SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:51 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
some thing low winged and sporty looking?I thought that veron had a low winged bird that looked kind of like an old pattern plane.
Umm, tricky Rab. Apart from the Fleetwing low wing sporty looking types are a bit thin on the ground in Britkit land. There is the Mercury Galahad, full of character but I wouldn't call it sporty looking. I don't recall anything in the Veron range that matches your description. The only other alternatives I can think of are either C/L conversions/scale-ups or scale-ups of the small rubber models in the Frog Senior and Junior ranges. Mercury also had a range of small rubber jobs which I know included at least one low winger, but plans of these seem to have vanished in the mists of time, the only two I can remember in detail are the Perseus which was a shoulder wing and the Mars, a biplane (BTW if anyone SHOULD just have a plan of this one I would be delighted to see it!)

Anyone else have any ideas??
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:01 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Anyone else have any ideas??
I have just been away a-Googling, because the fleetwing wasnt actually the model that I called to mind when I read RFJ's post. Turns out I was actually thinking of the Intruder which I remember from several KeilKraft Handbooks of the 70s....
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Thank you RFJ and Col.Blink the fleetwing looks like a winner,is there anything in the rules that stops me from makeing a taildragger out of it?Parts just got here more later.THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:51 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Quote:
is there anything in the rules that stops me from makeing a taildragger
I guess not but to me the two features of a model that seem to set it's character more than anything are the U/C and the fin/rudder shape. I would be reluctant to change either on any design but...it's your model so you must make it how you like it :

Ray
RFJ is online now Find More Posts by RFJ
Last edited by RFJ; Jun 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 09:30 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,984 Posts
Ah yes Colonel Blink, I'd forgotten about the Intruder.

Rab; no problem for me if you want to make it a taildragger. The Fleetwing was designed by the legendary Dave Platt, still with us and building models in the U.S. The plan/parts are on the Outerzone. Looking forward to seeing another Rabidrue classic.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:53 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I would keep the nose wheel but the school field I fly from has lots of diviots from soccer cleats and nose wheels take a beating unless they are 3" or larger.Then again I could scale it to a size where 3 1/2" wheels would look right.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:12 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,984 Posts
Personally Rab I would keep the same size and change to a taildragger, it's such a handy, compact model, but still with plenty of space inside for all the gear, and I think a conventional undercarriage would look good with the open cockpit design. But whichever you decide I'll be following developments with interest. Is this going to mean a few more "lock-ins"?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:17 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Yup!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:39 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Around the same time that the Fleetwing kit was introduced Dave published his Fiesta design. Essentially a tapered wing Fleetwing with a taildragger undercarriage this may give you an idea of how your version might look.

Happy building

Ray
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:44 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looks like it will be a hybred with the U/C from one on the other.I think I may size it at a 6' span to match a motor I have on the shelf.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
I was just looking at a Veron advert from 1960 and saw a f/f model called a 'Nimrod'. Has anybody ever seen a plan for this? I'd never even heard of it before, it looks for all the world like a modern P30 rubber model.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,984 Posts
As you can see Gary, the Nimrod was one of the "Kwik-Fix" series of designs which Phil Smith developed in the early sixties featuring moulded, routed or profiles balsa components and innovative "pre-fabricated" structural ideas. This meant that the kits were more expensive than the equivalent "conventional" kits, a point made by RFJ when he was discussing his Phoenix which, as you can see, was also part of this design series. Besides the Phoenix, Colt control-line trainer and Velox pusher sport power model shown in the attached ad the series also included a 1/2A team racer, the Pinto, 1/2A high thrust power model, the Skyrod and the Viscount shoulder wing radio model.

Although not specifically advertised as "Kwik-Fix" kits, the Robot, Cessna Skylane and Tipsy Nipper introduced in the early sixties also set high standards of "pre-fabrication" and could probably be considered part of the same design series
Last edited by Sundancer; Jun 16, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:49 PM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,673 Posts
Quote:
and the Viscount shoulder wing radio model.
..............which would make a great electric sports model

Ray
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
..............which would make a great electric sports model

Ray
It sure would! I might have to get in touch with Colin Smith about the Viscount plan. There was one on ebay a while back, I don't know whether it sold but they wanted a king's ransom for it.

Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 19, 2012, 08:33 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I've done a bit of work on figureing out the size of the fleetwing to fit the motor on hand. span 65" area about 770sq" lenth 50" from spinner tip to end of rudder stab span is around 23.5".Looks like I'll keep the nose wheel as at this size 3" wheels will look right.I plan to have ailerons and flaps by getting rid of the strip ailerons and building the surfaces about 2.5" wide and split them half span each wing.Thanks WMD for the PDF'S a 500% enlargement from the 8.5x11" prints I down loaded will be the perfect size.Now I just need staples to do the math right so I don't end up with a 3 meter fleetwing,I don't have enough wood!