HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:07 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Im getting the qav500 with the Tiger Motor MT-4006-13 740kv . Will i have problems using my naza with gps and dji opto 30a escs can dji opto handle pancake motor? also will i get probems adding 150mm landing gear with place for mounting 2x5000mah 4s . and on graupner 10 or 11, will it have enough thrust ? Nice looking frame looking forward to getting mine :-D
Yes a tight fit for Opto 30's but possible. My buddy went with that combo.
Having said that, he has had issues using Opto 30A ESC's with MT-4006 motors. He has eliminated all possible causes, the final being the ESC's. He has got some Simon K flashed HK 30A to install (same as my setup) to hopefully give reliable results. Mine has been perfect so far.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:48 PM
Plainfield, IN
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
Subscribed

Lou
TK421 is offline Find More Posts by TK421
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:28 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
279 Posts
I'm flying with the QAV500 and Sony RX100 camera. The photos and videos from the RX100 are fantastic.

I'm researching ways to get a macro-type of shot/video with this camera and have come across a few things on the internet, but nothing that looks great.

When I compare the FPV cam footage to the RX100, it looks like the RX100 is zoomed in a bit (even though it is zoomed all the way out). Trying to figure out how to get RX100 video to look more "zoomed out". Thoughts?
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Aug 2005
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
I'm flying with the QAV500 and Sony RX100 camera. The photos and videos from the RX100 are fantastic.

I'm researching ways to get a macro-type of shot/video with this camera and have come across a few things on the internet, but nothing that looks great.

When I compare the FPV cam footage to the RX100, it looks like the RX100 is zoomed in a bit (even though it is zoomed all the way out). Trying to figure out how to get RX100 video to look more "zoomed out". Thoughts?
Hi Macgyver - For macro shots, the RX100 isn't good at it as what I've been researching recently. If you want macro, the HX20V or 30V will be the ticket if you're looking for the same size cam. The RX100 looks "zoomed in" even when it's not actually because the focal range starts at 10mm (equiv to 28mm on full frame) when compared to a small FPV cam which normally has a wider FOV (hence looks zoomed out) due to the lens on FPV cams.

Here's a quick macro video I did the other day with the HX20V for reference -
"Little things" (2 min 27 sec)
- the RX100 wouldn't be able to come close to this, I've been told.

Disclaimer - I actually had the HX20V until a couple of days ago, will be replacing it with either an RX100 or Pana LX7, just researching which one to get.
I don't usually do macro videos, I was just pointing out that if you want to do macro shots with the RX100, while it can do it, it isn't the best p&s tool out there to do it.

Are you looking to do macro shots while FPV'ing with the QAV? I reckon that'd be pretty hard to do, if not impossible. But if you can, I'm sure the results will be great, can't wait to see those.

Read this for reference on the RX100 vs HX20V video capabilities...hope it helps - http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3376795
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:16 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
279 Posts
Hi shauntot,

Thanks for the great reply and video! The RX100 is great for AP/AV, which is exactly what I'm looking for and using it for. Been flying with the RX100 for a week or two. I usually fly FPV and have noticed that, while the RX-100 video is fantastic and no jello, that it seems zoomed in a bit more than I'd like. In order to get the shot that I want, I need to fly farther up and back than what I see through the FPV camera. This is not too big of a deal for most places, just looking for a more perfect camera.

I figured a macro lens, or something similar, would "fix" this issue. I checked the HX20 and that does look good too for specs compared to RX100. Not very much in these forums about it, only a few messages, so I wonder how the jello would be with that camera.

The Nex5R also looks nice.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2005
406 Posts
Quote:
Hi shauntot,

Thanks for the great reply and video! The RX100 is great for AP/AV, which is exactly what I'm looking for and using it for. Been flying with the RX100 for a week or two. I usually fly FPV and have noticed that, while the RX-100 video is fantastic and no jello, that it seems zoomed in a bit more than I'd like. In order to get the shot that I want, I need to fly farther up and back than what I see through the FPV camera. This is not too big of a deal for most places, just looking for a more perfect camera.

I figured a macro lens, or something similar, would "fix" this issue. I checked the HX20 and that does look good too for specs compared to RX100. Not very much in these forums about it, only a few messages, so I wonder how the jello would be with that camera.

