HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:11 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,674 Posts
Just a *little* too much wind.

Recorded that while standing a 18 inches back from a 40 foot vertical lip overlooking a 900 foot deep 45 degree slope. The bearings in my wind meter don't sound happy any more though.

I actually ballasted up the M60 and tossed it out when the wind dropped back to about 40mph, and it was immediately turned on its head and swatted about the sky like a leaf. Got it flying, but it was too turbulent to really enjoy it, and not lifty at all. Wind basically just ripping across the mountain tops, and not enough coming down the canyon in front of the slope to really get good vertical lift. It's better in 20-25mph winds than the 40-60mph winds we saw all day today. I stayed up high for a while until there was a little bigger lull in the wind, landed and went home.

BTW.. California isn't the only place having a bit of a problem with high winds and fire right now.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Oct 29, 2003 at 11:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:14 PM
All work and no play
Lucas, KS
Joined Apr 2003
2,035 Posts
Come on. We fly at Whitewater in 79.1 mph winds. Just adddddddd more ballast. Just be careful not to break the sound barrier.
legliderman is offline Find More Posts by legliderman
Old Oct 29, 2003, 11:20 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,674 Posts
Oh don't get me wrong. I was raring to fly in those winds. The glider wasn't actually getting blow *away*, it was just getting beat to hell. Blown up, down, sideways, flipped over on its head. Basically flying mountain sized rotor. There was net positive lift, but just.. That same site with 25mph winds, produces near vertical lift. Still bumpy but 5 times more lifty.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2003, 11:30 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,873 Posts
Yeah, flying in really strong winds like that is fun for a while, but it usually blows most of the vertical component off the hill. No matter how much lead you add, you end up fighting to get your plane to penetrate, and still don't get as much punch as you would expect in the halfpipes.

Russ.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:06 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,881 Posts
Oh I don't know--- TFLG had the wind clocking over 70mph one day at Lake Hills and the planes were ballistic!!! Of course--- I was flying a Tucano with a 56" wing that weighed a mere 136 oz's!!! The shape of the slope is critical to hold wind at that velocity--- and with enough weight and an efficient foil--- the sky's the limit!!!
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Oct 30, 2003, 08:38 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
8,813 Posts
True I've flown in winds over 80 but it's not fun. It's a struggle to launch, fly and really a struggle to land. Personally I think anything over about 40 mph is a pain. I prefer 30-40mph winds and to be honest I prefer 15mph winds to 60 mph winds. When it gets that windy it's just not that much fun. You need goggles, gloves, hats, big jackets etc. The dirt gets in your eyes, ears and every other crack or orafice. It gets into your transmitter your tool box etc. Then there is the ordeal of landing a plane in those winds. I figure you have a 50/50 chance of getting down safely. There is about a one in three chance your gonna toast the plane landing. Look at lake hills last weekend. It was only blowing 30-40mph and look at how many planes were wrecked landing. Ian blew up two and Cavazos blew up one. Russ got lucky with his spit when it went down way back in the boulder field.

No, give me 30 mph and I'm a happpy camper

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Oct 30, 2003, 09:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,674 Posts
The problem here wasn't the wind speed or the shape of the hill. The problem was that there's mountains upwind of the slope. In 15-30mph winds, the wind will flow down into the valley (which runs perpendicular to the slope) even though it's fairly twisty, and then come ripping up the 900 foot slope and by the top it's going nearly vertically. In 45-70 winds, it's just blowing across the top of the mountains to the west, and there's nothing but turbulence in the valley. At one point after I landed, I saw some sage brush blowing around about halfway down the slope, and it was neither rising or falling, but just blowing around in circles. If the wind had been coming 45 degrees further to the north, then I could have gone up about 400 feet and flown a different cliff, and that would have been *rockin* because it's higher than the mountains behind it.

BTW, the *real* chore with big winds is carrying your gliders if the flying site is any distance from the car. I flew a site a couple months ago, that was about a mile from the road. When I went out there it was blowing 30mph. It ate my Miraj in severe sink where I had to cross a barbed wire fence to get it back in view as it plummetted out of sight, and then when I finally gave up flying anything else and headed back, the wind had increased from about 35mph to gusting over 60. I had 4 gliders under my arms (the largest of which, pretty much mangled), and was losing my hat (which I needed to keep my head from freezing). That was a *long* walk back. A gust would come and I'd end up leaning over so far that I'd end up on my knees.

ian
RCG Plus Member