HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2012, 05:41 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
Alert
Ducted Hexa System

I present to you, the Shielded Hexa System.

Full carbon frame with sexy color , 6 shielded propellors, semi-waterproof, enough room for 4 5A 4s lipo's. maximum prop size is 12".
Props are fully protected, can bump into wall, tree, person, without breaking props or hurting people. At the moment controlled by DJI Wookong-M but different flightcontrollers are possible.

My question for you, what motor/prop combo would be best for edurance? Max prop size 12", 30A esc's. Weight 3,5kg without lipo's.
airviewlive is offline Find More Posts by airviewlive
Last edited by airviewlive; May 02, 2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Not ducted, but shielded! Duh!
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 05:42 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,072 Posts
Is this Killy's new ducted Hexa?
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old May 02, 2012, 05:50 AM
RC Wannabe!
vercelli, ITALY
Joined Dec 2009
529 Posts
soooo sweeeet! wonderful looking! i wonder what's the added weight to a 'naked' structure'?

plus, actually i don't think it's techically 'ducted', since it's just a great prop protection, but is still great!
areis81 is offline Find More Posts by areis81
Old May 02, 2012, 06:14 AM
Spain
Joined Jan 2010
457 Posts
sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by airviewlive View Post
I present to you, the Ducted Hexa System.

Full carbon frame with sexy color , 6 ducted propellors, semi-waterproof, enough room for 4 5A 4s lipo's. maximum prop size is 12".
Props are fully protected, can bump into wall, tree, person, without breaking props or hurting people. At the moment controlled by DJI Wookong-M but different flightcontrollers are possible.

My question for you, what motor/prop combo would be best for edurance? Max prop size 12", 30A esc's. Weight 3,5kg without lipo's.
As sexy as killys ones...almost...maybe the colour...:-)
just....sure can bump into people with more than 4 kgs without hurting? Which material is the shield done?
Saludos and really cool,
Jose
Doblao is offline Find More Posts by Doblao
Old May 02, 2012, 06:21 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,988 Posts
Totally awesome
Sam
samwei1950 is online now Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old May 02, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doblao View Post
As sexy as killys ones...almost...maybe the colour...:-)
just....sure can bump into people with more than 4 kgs without hurting? Which material is the shield done?
Saludos and really cool,
Jose
The total frame is carbon fiber. It looks like a killy frame, and it actually is. We have been working intensively together making this prototype. However, it is made under contract so not for sale (yet).

My estimate is that the frame adds about 1 kg extra to the copter, however it is really really rigid and nearly vibration free.

Now only looking for a better motor/prop combo for lifting this pink puppy.
Old May 02, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airviewlive View Post

Here is a great site to help you answer your own question -- http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc

It should give you a general idea of what combo will be the most efficient. What is the total weight with LiPo's?
germaj is offline Find More Posts by germaj
Old May 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
I use 500g 4s 5A lipo's. planning on using 2 or 3 at a time, depending on the flight time....
Old May 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,451 Posts
Nice looking but those motor mounts are hideous. Any plans for a better mount design.
milo12 is online now Find More Posts by milo12
Old May 02, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
there will be carbon fiber plates covering it, thus protecting the esc's from rain... Dont want to disturb the airflow too much, thats why we mounted the motors upside-down.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:08 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,420 Posts
As a prop/motor setup you will need something like a 100gr+ Motor with arround 800 KV and e.g. 12x4,5 CF props (for a little bit of efficiency)

Now you have 3,5 kg + Battery it will be around 5kg, so about 800gr per motor, so 1600gr max thrust per motor, not easy and efficient possible with 12" max.

My suggestion would be:
https://www.mikrocontroller.com/inde...5374fe40ec1d4a
with props:
https://www.mikrocontroller.com/inde...5374fe40ec1d4a

this is just illustrate what I suggest, but of course other motor/prop combinations but with similar tech. data are possible.

best regards

Ferdinand

P.s: Did it lift off with the 11"?
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old May 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yep it flies fine with the 11" props. Nice sound too!
The biggest problem is the weight, as i cant slim down on the pounds. so i need the best combo prop and motor. For efficiency, is it better to use light motors(at 70% throttle) or strong ones (at 40%)?
Old May 02, 2012, 12:25 PM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,420 Posts
For efficiency it is better to use 12" props. Of course in would be nice to take light-weight-motors, since this would also reduce weight, but if you want a solid performance (and be able to climb fast for several minutes on a hot day in summer) you have to use motors of 100-150gr (to get rid of the heat).

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old May 02, 2012, 12:38 PM
froots loops
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Apr 2012
839 Posts
Motor mount color should be black
color of the vehicul look wierd
nice desing but work the color
Will be better if you do like army camo paint
I think it will sell better
saskya is offline Find More Posts by saskya
Old May 02, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined May 2012
10 Posts
The pink color is for the customer. the 'normal color' is carbon-pattern, just like Killy's frames. They look awesome!