HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Idea
. SWIFTY . ; a pylon racer - warmliner - glider, hybrid : Plans : Flight Video:

Here is a design I'm working on now that I'm planning on building pretty soon. I still have a few things to think about but this is where I'm at.

The main influences were:
  • The simple construction techniques of 3dmon's Speedy.
  • The use of light weight but strong power system like Truglodite did with his Eclipse 300; 138 mph with a blue wonder motor!
  • And some of the nice features of a dlg with variable camber like the Blaster and also incorporating the servo arrangement in the Blaster which I like.

My goals are with this design are:
  • Cheap yet high performing plane.
  • Good top speed (hopefully near 100 mph) and yet good controllable low speed flight too. Fast yet not hard to fly.
  • Interchangeable wings and incorporating tail feathers that compliment various wing arrangements.
  • Decent glide performance.

One of the directions I want to experiment with is very thin flying surfaces to minimize drag at high speed. It's my current belief that this is one of the most important ways to reduce drag at our low Reynold's numbers.

And that's where the variable camber comes in. With no flap it should be good for speed. Add a little flap and it should slow down much better. Add even more flap and landings should be very comfortable.

Full span flaperons can add a lot of lift, but they can also lead to tip stalling when flying slow. To offset this, I will be using a lot of taper in the flaps so that the more the flaps (flaperons) are lowered, the more washout or twist is induced into the wing which in turn should help prevent tip stalling... I think.

PLANS

I'm interested in hearing from others with similar interests.

Swifty Maiden Flight (1 min 57 sec)

Long Wing Swifty maiden flight (4 min 41 sec)

Swifty, new fuselage maiden flight (2 min 3 sec)
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Last edited by leadfeather; Jul 17, 2012 at 09:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 08:38 PM
I used to like trees
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
You got my attention with warmliner/glider. I'm fascinated with these planes. I'll be watching your progress with mucho interest
rchank is offline Find More Posts by rchank
Old May 02, 2012, 12:15 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrůn
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Well I'm looking forward to this build...
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
A Texan abroad
Joined Oct 2011
936 Posts
OH boy, here we go again!
torque roll is offline Find More Posts by torque roll
Old May 02, 2012, 08:25 AM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
I ordered some of Model Plane Foam's new foam. I'm hoping to use this new foam on this build. Better pricing and larger sheets than Depron.\

I'll probably make a full scale mock-up of the fuse using Dollar store foam first to get all the details worked out.
Old May 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,495 Posts

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old May 02, 2012, 03:28 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,860 Posts
Lurking...

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
Old May 02, 2012, 03:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Hiding behind the couch...

Scouse
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old May 02, 2012, 08:38 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,495 Posts
The flaperon concept your espousing here is a good one. For this to work the flaperon must taper towards the tip at a rate greater than the taper of the wing. That is a disproportionate rate.

When fully deployed the AOA (angle of attack) as measured at the root will be greater than at the tip. Effectively creating washout in the wing. Check out the simple graphics for this concept.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 05:54 AM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Thanks for illustrating the concept Ken; a picture is worth a thousand words.

I also like that this design provides increased washout with increased flap. So, no washout for high speed flight (low drag) when it is not needed, and then more and more washout as the flaps are lowered further for low speed flight.

Washout
Last edited by leadfeather; May 03, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:05 PM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Mock up build

I made a quick full scale mock up out of dollar store foam. I wanted to check that everything fit well ( including the electronics) without interference and that the balance was pretty close. I'm using a light motor so I made the nose a little longer to avoid a tail heavy plane; it seems to be pretty good.

I'm happy with everything so far. Now I need to decide on details like the exact aileron dimensions, how to attach the interchangeable wings etc.
Old May 03, 2012, 11:41 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrůn
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi Leadfeather

Very slick build, it's certainly got that streamlined look you were after.
You mentioned that your inspiration for this build is coming from the Eclipse 300 that uses a Blue Wonder motor, what motor have you installed?
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 04, 2012, 06:56 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,495 Posts
Looking excellent Dan!

So we are talking a 5 channel bird, AERT+Flaperons (dual aileron servos)? How many sq. in. wing area?

Carbon flat across the TE (in front of the ailerons) and tube spar at 25%?

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 07:51 AM
Winging it “>
Joined May 2006
9,602 Posts
Andy, yes I intend to use a Blue Wonder motor. In particular the Turnigy 2730 motor upgraded with a rewind that pushes the power up to over 250 watts.

Ken, yes 5 ch using a flaperon set up. In addition I want to have one (of the several) wing designs a 3 ch dihedral RET set up. Same fuselage will accommodate different wings.

Here is the list of wings I had in mind:

1) Short ultimate speed wing 26" span
2) Medium span speed wing 32" span
3) Warmliner wing , 37" span better glide
4) Dihedral floater wing 3 ch or 5 ch, 40" span; dihedral trainer

Spars as you suggested. I may add some leading edge sweep to get the correct aileron proportions and a straight TE ahead of the ailerons.
Old May 04, 2012, 08:59 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,495 Posts
Sounds good!
I am interested. Thinking about wing mounting, I am like mounting the wing flush to the battery box and add some foam over the center section of the wing. Dowel pin sticking into ply reinforced bulkhead in fuselage from LE of wing with some ply reinforcement to better distribute G loading to the wing. Maybe a dual set of rare earth mags at the rear?

This fuselage will really lend itself well as a test bed for various wings.

Just thinking out loud,
Ken
RCG Plus Member