SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Grazer i looked last night and there was only 1 left qav500 in stock so i fast ordered and got it :-)
Good for you, you cheeky little devil.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:43 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
16 in stock at RMRC.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:25 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,778 Posts
Hey Guys,
I have completed my first QAV500 build. This is my second quad. I set this up for FPV, so no LED's. I really wanted to test how well this frame could isolate the vibration, so I did not balance any of the props nor the motors. The built was a little difficult as it was my first ground up build, but there was enough information on the net to get it done. I also did not flash any ESC's, as I wanted to fly everything stock.

I used 4 Dualsky 4010TE-5 motors, 4 Dualsky 30A ESC's, 4 9047 Gem Fan Slow fly props, Fatshark 250 mAh 5.8 transmitter, Tiny OSD, PZ0420, and GO Pro Naked. I am running a 4s3300 Mad Dog battery and a separate 450 mAh 11.1V for the camera and OSD. For the flight controller I am using a Quadrino Zoom, 1E.

I get 10 mins of run time on 4s. I tried 3s, but only would get 5 minutes with 10x4.7. I dropped 10A my using the smaller prop and 4s.

Here is a video of my first FPV flight. This is a true testament to the isolation factor of this frame. As you can see the video is great, and I did not spend any time to balance props or motors. Also no need for flashing ESC's, this flies great as is. I also flew this whole video in acro mode.

First QAV500 Flight with Quadrino and Dualsky 4010TE-5 Brushless Motor, FPV (5 min 16 sec)
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:11 PM
United States, OH, Sylvania
Joined Jan 2013
75 Posts
That's awesome. No jello at all!
Venom93corba is offline Find More Posts by Venom93corba
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:33 PM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,778 Posts
Yeah,
I think the best part of this frame is that it helps take out the vibrations that you can spend hours just trying to find on other frames. If you are serious about making some cool video and want to fly more then worry about vibrations, go buy one!
Thinking the 400 will be my next one, just gotta save up!
Mark
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:47 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
937 Posts
Got mine together, and took it out for its first flights. The third flight in, one esc completely lost sync, and down she went. No real damage but some bent arms. I ordered some Plush esc's, hope they work with the FM4006's. I am not having any luck with SimonK flashed F30a's.
I think the extreme jello that comes and goes is the motors stuttering in flight.
At least I got to film Sedona in the snow.

Bell Rock Snow (5 min 3 sec)

Cathedral Snow (0 min 0 sec)
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:24 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post
Got mine together, and took it out for its first flights. The third flight in, one esc completely lost sync, and down she went. No real damage but some bent arms. I ordered some Plush esc's, hope they work with the FM4006's. I am not having any luck with SimonK flashed F30a's.
I think the extreme jello that comes and goes is the motors stuttering in flight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRGI...iWA_p5wqxI9PiQ

http://youtu.be/u9L8ZYDqXOk
Way cool. You have a nice place to fly.

Sorry to hear about your failed ESC. I had a 30 amp fry on me too.

It happened on the ground after a couple of good flights, I was starting a new flight and "POP"...

The ones that I was using were not rated for 4S, but others were using them successfully, so I figure I was safe.

I was lucky that it happened to me on the ground.

Now I am back to my 20 amp that I had on the Hex, and they are working well...
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:58 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Is there anywhere outside the US that sells this frame? Preferably in Europe..?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:51 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Is there anywhere outside the US that sells this frame? Preferably in Europe..?
I would guess not as they just announced worldwide shipping for the 400 on the website?

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2013/02/08...ng-world-wide/
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
I would guess not as they just announced worldwide shipping for the 400 on the website?

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/2013/02/08...ng-world-wide/
Yeah cheers, did see the 400, couldn't make my mind up over which one.. kind of like the alloy arms on the 500.. Do you know much about either of them?? Want something for my gopro that isn't a TBS.

I know there's something like a 90%+ chance of paying import duty from the states.. Making it not a cheap frame.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:48 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,791 Posts
The 400 has alloy arms too ... they are black anodised.

Agree about the import duty / VAT / handling fees - they seem pretty hot on stuff coming from the US

Maybe I'm wrong though and there is someone in Europe who re-sells ... might be worth dropping them an email?
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth72 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LRGI...iWA_p5wqxI9PiQ

http://youtu.be/u9L8ZYDqXOk
Did they perform well until it failed? The New simonk firmware should work well with those motors. Im troubled about which escs to choose?
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:18 PM
Multirotors blow
Peterborough, England
Joined Dec 2006
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgearuk View Post
Yeah cheers, did see the 400, couldn't make my mind up over which one.. kind of like the alloy arms on the 500.. Do you know much about either of them?? Want something for my gopro that isn't a TBS.

I know there's something like a 90%+ chance of paying import duty from the states.. Making it not a cheap frame.
Hi mate - here is a video to my QAV500 which I finally got to fly for the first time last weekend! I got stung for import duty though so not so cheap in the end!

I did my first FPV flight with it too but later in the day so only had one go - man it's hard to tell what height you are flying at in FPV, especially in the hover! Can't wait for some better weather to try again!

Quadcopter - The Movie 2013 (Multicopter Rc Aircraft) (5 min 25 sec)

George.
georgebinns is offline Find More Posts by georgebinns
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
323 Posts
so no chance of getting QAV500 or 400 in europe?
gondoflier is offline Find More Posts by gondoflier
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:43 PM
FPV really is fun.
Sedona, Az
Joined Sep 2001
937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vartaz View Post
Did they perform well until it failed? The New simonk firmware should work well with those motors. Im troubled about which escs to choose?
The frame flew pretty well, and since I was flying FPV, I didn't notice motor stuttering. Until it fell out of the sky. I have the crash footage, you can clearly hear the front motor squeal and stall as I pulled out of a dive. I will report back when I get the Plushes installed.
Scotth72 is online now Find More Posts by Scotth72