HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:21 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
Hopefully may have managed to scare up another entry. We had a visit from "Monza Red" who is on a motor cycle progress around France. Although he is mostly into big I.C. models I pressed the Tx for my electric Cardinal into his hand and he seemed to enjoy the experience, even finding some nice lift with it. He muttered something about "....must build one" after landing, so I reminded him of the build off and pointed out it would only require a couple of weeks of effort. So once he is back home we all need to work on him like we did successfully with Colonel Blink - and look how he is enjoying his build, I see in his latest post there is even a mention of "....the next one!"
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:33 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
in his latest post there is even a mention of "....the next one!"
Yes sir, I saw that too. I was thinking when I read it "Poor guy, he's hooked".
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:00 PM
Since 1952
Harry D's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Well, you guys have finally got to me.

I've ordered the plans for the KeilKraft "Dandy" from Derick Scott, and will be making that my Build-off entry.

The Dandy was (supposedly) the only kit ever offered for the Allbon Bambi diesel. Apparently it didn't take the world by storm, and appeared in only two Aeromodeller back-page ads (April and May 1955). But I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was designed by Dave Platt, and that's all I need to know as far as its flying characteristics are concerned.

I well remember seeing those Aeromodeller ads and wanting a Dandy in the worst possible way. But as a young boy I couldn't even afford the 8s9d price of the kit, never mind the Bambi it needed. I promised myself at the time that I would build one some day, and now seems like a good opportunity.

I'll be keeping it the original size (21" span) but of course it will be RC and electric. I'll start a build log when the plans arrive and I get going on it.

Should be fun.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:55 PM
RFJ
Registered User
RFJ's Avatar
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,600 Posts
Quote:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was designed by Dave Platt
Harry, according to "Over the Counter" in the May 1955 issue of Model Aircraft "both kits, Anzac and Dandy, were designed by A.E. Hatfull"

No matter, it's still an attractive little model and welcome to the BritKit build off.

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 02, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:39 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Well, you guys have finally got to me.

I've ordered the plans for the KeilKraft "Dandy" from Derick Scott, and will be making that my Build-off entry.

The Dandy was (supposedly) the only kit ever offered for the Allbon Bambi diesel. Apparently it didn't take the world by storm, and appeared in only two Aeromodeller back-page ads (April and May 1955). But I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was designed by Dave Platt, and that's all I need to know as far as its flying characteristics are concerned.

I well remember seeing those Aeromodeller ads and wanting a Dandy in the worst possible way. But as a young boy I couldn't even afford the 8s9d price of the kit, never mind the Bambi it needed. I promised myself at the time that I would build one some day, and now seems like a good opportunity.

I'll be keeping it the original size (21" span) but of course it will be RC and electric. I'll start a build log when the plans arrive and I get going on it.

Should be fun.
Welcome aboard Harry, that's great, everyone seems to be having fun so I'm glad you will be joining us. The Dandy is a really cute little thing and I am looking forward to following your build log. I think Ray is probably right in that it was an Albert E Hatfull design, although Dave Platt did design a model which was published in Model Aircraft called "Weepy" for the Cox Peewee which, apart from being bigger and having rounded wing tips was very like the Dandy to look at (and is a model which I have long wanted to build - maybe next year we can have an Aeromodeller/Model Aircraft plan designs build off to give me the necessary nudge?). Anyway, you will certainly be OK as the two Albert E designs I have recently built as R/C electrics, the Bantam and the Sportster, have both proved to be great models.

I have added your build to the list in post #1 and will update it with the build log link once that is started.

Enjoy!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 02, 2012, 12:59 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
I see in his latest post there is even a mention of "....the next one!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cd_webb View Post
Yes sir, I saw that too. I was thinking when I read it "Poor guy, he's hooked".
I noticed that as well - my account must have been hacked......
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:29 AM
RFJ
Registered User
RFJ's Avatar
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Dave Platt did design a model which was published in Model Aircraft called "Weepy"
Published January 1959. Most PAA type models seem to be attractive designs - think KK Halo - and Weepy is no exception.

Quote:
we can have an Aeromodeller/Model Aircraft plan designs build off
Great idea but it would need to last about five years to cover all the models I would love to build from the vast range available

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jul 02, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:35 AM
Since 1952
Harry D's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,296 Posts
Thanks for the correction, guys. Albert knew what he was doing too, of course, so that's fine.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:38 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Time for me to get going,I have today off and should get the fleetwing thread going.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 06:53 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Indeed you should............!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 08:54 AM
Registered User
kkphantom's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Britkit Tipsy Nipper

....
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Last edited by kkphantom; Jul 06, 2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Opened in a new thread
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
Well, at least it's on the way Gary, it'll be a really cute little thing. How about re-posting the above as the first post of a separate build thread? I will link it to post 1 of this then.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
sparks59's Avatar
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
I really don't know how, but I will have to find the time somehow as I'm getting balsa withdrawl symptoms watching all of you guys beavering away reducing the woodpile to dust and glue spots!

So, I have finally decided to extract digit and get cracking and, as I want something small, and not too time consuming to finish, I made the decision to build the little Veron Coupe.

I never did built from a Veron kit in my youth and I just love the cute lines of the Coupe. So, I printed off a copy of the plan that I had downloaded from Steve's WMD Outerzone site (thanks for his efforts keeping that one up and running).

I will start a thread when I get some balsa cut. Plan is to use up a D1811 and maybe engine and rudder control, though I may add pitch control..yet to decide.

sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Sundancer's Avatar
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,773 Posts
Glad you have cracked Sparks, I'll be looking out for the build thread. You'll get it done (Quote: "If you want a job doing give it to a busy man") and doing some balsa butchery will be good relaxation.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:33 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Colonel Blink's Avatar
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks59 View Post
So, I have finally decided to extract digit and get cracking and, as I want something small, and not too time consuming to finish, I made the decision to build the little Veron Coupe.
Woohoo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
...doing some balsa butchery will be good relaxation.
I can vouch for that!!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contest Build off for FROG designs October 1st 2011 to April 30th 2012 Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 237 Apr 23, 2013 03:29 PM
Build Log Frog Build Off Oct 2011-April 2012 - MAMBA Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 104 Nov 26, 2012 07:57 AM
Discussion Frog Build Off Oct 2011-April 2012 - Vanda Mk. 2 vega Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 13 Apr 29, 2012 09:15 AM
Build Log Frog Build off Oct 2011 - April 2012 - WITCH II Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 45 Mar 19, 2012 02:29 AM
Build Log FROG build-off Oct 2011 - April 2012; ZEPHYR Sundancer Vintage & Old-Timer Designs 75 Mar 09, 2012 12:49 PM