United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
Thanks,
did your maiden go well?

Thanks,
I got the FPV gear on tonight. It all works except I have to turn the camera over.
I'm real close to a FPV maiden.
The maiden did go well.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Last edited by 2MacGyver; Feb 26, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:11 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I learned a lesson by running my dji f550.

I got better results by running two LiPo's in parallel, than running one LiPo with a larger Mah.

This is how I plan to run my second LiPo.

I still need to do the FPV Maiden, and that will include flying with the second LiPo.

Nice setup. It looks like the CG would be more near the back (and not the middle) with the 2 batteries positioned like that?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post

Noticed the motors are out of stock at getfpv. I purchased these same Tiger motors at RMRC, and they are a few dollars cheaper.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:41 PM
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
Quote:
Grazer - does the 4s Zippy Compact 5000Mah fit inside the frame withouth any mods to the standoffs or do they require longer standoffs?
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Last edited by shauntot; Jan 16, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:44 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Grazer - does the 5s Zippy Compact 5000Mah fit inside the frame withouth any mods to the standoffs or do they require longer standoffs?
Assume you mean 4S 5000Mah? If so, YES. Fits inside frame without mods required. I can post a picture later if you like.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:45 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Noticed the motors are out of stock at getfpv. I purchased these same Tiger motors at RMRC, and they are a few dollars cheaper
Or you could flick an email to Tim and get an idea on when they will be back in stock, so you can freight once. More important for folks like me that are a greater distance from the US.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:31 PM
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
Quote:
Assume you mean 4S 5000Mah? If so, YES. Fits inside frame without mods required. I can post a picture later if you like.
Oops, typo right there. Yes a 4s 5000mah. Good to hear it fits ok, I chickened out from getting 5000mahs from hobbyking, and went for the 4500mah instead. Didn't think the 5000mahs were going to fit ok. Thanks for offering the pic, that'll be good Grazer, cheers
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:04 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Here you go.....a few iPhone pics.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:03 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,379 Posts
Thanks,

I was surprised how centered the CG is... It does rely on having that GoPro on front.

I'm glad to hear that all went well for you...

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
Nice setup. It looks like the CG would be more near the back (and not the middle) with the 2 batteries positioned like that?
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslack67 View Post
Daskim - Here is the answer to your question. YES, the RX100 works beautifully. Here is the first 2 test flights, see for yourself. No prop issues at all, fits fine.
dslack67 - did you mount the RX100 flat on the tray like a GoPro would be there and the angle is just the flight angle? I've been flying my RX100 on my Phantom and the footage is pretty amazing, probably getting a QAV next and just wondering how you mounted this. Thnx!
kazkioken is offline Find More Posts by kazkioken
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
Grazer - thanks for the pic. Perfect fit it seems. Quick question thought, what's the V-antenna for? I see you have a 5.8 cloverleaf for your gopro (which as assume is your fpv cam as well), I don't know what the v-antenna is for and is making me curious

How are you balancing that thing btw? I am currently using 2 batteries (2 pcs 2500mah in parallel) and if I put one of the batts in the tray like yours, I get a rear-ward CG when I try to balance the QAV by placing my 2 index fingers underneath the QAV, right in the centerline. I then have to place the 2nd battery on top of the frame, towards the centerish-front a bit to get the whole thing to balance out. That's with a gopro in front as well.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:35 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Hey shauntot.

No worries for the pics. The V antenna is for my EZ UHF Rx. Yep using 5.8Ghz for video and I use the GoPro to record and as my FPV camera.

The CG with the 5000Mah pack is very slight aft of centre. Importantly it flies great!
Maybe my other bits forward of centre have assisted with balance - like EZ OSD (I wrapped black shrink wrap) after doing GPS mod, so its hard to see in photos.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Aug 2005
405 Posts
grazer - Wow UHF, you must be getting a ton of usable range with that setup. I use 2.4 for control and 1.3 for fpv and I only get less than 500meters. I ordered a notch filter so hopefully that increases my range a bit.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
grazer - Wow UHF, you must be getting a ton of usable range with that setup. I use 2.4 for control and 1.3 for fpv and I only get less than 500meters. I ordered a notch filter so hopefully that increases my range a bit.
So I hope to never fly beyond my Radio control range. I am happy with distances less than 5kms anyway on this quad. As for video, I have a ground station - tracker - pan / tilt. I have flown the QAV only 1.5km max distance with solid video all the way. As you would expect. Using same Video gear and tracker on a fixed wing, I have been out 3.5kms with strong video. The only limiting factor then was my Spektrum 2.4Ghz, but that is pretty good range for that, by all accounts!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
and I only get less than 500meters
500 meters? Video or control? Either one doesn't sound right.
RCG Plus Member