HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
It flies fine with either a Plush 18amp ESC on 4s or a Tiger 18amp ESC. You can use the NX-4008 or the FM-4008 -- they are a lot cheaper, but not at the same build quality as the Tiger motor.
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be going with the Turnigy Plush 18 because I intend to re-flash them. Do you know if those use Atmega or Silab chips?

The tiger is too expensive for me now and I settled on the NX or FM 4008. My last question is, whats the difference between the 2? I see the FM has a 4 mm vs 3 mm shaft and different mounting holes and is also heavier. Which one should I choose and why?

And that should do it. Thank you for your patience!
skripo is offline Find More Posts by skripo
Last edited by skripo; Oct 01, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:28 AM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,744 Posts
Tim: Quick question.

I am writing an article on Aerial Videography for Beginners. Just published part 1.

Second part deals with camera options.

Will the next Sony RX100 work with the QAV? It's only .5 inches wider than GoPro with mount. I'm worried about prop interfere, not weight, as it's only 80 grams heavier.

Dimensions:

4.00 x 2.29 x 1.41

Weight :

260 grams.

It has better video (1080/60p), less compression, and the less an optical stabilization.

Sent an extensive message using the online form at FPVmanuals on this issue, but no response.

Thank you.

david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:02 AM
timnilson's Avatar
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skripo View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I will be going with the Turnigy Plush 18 because I intend to re-flash them. Do you know if those use Atmega or Silab chips?

The tiger is too expensive for me now and I settled on the NX or FM 4008. My last question is, whats the difference between the 2? I see the FM has a 4 mm vs 3 mm shaft and different mounting holes and is also heavier. Which one should I choose and why?

And that should do it. Thank you for your patience!
The Plush 18amp ESC are Silab. I know there are efforts to flash Silab ESCs, but it's not nearly as far along as flashing ESCs with Atmega. If you're planning on flashing your ESCs, the Plush 18amp is probably not the best ESC you can pick for that reason.

On motors, the FM-4008 and NX-4008 are very close. Same KV, same power, just slightly different in the way the shaft and prop mount is put together. For the QAV500, the FM-4008 is the more popular motors, but I have seen builds that use the NX-4008 successfully. The QAV500 has mounting holes for both motors -- even though both motors have unique mounting holes.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:03 AM
timnilson's Avatar
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Tim: Quick question.

I am writing an article on Aerial Videography for Beginners. Just published part 1.

Second part deals with camera options.

Will the next Sony RX100 work with the QAV? It's only .5 inches wider than GoPro with mount. I'm worried about prop interfere, not weight, as it's only 80 grams heavier.

Dimensions:

4.00 x 2.29 x 1.41

Weight :

260 grams.

It has better video (1080/60p), less compression, and the less an optical stabilization.

Sent an extensive message using the online form at FPVmanuals on this issue, but no response.

Thank you.

david
David -- just to make sure everyone knows, I did respond to your message on the RX100. While the cam can theoretically fit, the QAV500 was not tested or designed with this camera in mind.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:09 PM
timnilson's Avatar
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Dave Slack sent me this promo video he put together. I think he did a great job.

QAV500 Video Ad (4 min 55 sec)
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:52 PM
Registered User
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
620 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
Dave Slack sent me this promo video he put together. I think he did a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kw_ou3fO7o
Really cool, except Dave Slack is amazing at recording quality shake free footage as it is. He could make a Radio Shack $40 helicopter with a Chinese Micro FPV rig look like an IMAX Movie presentation.

Jokes aside.. looking good
TimeTrave1er is online now Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Not as good as some others, but here's one from today
QAV Good Times (9 min 52 sec)
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
Registered User
S2000442's Avatar
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
159 Posts
What are your thoughts on the kk2 board vs. Naza board to control this quad. Pros and cons of each would be great!
S2000442 is offline Find More Posts by S2000442
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
timnilson's Avatar
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000442 View Post
What are your thoughts on the kk2 board vs. Naza board to control this quad. Pros and cons of each would be great!
I have personally not flown the KK2 board on the QAV500, only the Naza, CC, and APM2. I did fly the KK2 board on a tricopter though and I like it. It's a good board especially given the price point.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Last edited by timnilson; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:20 PM
MD2
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
70 Posts
Hey guys really close to pulling the trigger on my QAV500, need some help making sure I have everything I need!

Please check out my thread here and comment. Super exited for the build!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22967545
MD2 is offline Find More Posts by MD2
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
timnilson's Avatar
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2 View Post
Hey guys really close to pulling the trigger on my QAV500, need some help making sure I have everything I need!

Please check out my thread here and comment. Super exited for the build!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post22967545
I hope you were able to get the answers you need. Let me know if you have any other questions.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:10 PM
Registered User
dslack67's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
Daskim - Here is the answer to your question. YES, the RX100 works beautifully. Here is the first 2 test flights, see for yourself. No prop issues at all, fits fine. I also used my GoPro2 in the down rear mount location and the motors didn't even get warm, handled the weight no problem.

Beautiful footage for the first 2 test flights. Watch it in 1080p mode for sure.

QAV500 Sony RX100 & GoPro2 FPV Test (4 min 22 sec)




Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Tim: Quick question.

I am writing an article on Aerial Videography for Beginners. Just published part 1.

Second part deals with camera options.

Will the next Sony RX100 work with the QAV? It's only .5 inches wider than GoPro with mount. I'm worried about prop interfere, not weight, as it's only 80 grams heavier.

Dimensions:

4.00 x 2.29 x 1.41

Weight :

260 grams.

It has better video (1080/60p), less compression, and the less an optical stabilization.

Sent an extensive message using the online form at FPVmanuals on this issue, but no response.

Thank you.

david
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Registered User
dslack67's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
340 Posts
HAHAHAHA. Well, I don't know about IMAX Movie quality, but hey I gotta love your faith in me. LOL.

Check out the first flight tests with the QAV500 and a Sony RX100. Very promising in deed.

QAV500 Sony RX100 & GoPro2 FPV Test (4 min 22 sec)



Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeTrave1er View Post
Really cool, except Dave Slack is amazing at recording quality shake free footage as it is. He could make a Radio Shack $40 helicopter with a Chinese Micro FPV rig look like an IMAX Movie presentation.

Jokes aside.. looking good
dslack67 is offline Find More Posts by dslack67
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:07 AM
Registered User
shauntot's Avatar
Joined Aug 2005
409 Posts
sub'd
shauntot is offline Find More Posts by shauntot
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:39 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
When is the QAV500 expected back in stock? It's looking to me like a good platform for the GoPro Hero 3

Is this frame "backpackable"? By that I mean, will it fit or attach to a normal sized backpack? I can't seem to find the dimensions any longer
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product GOPRO FPV Spider Quadcopter V4.0 + Anti Virbation Mount (NEW Pics Updated 15Apr2012) DiVidesign Multirotor Talk 98 Nov 05, 2013 05:12 AM
New Product New from fpvmanuals: Lipo Strap made by Scorpion timnilson Multirotor Talk 9 Apr 26, 2012 11:41 PM
Wanted FPVmanuals tricopter lower main frame flohio117 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 2 Apr 02, 2012 10:35 PM
Discussion New GoPro lens protection product by fpvmanuals timnilson Aerial Photography 0 Dec 15, 2011 10:34 PM
Sold HobbyKing Quadcopter Frame V1 - NEW - $22.50 shipped Merkin77 Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 3 Sep 30, 2011 12:55 AM