HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 09, 2012, 09:59 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
Hi All

Quick build update. I had taken my previous FPV quad apart thinking I was going to go coaxial X8 or similar as I was interested in redundancy eg a motor stopping or something, but I ended up abandoning that idea as it is just too inefficient and I did not want the large size of an octo. so I kind of went full circle and ended up back with a wood frame quad. I love building these things.

This one has Tiger Motors 900kv 2216-10 and I just flew it with APC 11 x 5.5 E props. Motors were nice and cool. With out the GoPros I use smaller batteries (in parallel) with an AUW of about 1500g. With the bigger batteries and the stereo GoPros it is an even 2000g

I am building another with smaller props and 1250kv motors for comparison.
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:12 PM
Real 3D FPV
Joined Jul 2007
70 Posts
Hi Yall, I just wanted to comment on your discussion of available 3D FPV systems. I make a dual input 3D FPV head mounted display and accompanying dual camera set with 3 axis head tracking for $1100. It comes with about everything that you need for transmission and reception other than a LiPo battery charger (considering most people already have a charger, and there is too many on the market to pick one for every one) . The cameras' focal point is adjustable and with the 3 axis motion of the head tracker, it's a good deal. I'm not doing this for much profit, if any, I just love 3d fpv.

check out the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556756

check out the site http://www.fullspectrumfpv.com

Lots of impovements still in the works. Final product video is almost done.

-Luke

luciduous is offline Find More Posts by luciduous
Last edited by luciduous; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
3D FPV equipment:

I am using the 3D-CAM FPV from EMR Labs sold through New Generation hobbies

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=393

As I have mentioned before this creates a field sequential 3D format where each eye, left then right, is transmitted in the alternate scan fields of an Analogue TV signal. This is an older 3D format compared to todays 3D TV's that expect side by side or HDMI 1.4 3D and video goggles that understand this format are becoming a little hard to find.

After a lot of searching here is the list of video goggles (mostly old models off ebay) that I believe will work.

Vuzix:
iWear AV920 (about $150 off ebay)
iWear VR920 (same as the AV920 but with head tracking)

These next five seem to be the same under different brands...
EVG920
EVG920E
VG-930A
ITG: HQ3D
ITG: PCX3D

Headplay - a favourite for FPV

Zetronix:
Z920HR-VGA
Z9203D-Vision

I have the EVG920, Headplay and now the Vuzix AV920

cheers....phil
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciduous View Post
Hi Yall, I just wanted to comment on your discussion of available 3D FPV systems.
Thanks for adding to the thread Luke. Nice setup to use BIG screens for higher res.

phil
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
ocp
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
Geting my first 3D setup going. Probably on a quad copter. The version of my camera is 1.02. What is yours? Good to know, maybe there's updates for it. How have you been recording the videos? Simple record with a PC or recorder or do you have to do something specific to record the content to later show in 3D again?
Oliver
ocp is offline Find More Posts by ocp
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
I can check the version when I get home. I have recorded to a mini dv camera and played back in 3d to the goggles without doing anything special.

Welcome to 3D.

phil
Old Jun 13, 2012, 08:33 AM
ocp
Joined May 2012
19 Posts
How about your video posts on this post thread? Basically making it available on You Tube. Just upload the same video recorded staight as it is and tell youtube its 3d? I haven't done that yet with 3D. Always played back on a computer. 15 years ago with 3D Max using odd/even lines on a 120hz monitor 60hz each and a year ago I've upgraded to more modern technology working on Windows7 using Nvidia 3D Vision, but all still on a PC. Never tried playing it back on a TV, or figuring out how to put that content on a DVD so it can be played on a normal Blueray 3D player or Sony Playstation. If you happen to know how that works. Thanks, Oliver
ocp is offline Find More Posts by ocp
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:25 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
243 Posts
Side by side 3D is automatically recognized by most of today's 3D tvs, it automatically switches to 3D when detected
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
162 Posts
3d is easy to realize

in fact it is an important survival backup

take two cameras,
two vtx and two vrx
take two LCD screens
have simple stereoscopic viewer which would be two tubes
take two of your eye balls
hand have 3D fun
wingymaster is offline Find More Posts by wingymaster
Last edited by wingymaster; Jun 14, 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:05 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp View Post
Geting my first 3D setup going. Probably on a quad copter. The version of my camera is 1.02. What is yours?
Is the version number on the board?I cant see mine
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:06 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocp View Post
How about your video posts on this post thread? Basically making it available on You Tube. Just upload the same video recorded staight as it is and tell youtube its 3d?
Youtube expects side by side or over under squeezed.

phil
Old Jun 17, 2012, 08:24 PM
Real 3D FPV
Joined Jul 2007
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingymaster View Post
3d is easy to realize

in fact it is an important survival backup

take two cameras,
two vtx and two vrx
take two LCD screens
have simple stereoscopic viewer which would be two tubes
take two of your eye balls
hand have 3D fun
That is exactly the basic approach that I took with my helmet design. By using mirrors and specific angles to the 8" LCD panels, I was able to produce a low cost 3D solution that doesn't compromise the natural frame rate of the transmitters. 2 Tx, 2 Rx, Full Frame Rate, Full LCD resolution (800x600). and the benefit is astounding to my eyes at least.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
947 Posts
I was thinking about going that route myself but I decided alignment would be a nightmare as well as having to carry the extra gear on the quad. Perfect alignment is critical to comfortable 3D viewing.

Would love to try your prototype.

phil
Old Jun 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
cool, how high does it go?
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2012
353 Posts
Wow, this is great stuff. I figured there musta been people out there pioneering 3D FPV.

@Captain3D - I'd love to see you fly your rig sometime, it looks like we live 3 miles away from each other.
Mauronic is offline Find More Posts by Mauronic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:10 PM
Real 3D FPV
Joined Jul 2007
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
I was thinking about going that route myself but I decided alignment would be a nightmare as well as having to carry the extra gear on the quad. Perfect alignment is critical to comfortable 3D viewing.

Would love to try your prototype.

phil
Phil, definitely wish I lived close for you to try it out. Not too many out there pursuing 3D, and I'm glad to see others in the trenches with me. There is lots of negative opinions among the fpv community about 3D FPV, but lots of support too!

Alignment is definitely one of the biggest challenges. I solved it through trial and error and have found a sweet medium so that each screen has equal distance viewing at all points to each eye. That, and on the 'robot head',
I built in an extra channel for focal distance alignment. I call it Tru-Tilt. It basically is an extra servo that tilts in and out the angle of the cameras. So that, in flight, you can adjust the 'focal length'( angle in of the cameras) so to speak, of what you're looking at. When in flight, you can adjust it to average pretty quickly. Take off and landings are tapered in slightly for closer object viewing. It sounds like a hassle, but it's quite natural and doesn't interfere with flight. Our eyes of course do this naturally, and is one of the biggest things lacking in EMR Labs product in my mind. The ability to 'focus' in the object/objects/altitude that you're looking at is INVALUABLE when I put on my HMD, and I wouldn't do without it!... but that's just my opinion~

Last edited by luciduous; Jun 18, 2012 at 08:21 PM.