HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2012, 01:37 AM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
396 Posts
Svede you're a newbie quad flyer, sit down.
Tim, your quad is totally freaking awesome!!!
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 12:11 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFPVflyer View Post
Svede you're a newbie quad flyer, sit down.
Tim, your quad is totally freaking awesome!!!
Thank you very much!
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Old May 22, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
395 Posts
That is a NICE quad design. I would definitely buy one of those.

I have a DJI F450 quad and it really rocks. I put a 4500 mAh pack on it and crashed from approx. 30' up. It did break where the motors are mounted, but zero damage where the arms attach to the centre plates. I had full FPV gear on it and a GoPro (in the case). That baby was heavy. The DJI quad is super strong!

What I don't like.. I can barely fit all the gear on it. Your design is MUCH nicer for sure. I think the F450 and your quad are in two different categories. One is sport flying and the other is FPV. I too want a price and availability.

If I were to buy one, I would be putting the stock DJI motors/ESC and a Naza on it. Probably spin 10" props.
aWanderer is offline Find More Posts by aWanderer
Old May 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderer View Post
That is a NICE quad design. I would definitely buy one of those.

I have a DJI F450 quad and it really rocks. I put a 4500 mAh pack on it and crashed from approx. 30' up. It did break where the motors are mounted, but zero damage where the arms attach to the centre plates. I had full FPV gear on it and a GoPro (in the case). That baby was heavy. The DJI quad is super strong!

What I don't like.. I can barely fit all the gear on it. Your design is MUCH nicer for sure. I think the F450 and your quad are in two different categories. One is sport flying and the other is FPV. I too want a price and availability.

If I were to buy one, I would be putting the stock DJI motors/ESC and a Naza on it. Probably spin 10" props.
Thanks! Yes, the DJI 450 frame is very sturdy. Keep in mind that the QAV500 is 50mm larger diagonally, quite a bit heavier, and is built to carry a lot of payload (3 cameras, a 5000mah Lipo, etc.) and fly with big 40mm stator motors. I'll be selling replacement parts for the individual pieces of the frame so that you can easily rebuild it if needed.

Price and availability will soon be announced.
Old May 23, 2012, 08:14 AM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
440 Posts
Looking forward to this, nice looking machine.
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg
Old May 23, 2012, 10:05 AM
Joined Jul 2011
52 Posts
SOON when my fingers are eatching
beautifull machine, canīt wait to have one
CAju
caju is offline Find More Posts by caju
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
The QAV500 frame, landing gear options, and spare arms are now available for pre-order here:
http://www.getfpv.com/qav500-fpv-quad.html
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:13 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
i cant wait for mine! make them faster
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:46 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
The QAV500 frame, landing gear options, and spare arms are now available for pre-order here:
http://www.getfpv.com/qav500-fpv-quad.html
Just tried to go to your site to look at a preorder but the site was down. Something about magneto?

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jun 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Just tried to go to your site to look at a preorder but the site was down. Something about magneto?

Paul
The site was down yesterday for a bit when Amazon had an outage. It's back up.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
could you post a picture where we can see a 4s lipo 5000mah on that frame??
thank you
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:59 PM
Cape Coral, FL
Joined Nov 2001
1,910 Posts
I am just starting to learn about multi-copters and aerial photography, so forgive me if my question is in the wrong ballpark here. I have a GoPro HD Hero 2 and also a Panasonic Lumix GH2. I would really like to use the GH2, but obviously quite heavy. I see others using the very expensive Cinestar 6 with the GH2 on a gimbal hanging underneath. Can the QAV500 handle the GH2? My GH2 with 14-42 lens weighs 641 grams. The GoPro without the case is 100 grams. I see you have 2 on board, so that's 200 grams. Can you handle 441 grams more .?

- Edit: Ok, I just read the GH2 with 14mm pancake lens is only 500 grams. Getting closer!!

- Derek
DerekB is offline Find More Posts by DerekB
Last edited by DerekB; Jun 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
TREES!!! Ouch!!!
Mexico, BC
Joined Jun 2009
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post
I am just starting to learn about multi-copters and aerial photography, so forgive me if my question is in the wrong ballpark here. I have a GoPro HD Hero 2 and also a Panasonic Lumix GH2. I would really like to use the GH2, but obviously quite heavy. I see others using the very expensive Cinestar 6 with the GH2 on a gimbal hanging underneath. Can the QAV500 handle the GH2? My GH2 with 14-42 lens weighs 641 grams. The GoPro without the case is 100 grams. I see you have 2 on board, so that's 200 grams. Can you handle 441 grams more .?

- Edit: Ok, I just read the GH2 with 14mm pancake lens is only 500 grams. Getting closer!!

- Derek
im going to try a t2i on mine and that is 510 grams i think it will handle it
ROCKY2 is offline Find More Posts by ROCKY2
Old Jun 20, 2012, 10:07 PM
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB View Post

- Derek
Derek -- The GoPro is a great little camera that is just small enough to place on the nose of the QAV500. The issue with your high end GH2 is primarily with the full 500g on the nose of the frame -- you would need the same amount of weight on the back of the frame to balance the frame ("getting the CG right"). So that's one reason you can't place the camera on the nose (the camera is also too big for the nose and the props will bing with the camera). If you were to try to place the camera someplace else on the frame you'd have to come up with your own mechanism to do that. Only places possible would be above the Flight Controller or underneath the frame. While it might be possible for the QAV500 to lift the weight of the camera, flying a high end camera like the GH2 is not what the QAV500 was designed for. For a high end camera you'd always want to use a gimbal. A good gimbal alone will cost you more than the entire QAV500 frame. The QAV500 is a FPV quad that can also be used to take commercial use video with two GoPros (one forward and one downward). Applications like search/rescue, checking large areas of farm land for irrigation patterns, check forests for fallen trees, and even some real-estate work like aerial video and photos. For all these uses a GoPro is fine and you can also get away without a gimbal if your FC is finely tuned. For the price, I think the QAV500 provides very high quality video results, but not at the level of a Cinestar 6 with a good gimbal and high end camera hanging underneath.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
What goes around comes around.
Joined May 2011
440 Posts
Any shipping news?
squigg is offline Find More Posts by squigg