HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
898 Posts
So I have tested the Plushes a bit. With 9x4.7 Gemfans, no issues that I can tell. Shook the quad with motors running at various throttle settings, and the motors did not stall. Flew a pack in the front yard, hovered and did some circuits for 5 minutes. Esc's were warm, on a 55 f day. I installed some 10x4.7 Gemfans, and did the shake test, to see if the motors would stall. They did. The Graupner 10x5 fall between these two props as far as lift goes, so I would say that the Plush esc's are marginal for what I consider safe flight. I have the 30amp SimonK esc's coming from getfpv, hope they are the solution.

High timing was set on the Plush esc's. Turnigy 4s 3000mah packs. MW flight controller. FM4006 740kv.

On a side note, I do not like the way the non flashed esc's fly. They are slow to respond and make for "mushy" flight. PID tuning might take care of some of it, but it is not what I am accustomed to flying.
Scotth72 is offline Find More Posts by Scotth72
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Hi vartaz, I tried exactly that and it is too heavy. At least using 10x5 graupners and Tiger MT4006 motors. I custom-modded my top tray with aluminum standoffs so it is now 50mm high. It now easily fits my 4S/5000mAh battery, and can accommodate a larger battery (e.g., 6000mAh) if needed. I have a parallel battery setup and tried flying with another 4S/5000 battery mounted on the top plate (balanced in the middle), and it did fly, but the extra weight made it difficult to maneuver. For extra flying time beyond a 5000mAh, perhaps try a 6000 mAh battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaz View Post
btw does anyone have the dimesions for the battery "tray" on the qav500 so that i can order batterys that fit, and what batterys have you guys been using with succes? I thought about mounting one 5000mah4s in tray and one on top of top plate (then i have 10000mah 4s) what do you think about that idea?
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Finished flying yesterday afternoon with the QAV500 and NEX-5RK (with 16mm pancake lens). I'm using 10x5 graupners and Tiger motors (TM4006) with 4S/5000mAh Hyperion G3 45/90C battery. The extra weight of the NEX (compared to the RX100) was just a bit too much. The combo of the QAV500 and NEX-5RK did fly ok, however the extra weight made turning sluggish. I also like the photo quality of the RX better than the NEX. Sending the NEX back and sticking with the RX100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauntot View Post
Please do, and let us know how the 5R with the 16mm goes. I haven't bought the replacement to my hx20v yet, so either an RX100, LX7 or even a Nex 5N/5R is in order..just need a budge in the right direction.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:25 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
Hi vartaz, I tried exactly that and it is too heavy. At least using 10x5 graupners and Tiger MT4006 motors. I custom-modded my top tray with aluminum standoffs so it is now 50mm high. It now easily fits my 4S/5000mAh battery, and can accommodate a larger battery (e.g., 6000mAh) if needed. I have a parallel battery setup and tried flying with another 4S/5000 battery mounted on the top plate (balanced in the middle), and it did fly, but the extra weight made it difficult to maneuver. For extra flying time beyond a 5000mAh, perhaps try a 6000 mAh battery.
Thanks 2macgyver. I ordered the zippy compact 5000mah 4s 25c the others reccomended 2pcs for now, i have both the 10x5 and the 11x5 graupners here but if the 10 give enough lift will just use them. Where did you get the standoffs that is higher , i want those so i can upgrade to 6000mah sometime, think im dropping the idea of having 2 batteries i parralel. Dont want to mess up cg.
btw for the esc question im holding my build have everything (mt4006 naza graupners gps ezosd etc) i saw the new f-30a simonk joint developed escs from getfpv, and ordered those they say they work great with the mt4006. Dont want any stalls or crashed due to this with all my expensive gear on..
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
I'm using 30A SimonK-flashed ESC's. I've heard good and bad things about the zippy compacts, which are only 25C batteries so the output will drop in flight as the batteries drain. Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for and I didn't want to skimp on batteries. I'm using Hyperion G3 45/90C batteries. I purchased the standoffs from McMaster-Carr.

