Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 02, 2012, 12:48 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
Discussion
Small ducted fan for NOTAR micro heli

You think it's possible to make a micro EDF work as NOTAR for my V911 micro heli? The existing tail rotor weighs about 2 grams. The ducted fan system would probably have to weigh at most 4 grams, and be around 20mm. 30mm would be too big. Thanks.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 03:42 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
notar, or ducted tail?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 02, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
NOTAR without the need to have a variable nozel, with the idea that the EDF would be mounted close to the frame and a small lightweight tube would channel the thrust to the tail, increasing center-of-gravity.

I suppose a ducted tail would be an option if it didn't weigh a whole lot more, but I think it would, and the extra efficiency wouldn't offset the extra weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2012, 02:34 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
I have seen others trying similar things on I believe a 325 heli size. I didn't see if he ever got it to fly though. But it had a 40mm ducted fan with a depron thrust tube with an elbow at the tail. One thing you'll need to figure out is what the max thrust the stock tail can make. Then you need a fan that puts out likely 25-30% more than that to account for tube and bend losses.
are you going for a scale body to go with it?
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 02, 2012, 05:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by derk View Post
I have seen others trying similar things on I believe a 325 heli size. I didn't see if he ever got it to fly though. But it had a 40mm ducted fan with a depron thrust tube with an elbow at the tail. One thing you'll need to figure out is what the max thrust the stock tail can make. Then you need a fan that puts out likely 25-30% more than that to account for tube and bend losses.
are you going for a scale body to go with it?
Thanks, not looking for scale acuracy, but don't want a tube that was so big that it affects aerodynamics.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 10:27 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
Intriguing idea. But the one I've seen a few years back (ona Mini sized Heli though).
was problematic as in the EDF couldn't really spool up 'n down fast enough to keep up with sprited flying.
Might be ok if one avoided 3d?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old May 03, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
If I can make the tube light enough (multple drinking straws as tubes?) and find the best length to power-loss ratio to place the end as far out as possible to increase torque. I'm really hoping the ducted fan for something so small will have more than enough thrust as it's just for correction and not trying to help produce lift via acceleration.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; May 04, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 10:57 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
erm you missunderstood? EDF (on one i was a small part of) was ineffective at holding the tail, even in the right general direction, let alone 'steady'.
Tough to beat a simple stupid propeller for pure tail holding power.
Then there's the extra weight problem :-)
Old May 04, 2012, 04:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
erm you missunderstood? EDF (on one i was a small part of) was ineffective at holding the tail, even in the right general direction, let alone 'steady'.
Tough to beat a simple stupid propeller for pure tail holding power.
Then there's the extra weight problem :-)
I guess I'll have to measure the thrust of the current setup at some point. I'm hoping power of micro motors has improved in 3 years.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 06:22 AM
Fear me, I'm a space-duck.
Nederland, GE, Wageningen
Joined Nov 2011
288 Posts
The thrust may not be the problem, but the reaction time is. An edf needs to spin a lot faster to provide more thrust, which takes time. Where a prop can produce more thrust almost the moment you give a control input edfs can take up to 1-2 seconds to gain their speed. Turbines have the same problem, they have to get to speed before you will notice their effect, which means it might not be the best choise to use as a replacement for a tail rotor since those need to react fast and accurate.
hanzie is offline Find More Posts by hanzie
Old May 04, 2012, 06:51 AM
Joined Feb 2011
4,771 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. The V911 more than enough tail authority......so much that many of us are installing resistors in our stock TX's to smooth out 0-50% throw.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2012, 09:31 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Real NOTAR works with nearly constant thrust and most of the torque reaction comes from the slots in the tailboom and the Coanda effect, with only steering control comes from the tip.

This would be incredibly hard to model on a small scale, because the aerodynamic forces don't really scale down too well.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,871 Posts
It's NOT a real notar just a naive notion of using a wee EDF instead of the simple stoopid propellor.. which works "perfectly' by the way. Just a "bling' attempt imo.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:24 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,785 Posts
I put a small edf under my Blade CP once. Foward speed was crazy and flight time dropped. Very weird flights, while it lasted.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:19 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
You think it's possible to make a micro EDF work as NOTAR for my V911 micro heli? The existing tail rotor weighs about 2 grams. The ducted fan system would probably have to weigh at most 4 grams, and be around 20mm. 30mm would be too big. Thanks.
Some NOTAR related threads:

helli newbie: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827630

Honeybee FP - MD520N (notar)
darthdrk: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604655

Ishikawa's notar system
K2-tokyo: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204538

Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol