HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:11 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Very nice job. What do you mean by "Upgrading GPS"?
Oh, I removed the GPS from the stock EZ OSD and soldered in a better GPS unit called a LS20031. The Sats come up real quick and lock. My tracker works even better now too.

Quote:
Have you had any issues with your UHF receiver mounted so close to the GoPro?

No none at all. Flew full FPV today and all the EZ UHF data was sweet. It's maybe not as close as the photo suggests. There is about 160mm between the camera and Rx.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Will Tiger motors (MT-4006) be ok with SimonK-flashed ESC's? That is the setup I'm looking at. At least one of the posters on this thread listed that combo and it seems to be ok.

From the GetFPV site:
"May not perform well on ESCs flashed with aftermarket firmware such as SimonK"

What is the reasoning behind this statement?

Why are some motors not recommended with flashed ESC's, whereas others are recommended? Can running a flashed ESC on the MT-4006 motors damage the ESC and/or motor?
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:55 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Will Tiger motors (MT-4006) be ok with SimonK-flashed ESC's? That is the setup I'm looking at. At least one of the posters on this thread listed that combo and it seems to be ok.
Well, that is what I am using and so far so good. Actually, very impressed. ESC's and motors come down cool every flight.

I can't explain why compatibility issues. Sorry.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:41 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,411 Posts
There was a cogging issue with the disk type motors for a while, but Simon has worked on it, and it seems to be functioning fine now. I think that the compatibility list needs to be updated.

The issue was related to the amount of magnets that the disk motors have.

I have been looking around and everyone seems to be happy with the disk motors and the newest Simon K firmware
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
284 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Good to know. The Tiger MT-4006 motors and SimonK-flashed ESC's are what I ordered.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:49 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
The 4006-13 motors are sexy as hell. They look and perform really well. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:42 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Spent some time flight testing yesterday. Managed to tune out my oscillations.

Went for a flight very late in the day to test.

Pilot needs more practice, but I am convinced I have the right frame and gear for the task.

QAV500 Beach Run 1 (3 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Spent some time flight testing yesterday. Managed to tune out my oscillations.

Went for a flight very late in the day to test.

Pilot needs more practice, but I am convinced I have the right frame and gear for the task.

https://vimeo.com/56450680
How is this frame and setup in windy conditions?I like the way you angled the camera about 25 degrees down.

Your beaches look nicer than ours. Ours boring
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:24 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Quote:
How is this frame and setup in windy conditions?I like the way you angled the camera about 25 degrees down.

Your beaches look nicer than ours. Ours boring
I have flown it in pretty windy / gusty conditions and it handled well. This flight that I posted above was in 20km/h winds.

The angle is simply the flight angle. The camera is mounted flat on the designated area on the "clean" plate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:52 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,282 Posts
Quote:
I have flown it in pretty windy / gusty conditions and it handled well. This flight that I posted above was in 20km/h winds.

The angle is simply the flight angle. The camera is mounted flat on the designated area on the "clean" plate.
I know Tim's design [from pictures] avoids vibration. Do you find it in real life it works too? And I'm going to go with similar motors or 4008 if I decide to go with this setup.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:57 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
Quote:
I know Tim's design [from pictures] avoids vibration. Do you find it in real life it works too? And I'm going to go with similar motors or 4008 if I decide to go with this setup.
Yes - The design with the "dirty" and "clean" plates is brilliant. The bobbins are excellent and of course you must be as precise with your build as possible. For example, you do not want anything connecting the dirty section with the clean section, except the bobbins, otherwise the vibration will transfer.
You must balance the props regardless of how much money you spend on them and how good you think they are out of the box. I used Graupner 10 x 5 on this build. One was balanced out of the box, 1 needed some balancing and the remaining 2 were a long way out.
I chose the QAV500, because I wanted the best frame I could afford for Aerial Photography.
Tuning your flight controller, in my case the Naza, is critical too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:05 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,282 Posts
Quote:
Yes - The design with the "dirty" and "clean" plates is brilliant. The bobbins are excellent and of course you must be as precise with your build as possible. For example, you do not want anything connecting the dirty section with the clean section, except the bobbins, otherwise the vibration will transfer.
You must balance the props regardless of how much money you spend on them and how good you think they are out of the box. I used Graupner 10 x 5 on this build. One was balanced out of the box, 1 needed some balancing and the remaining 2 were a long way out.
I chose the QAV500, because I wanted the best frame I could afford for Aerial Photography.
Tuning your flight controller, in my case the Naza, is critical too.
Thank you for your direct input. I always loved his design & quality. That's my next frame.
Where did you learn how to balance props and what equipment do you use?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:15 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
No worries. You won't regret the QAV500. It is well thought out and the manufacturing is executed perfectly.
Balancing props is super easy. I use a Du-Bro balancer. This one:

http://shop.dubro.com/p/tru-spin-pro...ncer-qty-pkg-1

The product is featured here and there are some instructional videos too.

I prefer to add weight rather than sand weight off. And......I use clear nail polish rather than tape to balance. Just make sure that it is completely dry and hardened before you spin the props up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 02:47 AM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
2,282 Posts
Quote:
No worries. You won't regret the QAV500. It is well thought out and the manufacturing is executed perfectly.
Balancing props is super easy. I use a Du-Bro balancer. This one:

http://shop.dubro.com/p/tru-spin-pro...ncer-qty-pkg-1

The product is featured here and there are some instructional videos too.

I prefer to add weight rather than sand weight off. And......I use clear nail polish rather than tape to balance. Just make sure that it is completely dry and hardened before you spin the props up.
I like this a lot. Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 09:19 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,544 Posts
QAV500 - The Lake

Got this baby dialled in. Loving it!

QAV500 The Lake (4 min 5 sec)
RCG Plus Member