The Nex5R also looks nice.
I picked up the HX20V for AP/AV too (I guess we were all inspired by dslack and his rx100 with the qav at some point) . I went with the HX20V instead of the RX100 simply because it was cheaper but with the same quality video (just video, not for still pics though) - they are worlds aparts with still pics, the RX100 is on a diff. level when it comes to still pics compared to the HX20V.

Anyhow, if you're comparing the FPV cam's FOV to what the RX100 is capturing, perhaps it would be an easier and cheaper route to find a lens for your FPV cam and replace that instead of getting a fix for the RX100? If you manage to find a lens for your FPV cam to match the focal length of the RX100, that would be a good start.

The 5N is also good for the QAV, I believe "Yosemite" one of the QAV fliers here has that on his QAV. A bit big, but doable if you really want to go that route. I'd stick with the RX100/or HX20V I suppose, for the QAV.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:30 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
279 Posts
I'm thinking I may test out the Sony NEX-5RK with the 16mm pancake and wide angle lens, just to compare to the RX100. I've checked out yosemite's photos of his QAV500 with NEX5N mounted. It looks like a tight fit and flies nice too. Hope his QAV500 is ok after yesterday's rough landing.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:32 PM
Joined Aug 2005
406 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking I may test out the Sony NEX-5RK with the 16mm pancake and wide angle lens, just to compare to the RX100. I've checked out yosemite's photos of his QAV500 with NEX5N mounted. It looks like a tight fit and flies nice too. Hope his QAV500 is ok after yesterday's rough landing.
Please do, and let us know how the 5R with the 16mm goes. I haven't bought the replacement to my hx20v yet, so either an RX100, LX7 or even a Nex 5N/5R is in order..just need a budge in the right direction.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:23 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Having said that, he has had issues using Opto 30A ESC's with MT-4006 motors. He has eliminated all possible causes, the final being the ESC's. He has got some Simon K flashed HK 30A to install (same as my setup) to hopefully give reliable results. Mine has been perfect so far.
I think im going away from the dji opto 30as then, as i already ordered the tiger mt 4006-13 740kv motors and graupner 10 and 11īs... What escs did you use that mated well with the naza and the pancake tigers ? Im being advised to try these as they should work well (im told that the newest simonK firmware dont have problems with those pancakes any more) and they have simonk newest and nfets and external oscilliator http://rcmanchild.com/simonk-30a-escs.html - all who have the tiger mt4006 please tell me which esc you are using
btw Got the carbon landing gear as i think the tall one wil destroy CG of the frame
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,739 Posts
I had problems with SimonK flash escs with my 4006s.

I switched to Turnigy Plush 18A non flashed, and no problems.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:16 PM
Joined Aug 2005
406 Posts
same here, turnigy plush 18 non-flashed from hobbyking with my 4006, no problems at all
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:22 PM
Plainfield, IN
Joined Sep 2004
269 Posts
I'd be curious to hear about the RCMC esc's on the MT 4006....

Lou
TK421 is offline Find More Posts by TK421
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:36 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
I tried the opto 30A on a CC3D, and running FM4008s. It made my qav seem sluggish, heavier than normal. As soon as I replaced them with just the 18A stock plushies it was a lot peppier.

I'm convinced those ESC are made to work optimally with the Naza(and possibly with only DJI motors). No luck trying some rcx 2822/8 2600kv motors, they just kept spinning up until it hit full throttle shortly after arming, scared the crap outta me!
Gideon1961 is offline Find More Posts by Gideon1961
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:25 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,540 Posts
Oh man.....just completing second order of a QAV500 and now out-of-stock. Bummer!

Got an OP CC3D ready to install too!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:48 AM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Ok so the opto's are not the best i see. I have some turnigy plush already but would like some ones with external oscilliator and nfets like the f-30a, i think im going for the f-30a from rcmc which is already flashed.
daskim which firmware did you use? cause as i read it the newest simonk fw does not have problems with pancake motors anymore... and the rcmc has the newest
edit: Grazer i looked last night and there was only 1 left qav500 in stock so i fast ordered and got it :-)
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz