Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
high speed oscillating

I'm having some setup issues with my qav500 and naza. I originally had it setup with 960kv ntm 3536 motors, 11" props on 3s.

It flew well with gains at 120, 120, 150, 150, atti 80, 80, however when going above 60% throttle I would get oscillations.

I then tried, MT2814 1000kv motors, 10" props, 4S battery. with gains @ 100, 100, 150, 150, atti 80, 80 I would get oscillations even at hover, and when throttling up they would increase dramatically.

I tried the same setup above with 9" props, still experiencing oscillation and it was not very flyable.

Basically, I am struggling to find usable gains on the naza without oscillation. If I can get the oscillation out during hover, they appear during throttle up. My gains are as low as I've ever had them.

Are people having any issues with the MT2814 750kv motors and 11" props? I may have to try these next.

Has anyone ever tried basic gains below 100? any other tips or suggestions to remove this high pitch oscillation?
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Having some similar experiences, having just set up a QAV500 with Naza.

I have spent some time tuning this morning, then test flying each time I have made a change.

My settings right now are:

110 / 122 / 110 / 160
100 / 100

I am not suggesting these as perfect by any stretch of the imagination. Just the best settings so far in my experimenting. I also have not tested in a large open space, only in my yard. The wind has also been relatively strong for all of my test hovers / flights.

My greatest concern is battery run time. I have been using some Turnigy Nano-tech 3000Mah 25 - 50c. I have had them a little while, so perhaps they are just old / mushy. They get hot, puff and good for only a couple of minutes hover time.

I have 4 x 5000mah Zippy compact batteries in transit to me. I hope these are better.......
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
I'm looking to get a QAV500. However, since I have never done a custom build before, I would be interested in having someone with experience do the custom build for me. Any suggestions/interest? Or I could build it myself, take 5x longer, and learn a lot.
2MacGyver is offline Find More Posts by 2MacGyver
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:11 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
I'm looking to get a QAV500. However, since I have never done a custom build before, I would be interested in having someone with experience do the custom build for me. Any suggestions/interest? Or I could build it myself, take 5x longer, and learn a lot.
I think Tim also does custom builds. But I haven't seen him around the forum lately.
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:37 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
I think Tim also does custom builds. But I haven't seen him around the forum lately.
Probably enjoying some time with his family over Christmas and the New Year period.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:23 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Finished building my QAV500. It is a beautifully designed and manufactured frame. Very impressed.

List of gear:

QAV500 V1.2
HK 30A ESC's flashed SimonK - Thanks to kaz1104
Tiger Motor 4006-13 (pancake style)
Graupner props 10x5
Naza with GPS
EZ OSD with current sensor - I upgraded GPS module. Wow! what a HUGE improvement.
EZ UHF
GoPro Hero 2
ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz VTx 600mw
Only used 4S 3200Mah battery for tests - I have some Zippy compact 5000Mah in transit to me.

The build was pretty straight forward. I spent some time doing hover tests in the back yard, just to tune the gains.
I have arrived at a reasonable setup, but still some tweaking to be done. I am getting oscillation in hard turns.

The video is simply test flight footage at my local park. Not intended to be a creative masterpiece.
Very happy with "No Jello" outcome. Just have to eradicate the oscilation wobbles.

And plenty of "smooth flying" practice to be done yet.

QAV500 test flight 1 (4 min 48 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
Probably enjoying some time with his family over Christmas and the New Year period.
I'm just going to custom build it myself, it'll be my first one.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,381 Posts
Just make sure that you don't have cold solder joints, and try to get it balanced.

The rest should be pretty straight forward.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MacGyver View Post
I'm just going to custom build it myself, it'll be my first one.
m_beeson is online now Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Aug 2011
310 Posts
so does anyone have a solution for the oscillation wobbles with the naza? if you're just hovering, they don't appear, but when you start to push it a little they come on strong.

I'm getting close to giving up with the Naza on this frame; I may try a KK3 or Rabbit fc soon
slidins15 is offline Find More Posts by slidins15
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:29 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
so does anyone have a solution for the oscillation wobbles with the naza? if you're just hovering, they don't appear, but when you start to push it a little they come on strong.
Have you tried my gain settings posted above?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:37 PM
Always Excel >>>
United States
Joined Mar 2012
1,938 Posts
Quote:
Finished building my QAV500. It is a beautifully designed and manufactured frame. Very impressed.

List of gear:

QAV500 V1.2
Graupner props 10x5
Naza with GPS
EZ OSD with current sensor - I upgraded GPS module. Wow! what a HUGE improvement.
EZ UHF
GoPro Hero 2
Only used 4S 3200Mah battery for tests - I have some Zippy compact 5000Mah in transit to me.

The build was pretty straight forward. I spent some time doing hover tests in the back yard, just to tune the gains.
I have arrived at a reasonable setup, but still some tweaking to be done. I am getting oscillation in hard turns.

The video is simply test flight footage at my local park. Not intended to be a creative masterpiece.
Very happy with "No Jello" outcome. Just have to eradicate the oscilation wobbles.

And plenty of "smooth flying" practice to be done yet.

https://vimeo.com/56359750
Very nice job. What do you mean by "Upgrading GPS"?
Thanks!
BenHayat is online now Find More Posts by BenHayat
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:51 PM
United States, VT
Joined Apr 2012
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidins15 View Post

I'm getting close to giving up with the Naza on this frame; I may try a KK3 or Rabbit fc soon
Have you tried the settings posted by Dave Slack in his youtube video:

Dave Slack 2 months ago

For this test flight, I simply set all settings to a starting point of 140. Roll/Pitch/Yaw, Altitude and Attitude. From this test flight, I am going to leave Roll/Pitch at 140, lower Yaw to 120, raise Altitude to 160 and lower Attitude R/P to 110. Will fly again this weekend with those settings.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:44 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
852 Posts
Independently rotating front headlights running off a 3.7v step down and underneath bushing mounted Go Pro.

RMRC 600 Nav cam with low lux lens.
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:17 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
355 Posts
Quote:

List of gear:

QAV500 V1.2
Graupner props 10x5
Naza with GPS
EZ UHF
GoPro Hero 2
Have you had any issues with your UHF receiver mounted so close to the GoPro?
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit