HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
@boopidoo -- thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'll have to look into this more.

@daign -- NASA is about to build an X8 configuration of the QAV500 for redundancy. The arms to do that are still prototypes.
timnilson is offline Find More Posts by timnilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Here is how I mounted the Action Cam on my QAV500. The mod to mount it took me less than 2 minutes. I was surprised it was that easy. I used a Dremel and cut one small piece of the G10 out of the Flight Controller cover plate. Then added some neoprene tape (which the QAV500 kit comes with) to create holders/bumpers and used one piece of velcro to strap it down. The cam sits 100% solid in the frame. I will try this tomorrow.

Disclaimer: I make/sell the QAV500 and I work for Sony.

Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
740 Posts
Looks pretty clean, looking forward to seeing the video.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
This thing is wicked sexy. I was about to buy a Flamewheel 550. Is there any disadvantage to this design over the flame wheel?

I am a general hobbyist just looking for some good quality fpv fun.

I am also a little concerned about the longterm business viability for future parts requirements.

Any comments?
skripo is offline Find More Posts by skripo
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skripo View Post
This thing is wicked sexy. I was about to buy a Flamewheel 550. Is there any disadvantage to this design over the flame wheel?

I am a general hobbyist just looking for some good quality fpv fun.

I am also a little concerned about the longterm business viability for future parts requirements.

Any comments?
If you are interested in FPV and jello free HD video recordings, the QAV500 will outperform a Flamewheel. I am not sure what you mean by your concern in regards to parts availability. We sell every single part you need for a QAV500 individually so that you can easily service your rig:

http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-fr...ent-parts.html
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
... I am not sure what you mean by your concern in regards to parts availability. We sell every single part you need for a QAV500 individually so that you can easily service ...
No offense but this is your first kit and I wonder how long the product will be available. I used to fly helis and tried to stick to the main brands for parts availability.

In any case I am pretty much sold. I was planning on getting the NAZA system + GPS, what motors, ESCs, and props do you recommend? Is NAZA the right way to go?

Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:39 AM
Joined Aug 2012
19 Posts
Gathered his QAV500. And he made a funny video .

QAV500 Manual :) (1 min 2 sec)
Dimmitri is offline Find More Posts by Dimmitri
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:08 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmitri View Post

http://youtu.be/DbdLhHxezwY
Very cool! I wish mine did that.
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Quote:
No offense but this is your first kit and I wonder how long the product will be available. I used to fly helis and tried to stick to the main brands for parts availability.

In any case I am pretty much sold. I was planning on getting the NAZA system + GPS, what motors, ESCs, and props do you recommend? Is NAZA the right way to go?

Thanks.
Glad you're going to go for it. And, just to let you know, this is not our first kit
Our first kit was and is the Pro Tricopter Delrin kit. If you look around at the FPV multi-rotor community, many of these pilots have one of our Pro Tricopter Delrin kits. Just like the QAV500, the tri is supported with lots of accessories and crash replacement parts:
http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/tricopter.html
http://www.fpvmanuals.com/tricopter/
Do a YouTube search for 'delrin tricopter' to see lots of videos:
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...lrin+tricopter
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Quote:

Very well done!
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Apr 2007
345 Posts
Quote:

Great timing, I hope mine is in the mail today.

Tim, you did send the dancing version I hope?

Mike
spiked3 is offline Find More Posts by spiked3
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiked3 View Post
Great timing, I hope mine is in the mail today.

Tim, you did send the dancing version I hope?

Mike
Always
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnilson View Post
Glad you're going to go for it. And, just to let you know, this is not our first kit
Thanks for setting me straight, I am all in. Now about the other question, can you tell me what motors ESCs, and props you recommend to use with the NAZA and GPS? Would Turnigy NX-4008 with Turnigy plush 18A ESCs running a 4S be good? I am looking for flight time and reliability and will spend a little more to get there.

Do you have any prepackaged deals?

Thanks.
Last edited by skripo; Sep 28, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
thanks for setting me straight, i am all in. Now about the other question, can you tell me what motors escs, and props you recommend? I am looking for flight time and reliability. Do you have any prepackaged deals?

Thanks.
x2
S2000442 is online now Find More Posts by S2000442
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
549 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for setting me straight, I am all in. Now about the other question, can you tell me what motors ESCs, and props you recommend to use with the NAZA and GPS? Would Turnigy NX-4008 with Turnigy plush 18A ESCs running a 4S be good? I am looking for flight time and reliability and will spend a little more to get there.

Do you have any prepackaged deals?

Thanks.
With motors, it really depends on how much you want/can spend. A great quality motor is the Tiger MT-4006. It flies fine with either a Plush 18amp ESC on 4s or a Tiger 18amp ESC. You can use the NX-4008 or the FM-4008 -- they are a lot cheaper, but not at the same build quality as the Tiger motors. Props: I'd recommend the Graupner E-Prop 10x5. Depending on the motor, you'll need spacer rings. All of the motors, props, spacers, and ESCs I mentioned you can buy at getfpv.com.

I don't currently sell any motor/esc packages, but I might put something together at some point.