SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
Scratch Build advice - design, motors, props.

Hey everyone

I'm new to RC planes but not new to building light aircraft parts/assemblies.

At my work we build assemblies for an aircraft (flaps, ailerons, rudders, instrument panels, firewall, etc etc) , and we are going to be making parts for another aircraft, a modified GAF Nomad:

So, with access to some resources at work (urethane foam, cnc router, cad data...) i thought it would be fun to make a scale model of this plane!

Tentative plan is to nut out a design, cnc route the parts from foam and coat it in epoxy, possibly glass it depending on the size....

edit: The foam is Divinycell H, 80 density..

http://www.diabgroup.com/europe/prod...inycell_h.html

Which leads me to my initial question! I want to keep this as a triple blade twin motor setup, and i want to make it electric.. What pointers can I get to decide on the scale and what props/motors to run ?

What sort of weight should this thing be? How much can it weigh given the above ?

Very open to thoughts and input guys!
glenneaux is offline Find More Posts by glenneaux
Last edited by glenneaux; May 01, 2012 at 11:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:57 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
Hello there,
80kg per cubic meter works out to about 5 pounds per cubic foot unless I'm mistaken. That's a bit heavier than foam typically used in r/c planes, you may want to reconsider your material or look into not making it one solid chunk of foam. Also if you're new to r/c planes I'd suggest starting with something a little bit simpler like a 3-channel trainer. Check out the Scale Electric Planes section for plenty of plans and useful info on building your own.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old May 02, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Feb 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Hello there,
80kg per cubic meter works out to about 5 pounds per cubic foot unless I'm mistaken. That's a bit heavier than foam typically used in r/c planes, you may want to reconsider your material or look into not making it one solid chunk of foam. Also if you're new to r/c planes I'd suggest starting with something a little bit simpler like a 3-channel trainer. Check out the Scale Electric Planes section for plenty of plans and useful info on building your own.
Rather than making it solid foam, I can (if need be) pocket out the insides of the parts. The foam we have is about 60mm thick so can do the parts in 2 halves then bond/bolt together ... So the insides could be pocketed with webs for strength.

Failing that, can possibly look into a different material, i only came across this line of thinking due to having the foam available to me!
glenneaux is offline Find More Posts by glenneaux