Quote:
Thanks 2macgyver. I ordered the zippy compact 5000mah 4s 25c the others reccomended 2pcs for now, i have both the 10x5 and the 11x5 graupners here but if the 10 give enough lift will just use them. Where did you get the standoffs that is higher , i want those so i can upgrade to 6000mah sometime, think im dropping the idea of having 2 batteries i parralel. Dont want to mess up cg.
btw for the esc question im holding my build have everything (mt4006 naza graupners gps ezosd etc) i saw the new f-30a simonk joint developed escs from getfpv, and ordered those they say they work great with the mt4006. Dont want any stalls or crashed due to this with all my expensive gear on..
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
I just read many posts on the qav500 where people said the zippy compacts were good - but youre right. you get what you pay for and the zc are cheap
Could you measure the a b and c of the battery tray for me, i know the length is not so important most will fit and the hight is stock (30mm?) and should be upgraded to 50mm but what about the width? thats pretty important. gonna get some other batterys as well if im not pleased with the zc but we have to wait and see....
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:49 AM
Slovakia, Bratislava Region, Bratislava
Joined Jul 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
Finished flying yesterday afternoon with the QAV500 and NEX-5RK (with 16mm pancake lens). I'm using 10x5 graupners and Tiger motors (TM4006) with 4S/5000mAh Hyperion G3 45/90C battery. The extra weight of the NEX (compared to the RX100) was just a bit too much. The combo of the QAV500 and NEX-5RK did fly ok, however the extra weight made turning sluggish. I also like the photo quality of the RX better than the NEX. Sending the NEX back and sticking with the RX100.
Wow. What was the AUW? That must be heavyy for 10x5...
dhano6 is offline Find More Posts by dhano6
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:17 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
I'm using 30A SimonK-flashed ESC's. I've heard good and bad things about the zippy compacts, which are only 25C batteries so the output will drop in flight as the batteries drain. Just like everything else in life, you get what you pay for and I didn't want to skimp on batteries. I'm using Hyperion G3 45/90C batteries. I purchased the standoffs from McMaster-Carr.
In reference to the Zippy Compacts - I find them to be excellent. No issues at all. Certainly much better than Turnigy Nano-techs.

The 25C rating is not an issue on a 5000mAh battery......unless you are pulling over 100A, which we are not on our QAV500 setups.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
That was also what i thought grazer - my current setup hovers at 22amp and 40amp when climbing, so that should not be a problem. Today i got 18 mins flight time fpv and landed without it going into lvc, could see the red lights when it came close. That was using nanotech 8400mah 4s 25-50c , looking forward to getting mine zippy 5000s and getting my own opinion
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:59 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
You can make the height of your battery tray any size you'd like. Mine is 50 mm high, and you can buy threaded standoffs that are anywhere in-between 5mm increments (35, 40, 45, 50, etc.). Mine is approx. 52mm wide for the battery tray.

Quote:
I just read many posts on the qav500 where people said the zippy compacts were good - but youre right. you get what you pay for and the zc are cheap
Could you measure the a b and c of the battery tray for me, i know the length is not so important most will fit and the hight is stock (30mm?) and should be upgraded to 50mm but what about the width? thats pretty important. gonna get some other batterys as well if im not pleased with the zc but we have to wait and see....
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
I'm not sure about the weight, as I don't have a scale to measure it. It flew nice when going forward, it was the turns and descending to land that was difficult. It would probably handle the weight better with wider non-graupner props.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhano6 View Post
Wow. What was the AUW? That must be heavyy for 10x5...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:04 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
That may be right, as I've never tried the ZC's. They may be perfectly fine, and I may experiment with them since they are so cheap. I "thought" that battery voltage drops as you are in flight and the battery is getting drained. Thus, the last half of your flight you will not have the same throttle as during the first half of your flight if you, for example, hit 3/4 or full throttle. I know that's how it was on my hexa when using 3S batteries, as I had to hit full throttle just to hover and land when the pack was around 25-30% remaining, and those were 45/90C batteries. Where did you get an 8400mAh 4S battery? Or is that a typo?

Quote:
That was also what i thought grazer - my current setup hovers at 22amp and 40amp when climbing, so that should not be a problem. Today i got 18 mins flight time fpv and landed without it going into lvc, could see the red lights when it came close. That was using nanotech 8400mah 4s 25-50c , looking forward to getting mine zippy 5000s and getting my own opinion
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Its these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I had several of them, then took them apart and made 3x3cell to 2x4cell by soldering an extra cell to the packs and repacking them :-)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:44 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,655 Posts
That is a MONSTROUS sized battery, wow! Impressive, I would have never thought to try something like that.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,357 Posts
I gotta say;

I'm not overly impressed with the NanoTech. I don't think I will buy any more.

I just got some ZC's and I was thinking they were 35C, but I must have

purchased the 25C because that is what I have.

With only a couple of flights on the ZC 25C, I am satisfied with the performance.

I need to run them some more and put them through the paces.

It is good to read your feedback...

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
In reference to the Zippy Compacts - I find them to be excellent. No issues at all. Certainly much better than Turnigy Nano-techs.

The 25C rating is not an issue on a 5000mAh battery......unless you are pulling over 100A, which we are not on our QAV500 setups.
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson