Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
SBach 30 or 50cc - FPV 120km project.. advice plz

Hi all,

I have been away from the nitro plane scene for the last 14 years and got back last year with an FPV project. I am using an electric FPV plane at the moment and that's only to fully test the system before it can go into a gas plane. My longest range has been 40km.

I am looking at buying one of Pilot RC's SBach or extra 30 or 50cc planes. I would prefer the SBach because the canopy is more advanced to the front and the front part of the plane is less bulky so I can get a good view from the onboard camera.

My dilemma is here. The plane will be travelling very long distances and will consequently have to carry quite some weigt on board. I predict 3.3lb of fuel + 2.2lb of battery power (10,000mah) LiPo + 1lb of FPV gear. I understand that the CG setting will be a nightmare. I won't need this plane for 3D stuff, maybe just some sports flying.

I would possibly like to stick to a 30cc because of less vibrations, fuel consumption and costs.

The plane will be travelling through 10 different waypoints on autopilot/stabiliser on a 120km round trip and return to home as a backup. Before anyone jumps at my throat, all the flying will occur on a massive acreage of my friend with no humans in sight.

1) Will a 30cc Sbach handle all that weight?

2) How much autonomy will a 3.3lb (1.5litre) fuel tank give me in terms of flight time and distance? I know it's a tough question to answer given that similar planes do not have to carry that weight.

3) Will a DLE or DA 30cc have the guts to fly such long distances?

Thanks for all your help
Chris
chrisfarru is offline Find More Posts by chrisfarru
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,519 Posts
The DLE 30 will have no problem. But you may want to look at this plane. It has a lighter wing loading and flys really nice
http://www.giantmodelproducts.com/in...&products_id=9
Mine with the DLE 30 and a 12 oz tank can fly for 30 minutes
a 2000 milli amp batter will give it 2 hrs of flying.
You could probly prop her up with a higher pitch prop for better fuel economy.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50