SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:17 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Now I just need staples to do the math right so I don't end up with a 3 meter fleetwing,I don't have enough wood!
Judging by their previous performance that might be asking a lot
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:39 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
That 'Velox' in the above Veron ad triggered a memory - starting with it being another kit I could never have afforded. A very advanced kit, with some moulded wood parts, as I recall - unless fuzzy old memories are confusing it with something else of the era...

Anyone know if the plan's around anywhere? Layout would be good for 'electrocution'.

Viscount would be a good solid Sunday flier, but sometimes getting a battery in around a shoulder wing can be fun.

Regards
Dereck
Who still knows where his 'Junior 60' plan is...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:35 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know if the plan's around anywhere
From Colin Smith for 4.50 ( $7)

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 21, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:56 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
All most time to start the fleetwing,just need to clean the shop and re stock the fridge.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:28 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Looking forward to that Rab - I always enjoy your build logs.

Dereck - so.....have you settled on that 4/5th J60 then?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:43 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I,m looking forward to this one,can,t wait to try the flaps and see if it will short field takeoff and land.Still working through the mods to the frameing in my head,I all ready know I'll use a built up rear deck and open framework for the rear of the fuse.My curse is that I can see the wire frame outlines in my head and even rotate them to see any angle view of them.The down side is the only way I can get the pictures out of my mind and move on is to build the thing!
Last edited by rabidrue1; Jun 22, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,682 Posts
Rabidrue1,

I also like the Fleetwing design so good luck with your version. For inspiration here's a shot of Dave Platt with his enlarged 72" version.

If you would like a copy of a couple of magazine reviews of the original KK kit from 1968 just PM me your e-mail. I know I always enjoy reading these.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 26, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:50 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
cd_webb has started the build log for his Veron Deacon, you will find it at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677081
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Just flown the Sportster 1.8x - delighted with it. That's three models finished and flown, several more build logs well underway. How about a few of those who have been "hovering" joining in? And those who have declared a model but not yet started a build log getting cracking!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:06 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,682 Posts
Congrats on a successful (early morning) first flight - pics to follow? Such a trim little model just had to fly well.

Now, the next one is ..........??

Quote:
those who have declared a model but not yet started a build log getting cracking
Will be making a start on the Mercury Crusader build log next week.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 23, 2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Congrats on a successful (early morning) first flight - pics to follow? Such a trim little model just had to fly well.

Will be making a start on the Mercury Crusader build log next week.

Ray
Thanks Ray - hope to get some pictures this evening, Ali is feeling a bit unwell at the moment but will hopefully have bucked up by then and (again hopefully) the frisky breeze which has sprung up will have dropped - at 5.25 ounces I doubt it will like much wind.

My urgings were not aimed at you, of all people, but I am looking forward to the Crusader, should be a beauty.

The next one for me? Still thinking, I've got a pile of plans out and I keep changing my mind. Possibly one of the three KK Super Scale models, for electric RC of course. Or perhaps a MS Wasp - I do like biplanes. But I really would like to do another KK Bandit, I have such fond memories of them. Then again, the Veron Stentorian is nice. Another rubber conversion appeals - KK Contestor or the Veron Sentinel. Oh bugger!!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I have the tree sap of both cars and the graduation of my niece out of the way,so perhaps I can get started.RFJ as soon as I get a new email set up I'll get hold of you as I would love to read those.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 08:56 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Flying shots of the Sportster 1.8x posted in the build log.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post

Ray
Well Ray, after a few days of agonising, it's decided. The KK Super Scale Piper Super Cruiser is one I really will build one day, but not this time.

I am very hooked on the idea of a 1.5x (66 inch) version of Bert Judge's lovely streamlined, taper wing Frog "Janus", which is going to be a major project, a LOT of drawing and building to do it justice and just at present I don't want to start TOO big a project, it strikes me it will be the ideal thing to get stuck into after the knee operation in October during the physio/recovery period.

Solution; another rubber model scale-up, and another biplane at that, and another nostalgia trip as I built the original back in the day. I have been looking for a while for the plans for the Mercury "Starflight Series" Mars cabin biplane, and discover that Derick Scott has them, so it will be a double size (36") Mercury Mars, for electric R/C of course. Just waiting for the plans now. The original Starflight series of five models was analogeous to the Frog Senior series, but used more "traditional" stick construction, so I am looking forward to a good build!
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:51 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,682 Posts
Quote:
The original Starflight series of five models was analogeous to the Frog Senior series
This is the series George is referring to. Mars is good choice - a cabin biplane so no awkward cabane struts

Started a build log for the Crusader so you may want to add a link to the entry list.

Good luck with the Mars and, as always, looking forward to the build.

Ray
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 26, 2012 at 08:03 AM.