HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Feb 2012
820 Posts
Nice frame, the motor options seem limited though.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:44 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
Derek -- The GoPro is a great little camera that is just small enough to place on the nose of the QAV500. The issue with your high end GH2 is primarily with the full 500g on the nose of the frame -- you would need the same amount of weight on the back of the frame to balance the frame ("getting the CG right"). So that's one reason you can't place the camera on the nose (the camera is also too big for the nose and the props will bing with the camera). If you were to try to place the camera someplace else on the frame you'd have to come up with your own mechanism to do that. Only places possible would be above the Flight Controller or underneath the frame. While it might be possible for the QAV500 to lift the weight of the camera, flying a high end camera like the GH2 is not what the QAV500 was designed for. For a high end camera you'd always want to use a gimbal. A good gimbal alone will cost you more than the entire QAV500 frame. The QAV500 is a FPV quad that can also be used to take commercial use video with two GoPros (one forward and one downward). Applications like search/rescue, checking large areas of farm land for irrigation patterns, check forests for fallen trees, and even some real-estate work like aerial video and photos. For all these uses a GoPro is fine and you can also get away without a gimbal if your FC is finely tuned. For the price, I think the QAV500 provides very high quality video results, but not at the level of a Cinestar 6 with a good gimbal and high end camera hanging underneath.
Thanks for the great honest reply. I am learning that taking my GH2 aloft will be $$$$.
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:48 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epyonxero View Post
Nice frame, the motor options seem limited though.
Not at all. The motor mounts can take a wide variety of motors, more so than most frames actually.
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigg View Post
Any shipping news?
We are looking really good on the packing front.

- Carbon Fiber LG: done
- Ribs LG: done
- Aluminum Arms packed and wrapped in foam pouches and grouped and taped in stacks of 4: done
- Small Parts bag: done
- Separate aluminum spacer bag: done
- Grouping/taping of PDB and 3 G10 frame plates. Wrapped in foam: 30% done
- Boxing up kits: not started (mailer picked up on Saturday)

Still hoping to ship all pre-orders on Monday.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
Thanks Tim.., Looking forward to it..!
Any chance of declaring lesser value when posting to save some tax on this side. hope its not dhl they always charge tax & handling charges. usps is good.
Or if you declare it as hobby parts/ toy parts its tax exempt. Cheers.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Last edited by squigg; Jun 23, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
All the remaining pre-orders that were not shipped on Saturday are shipping out today when USPS comes and does their pick-up.

The QAV500 is now in stock, but only very few kits remain. If you do order one at http://getfpv.com now, it will ship within the next 24 to 48 hours. After that, it will take 1-2 weeks to make the next batch available.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:08 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Guys,

I am expecting my QAV500 any day (Thanks Tim!). I'm pretty excited. This will be my first purpose built FPV quad. I have two other sport quads running MW 2.0 but I intend on using the Naza for this one as I've had one sitting here for two months now. I've seen others have great success with the Naza, and I have a local friend that seems to like his so I'm going to try it out. (I've also read some reports of awful problems w/ Naza). I'm using a Spekrum 7010 RX and intend on setting it up correctly to avoid any problems. It seems most problems I've read have to do with people not setting up correct, especially failsafe.

I will be using T-Motor MT2216-12 800 KV motors. (http://www.clubheli.com/Tiger-Motors...KV_p_3581.html) note: this link is for MT-2216-11, are they different?

I have a few questions. I want to do this build right. I've had great success in the past with my own built quads, mostly because I always asked for good proven advice from fellow members on this forum.

1) At 800 KV should I be considering 4S power? The specs and KV seem to be suitable for 4S but the data only shows 3S.

2) Should I mate the Naza with DJI ESCs? I was planning on using the 30A but I think that would be overkill on 4S, maybe better is using 3S but I have yet to decide what voltage to use at 800 KV.

3) I want to go 4S 3300 (have batts) and use a 20A SimonK flashed Hobbywing. I think this would be good.

Can anyone give me some opinions on my plans? I don't want to run into any probs with the Naza/ESC combo, I've read some people have probs with ESCs arming. I think 20A would be adequate at 4S, would I be best using 8" props or 9" props do you think?

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Last edited by egaus; Jun 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
For all of you that are about to get your kits -- I have identified an issue with the bobbins and the included lock-nuts. The lock-nuts require too much force to twist them onto the studs of the bobbins and what can happen is that the studs are twisted off the very soft bobbin material. If you have regular M3 nuts, please use them instead of the included lock-nuts. If you do not have M3 nuts, please carefully proceed as described in the manual on http://qav500.com
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:03 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Would a Hoverfly Sport board fit on the QAV500? Could some special plates be made to fit the larger Hoverfly Pro?

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jun 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I received my kit today. Looks very nice. PCB boards make my day. Thanks for the heads up on the bobbins. I've decided to go ahead with my build plan above, should make for a really nice FPV/Video platform.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Would a Hoverfly Sport board fit on the QAV500? Could some special plates be made to fit the larger Hoverfly Pro?

Paul
Paul -- what are the dimensions of that board? I think you should consider using some of the included neoprene tape to make a mounting pad for your board (4 small pieces in each corner) and then affix your board with double sided tape to the neoprene. That's always a better mounting method for FCs than hard spacers -- even though the QAV500 can make hard spacers work due to the vibration isolation design.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
441 Posts
Kit received today, very well presented, will be starting the build soon around some Avroto motors/ Naza controller.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old Jun 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
I received my kit today. Looks very nice. PCB boards make my day. Thanks for the heads up on the bobbins. I've decided to go ahead with my build plan above, should make for a really nice FPV/Video platform.

e
Good luck with your build. Please post pictures as you go through it.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Mesa, Arizona
Joined Nov 2006
2,473 Posts
My kit arrived today. From the quality of the parts and packaging to the shipping box everything is first class. This is obviously work done by someone who not only knows how to fabricate parts but has taken the time to do it right.

Thanks!
Gary Evans is offline Find More Posts by Gary Evans
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:25 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
Paul -- what are the dimensions of that board? I think you should consider using some of the included neoprene tape to make a mounting pad for your board (4 small pieces in each corner) and then affix your board with double sided tape to the neoprene. That's always a better mounting method for FCs than hard spacers -- even though the QAV500 can make hard spacers work due to the vibration isolation design.
Hey Tim,

Here are the dimensions of the Hoverfly Sport board:

55mm x 55mm x 12.7mm
(2.17 in x 2.17 in x 0.25 in)

I think it's a standard size with some other boards. Any chance?

Thanks,
Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS