HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Jul 2008
775 Posts
Discussion
New c05m protoype brushless motor, very very very nice!

I had been waiting months for this guy to finally get these motors in, the wait was well worth it. I have a stock c05 motor with a 1mm shaft in my minicp with genius maingear(for lower headspeed and longer flight times). I was running my mini for the longest time with a 7t pinion and enjoyed long 6 minute flights. I crashed and lost the 7tooth pinion and installed a 9t off a old genius motor. My mini hit the ceiling, literally! I didnt expect that much power, but flight times went down considerably. I would get 4 1/2 min in the house and 3 1/2 outside.

I found the c05 prototype motor a few months ago but he only had 8 made. Of course they were sold in no time, so I waited. Well, the new motor is great! it weighs 4.54grams, and has a black top and bottom. The channels where the screws are located are thinner than the stock c05. You can tell this motor is constructed different. My stock c05 had a brass washer on the shaft inside the bell/can. The new motor does not need a washer at all! Also, the new motor is supposed to have stronger magnets, It might be hearsay though. I do know the old c05 has no glue/epoxy showing holding the magnets in, but the new motor has gobs of glue/epoxy. I do not know if that is good or bad. Also, this motor has a 1.5mm shaft, no tiny 1mm shaft to bend/break.

The old stock c05 is wired with dual strands of 34awg wire wrapped 8 turns WYE. Old and new both have a 9tooth stator with 6 magnets.
The new motor is wire 28awg wire 6 turns WYE , The power is substantial!

I had two options to run the new motor in my minicp since I didnt have a 1.5mm pinion(it has a 1.5mm shaft). My old c05 motor in my minicp has a 1mm shaft and a choice between a 8tooth pinion or a 9tooth. I could use the bell/can with 1mm shaft and stick it onto the new motor or I could file down the 1.5mm shaft to a 1mm shaft. This is done by running the motor half throttle and holding a file up to it. I decided to use the old bell with 1mm shaft and went with a 8tooth pinion.

I happened to receive my Turnigy Nano-tech 300mah 35C lipos(for the solo-pro) from hobbyking on the same day as the new motor!. these batteries are only 1.72$ and well worth it.
I charged up one and installed it into the mini. Immediately I am greeted by this growling sound. This motor not only performs mean, but sounds that way too. Headspeed using an 8t pinion with genius maingear is too high for the house. I compare it to running the stock motor on a 9t pinion except there is no bog whatsoever.
Very nice!

So, I violently flew the heli around my small living room after switching the timer on my Devo7. I was doing fast forward flight, backwards, figure 8's, random pitch pumps etc, no 3d though. I managed to run the timer down to 5min 28sec. This is with the very first charge on those nano's!
Unfortunately I havent been able to run the heli outside, the weather has been too poor. I decided to order the correct 1.5mm pinion from homefly.com in a 7tooth,mod 0.5mm . I know the 7 tooth will give me more runtime and bring the headspeed down to a more mundane level. It is too high for me but I dont fly 3d. I just managed my first flips a week 1/2 ago and a 5sec inverted hover.

You do not need a 35C battery to take advantage of this motor's power. I have zippy bare cells from hobbyking which are 350mah 20C and the flights seem no different then the 35C. That surprised me, I also have rcecho/ebay cells which are 350mah 20C and they flew the same too.

I definitely recommend this motor! Its about time a new motor hit the market. Its cheap too at $20.95 and thats with shipping! It only took 2 days to get to me too. Also, I think I need to mention that I am not affiliated with http://mattbockman.com/?p=163 I just like the motor he is selling!
ALERT do not order it with a pinion installed!

You have the option to order with a pinion or without, go without if you want to use the motor on a genius or minicp, The optional pinioned motor is for a Blade MCPX and will NOT fit the genius or mini. The pinions needed to fit the genius or minicp are .5mod, the mcpx is a .3mod which is smaller. Go here http://www.homefly.com/products.asp?id=36 for .5mod pinions.

I recommend buying both a 8t and 7t and decide which you like.
mescalinedream is offline Find More Posts by mescalinedream
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2012, 12:09 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Glad he got the new stock. Was waiting for them.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF