SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 01, 2012, 04:10 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,392 Posts
Question
I Need Competition Mods for a Radian Pro

I ordered a Radian Pro as a backup, and I don't want to have any surprises...such as weak micro linkages found on the stock Radian.

What secrets can you guys tell me?... Things I'd find out for myself in the first week or two.... Things I don't want to have to pay any dues on.

Thanks for any and all help.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Feb 2006
579 Posts
If you plow through the thousands of posts on the Radian Pro thread, you will eventually run across some good advice, but that takes a lot of work.

I have flown a Radian Pro and have found that the rear of the fuselage requires stiffening or the plane does squirrely things under power, like going into a sudden dive. Some have put carbon fiber tubes in the wing to stiffen it.

Typical changes include a different and larger prop and a different battery. For ALES competitions, there is little advantage in powering up a Radian Pro beyond the power needed to get to the target altitude within the max time.
williamson is offline Find More Posts by williamson
Old May 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
there are really quiet a lot things you need to do on the plane. but generally speaking, it is a good floater

you need to stiffen the center of the elevator (where its width is minimum), some paper clip can do the job.

you could also strengthen the end of the tail boom and vertical stabilizer with carbon tow or plywood

the rudder hinge is a weak spot as well. if it caught on anything, it may come off. you can use stronger tape to cope with it.

the connect between fuselage and wings are fragile. be prepare for that.

someone report that the clevis pins frequently fail. keep on eye on

the cockpit area is also weak, if it strike the ground side way, it may tear off from rest of the plane
sr71blackbird is offline Find More Posts by sr71blackbird
Old May 01, 2012, 11:00 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Mar 2004
290 Posts
Here is a post by Paul Naton on the mods he performed on his Radian. I realize they are on an original Radian but they may be useful for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9584
tomcat5109 is offline Find More Posts by tomcat5109
Old May 02, 2012, 07:08 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,392 Posts
Thanks for the good info so far.
. I hope everybody keeps it coming.

Dick is right about the huge Radian Pro thread.
I briefly perused it, and decided I was trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I hope this thread remains succinct and to the point.
It could help a lot of people besides myself.
Kenny Sharp is offline Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp