Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
Copperopolis, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post

2) Should I mate the Naza with DJI ESCs? I was planning on using the 30A but I think that would be overkill on 4S, maybe better is using 3S but I have yet to decide what voltage to use at 800 KV.

3) I want to go 4S 3300 (have batts) and use a 20A SimonK flashed Hobbywing. I think this would be good.

Can anyone give me some opinions on my plans? I don't want to run into any probs with the Naza/ESC combo, I've read some people have probs with ESCs arming. I think 20A would be adequate at 4S, would I be best using 8" props or 9" props do you think?

e
My two-cents-worth...

The Naza was designed around the DJI ESCs. Yes, others will work. But from my reading, the folks who seem to have the most trouble are those who mix-and-match components. Seems to me that if you have a choice, why not stick with a product designed to work with the FC. You don't have to pre-program, calibrate, remove the red wire, etc. with the DJI ESCs---just plug-in and go.

I purchased a Naza F450 kit a while back and have since migrated the Naza and the DJI 30A ESCs (plus 2 more) to a scraqtch-built hexa. Everything works every time. FWIW, I'm still using the 3S batteries I got initially with the F450---works like a charm.

Jack
jforkner is offline Find More Posts by jforkner
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:25 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Thanks, Jack.

Another question...

I have some T-Motors that have really long leads. I would like to cut them shorter and solder directly to the ESC leads (no bullets). Is there any problem doing this? I've read all different opinions about shortening various wires to and from ESCs/Motors. The wires feel like they are stranded inside and not just copper w/ enamel so I don't think it would be problematic soldering together, just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has an opinion.

I saw in one of the build threads that one guy braided the motor wires, it looked nice. Is there any issue with this?

I don't know enough about inductance, I should probably get better informed.

thanks,

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:34 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Thanks, Jack.

Another question...

I have some T-Motors that have really long leads. I would like to cut them shorter and solder directly to the ESC leads (no bullets). Is there any problem doing this? I've read all different opinions about shortening various wires to and from ESCs/Motors. The wires feel like they are stranded inside and not just copper w/ enamel so I don't think it would be problematic soldering together, just thought I'd ask and see if anyone has an opinion.

I saw in one of the build threads that one guy braided the motor wires, it looked nice. Is there any issue with this?

I don't know enough about inductance, I should probably get better informed.

thanks,

e
Cutting the long leads on Tiger motors to solder them directly to the ESC is not problem. Works great.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Jul 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
QAV500 First FPV Flight (5 min 3 sec)
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jul 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Here is a picture of where to position the GoPro Down camera on the QAV500. My favorite way to attach the GoPros to the frame (front and down) is with a 0.5" Velcro brand Qwik tie band. Place a small strip of the included neoprene tape on the left and right side of the GoPro (maybe half the thickness of the tape).

Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Here is a video flown and recorded with the QAV500 and 11" Graupner E-Props (in 720p). The props fit as long as you move the GoPro into the center of the camera plate. The user said he did not use any post production software to crop or stabilize the footage.

AIR-CAM.tv - QAV500 with 11" props (6 min 8 sec)
Last edited by timnilson; Jul 13, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:46 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
QAV500 FPV night flight (3 min 43 sec)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKY2 View Post
Scary. Did you have lights on it?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Jul 16, 2012, 02:54 PM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Scary. Did you have lights on it?
nope
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:54 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
First vid on a quad ever, no FPV, waiting for goggles.

QAV500 HD Seattle (6 min 10 sec)

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
The QAV500 is now again available for pre-order.
http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-fr...-fpv-quad.html
Old Jul 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Video challenge for QAV500 pilots: Make a QAV500 Video with down-cam footage and win prizes

One of the unique features the QAV500 makes available is a down cam mount point for a GoPro at the tail of the frame. Take a QAV500 flight video with lots of down cam footage and the best 5 videos/pilots will win prizes. Winners are determined by myself and my crew of test pilots (including such luminaries as Enthlapy, Juz, K_G, Falco, Kevinv033, Peabody124, Rocky, and LemaLife).

Contest page: http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2012/07/22...n-cam-contest/

The prize for the top 5 pilots/videos is:

1.) 1 fpvmanuals LayerLens
2.) 1 spare QAV500 aluminum arm
3.) 3 fpvmanuals Scorpion lipo straps
4.) 4 Orange RC bobbins
5.) Your video will be prominently featured on the http://QAV500.com product page with your name and link to your site or YouTube channel (screen name or real name -- up to you)

It should be easy to get the prize as I have not seen anyone take down cam footage yet and this contest is only 2 weeks long. You might just win for taking a video with a down cam next weekend. Easy...

Tips

Take a look at the manual at http://qav500.com to see how/where to mount the down cam.
If you have 2 GoPros that you can use at the same time, you will have an easy time getting the CG right. If you only have 1 GoPro, make sure you place about 90g of weight on the nose of the QAV500 to help with the CG.
Place your lipo on the top of the flight controller cover to dial in the CG.

How to enter

1.) Upload your video to YouTube no later than August 6th (Monday)
2.) Add a tag to your video on youtube of: qav500-down-cam
3.) Video should be shot in 1080p and should be as vibration free as possible. Mixing forward shots and downward shots gets extra credit
4.) Video can be recorded while flying LOS or FPV
5.) Make sure you check your YouTube inbox for notification in case your video was selected. Notifications should be sent out by August 13th.

Rules

1.) Don't enter somebody else's video. You must be the pilot of the video(s). You can enter multiple videos if you'd like
2.) Must be flown with a genuine QAV500 frame -- no frame clone/copy entries or DIY builds
3.) Prior to award being sent, we'll need to verify your frame purchase with GetFPV.com

Example Video

QAV500 flight with 3 cameras (1 min 51 sec)
Old Jul 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Cool, all the best pilots are the judges so that means they can't compete right?

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jul 23, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Cool, all the best pilots are the judges so that means they can't compete right?

Paul
I told them they should compete to give everyone a run for their money (they are pretty busy guys though and I doubt they will be able to do a lot)... but, like always, you've got to be in it to win it!
Old Jul 24, 2012, 12:06 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,633 Posts
Well it just dawned on me that even if I order my frame now it won't get here in time :-(
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS