I am sure we can rely on the Sarf African contingent to sort out any problems!
RCG Plus Member