HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 15, 2012, 03:53 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
243 Posts
I watched your videos on my cinemizers and it gives a very good depth effect, I was very impressed. Even feels like the branches are hitting you. Isn't that putting dirt all over your quad btw? Cause I experienced a lot of grass mowing today with mine, and it's not white any more, it's now green-ish haha
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
ha yes my quad gets more organic every flight I go through vegetation :-)

Good news on the GoPros. I analyzed a bit more about what was going on and there were a few things I was doing wrong...

1. The official GoPro 3D case expects one camera to be upside down. When you plug in the 3D cable it automatically sets this camera to upside down mode to record a correct image (right side up). My cameras are not in the case as I wanted wider separation for more 3D depth. I also placed them both right side up. As the cable automatically flips one image and it is multiple menu clicks to switch it back I decided to just record like that and flip it in post - bad idea.

The result was that the rolling shutter is going in opposite directions after flipping in post. So as the quad turns and banks all kinds of weird depth distortions and alignment issues were appearing.

2. I also noticed a bad time offset in one video as a car drove down the road. When you pause on a frame like that the car either appears to float off the road or sinks into the road. This is an indication that the videos are not correctly synchronized. I found the clip worked much better when I delayed one of the videos by a frame. I need to look into this further as I am still not convinced the sync is 100%. But much better now.

3. Wide Angle correction. I am not a fan of the 170 degree field of view of the Hero2. It is especially ugly with flying machines that capture the horizon bending up and down. I have opted to shoot with the reduced 127 degree 'medium' FOV option. This reduces the resolution slightly but give less barrel distortion. I am correcting this further in post by taking the movies into After effects and using the optical compensation filter with an inverted 65 degree setting. This makes the image look almost square but still pleasantly wide angle. Again this post processing will loose some detail but to me it is well worth it.

Summary:
As long as I make sure both cameras have the correct recording orientation (both rolling shutters moving in the same direction relative to the scene) and I manually check left eye right eye synchronization and I undo a lot of the lens warp I am getting fantastic results.

I will put up a demo video as soon as I get some time.

phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Last edited by Captain3D; May 15, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 18, 2012, 01:36 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
For anyone interested in shooting some 3D stills or Video there is a good deal today for the Fuji W3 3D camera...

http://1saleaday.com/

$199

phil
Old May 18, 2012, 08:13 PM
Joined Mar 2009
368 Posts
I've done a lot of 3d photography, and there's a rule that 3d flyers should consider: the distance between the cameras should be approximately 1/30th the distance to the subject for a strong 3D effect.

With an airplane the subject is typically very far away so you might consider mounting the cameras at the tip of each wing to enhance the 3D.
djacobox372 is offline Find More Posts by djacobox372
Old May 19, 2012, 12:51 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
I have the GoPros out to 3" (75mm) for my quad. I plan to fly mostly close to objects. I set the stereo window at around 5 ft. I will get some video up this weekend. It is looking great now.

phil
Old May 19, 2012, 01:02 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
3. Wide Angle correction. I am not a fan of the 170 degree field of view of the Hero2. It is especially ugly with flying machines that capture the horizon bending up and down. I have opted to shoot with the reduced 127 degree 'medium' FOV option. This reduces the resolution slightly but give less barrel distortion.
It does not actually reduce the resolution at all to use 127 degree (medium wide) mode.
The GP2 has an 11MP sensor. It only requires 2MP to capture a 1080p video frame.
In the wider mode, it exposes more of the sensor area, but then it just uses pixel binning
to combine adjacent pixels together. You get a little less sensor noise, but no greater
resolving power. Even at 1080p medium wide it's still pixel binning. At 1080p narrow
(about 90 degrees FoV) it's close to 1 sensor bucket per output pixel and you see it as
increased sensor noise. 1080p medium wide at 30fps is generally going to give the
best clarity and low noise, with acceptable barrel distortion.

Looking forward to some 3D GP vids.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 01:12 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
Oh good to know. I was looking for this info but could not find it thanks. I did test shooting full wide and cropping in myself and could see the on camera version was much better. Now I understand it is noise I am seeing more than resolution loss.

phil
Old May 21, 2012, 01:15 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
(Having some tech issues with the video. Will upload again later)

OK new video - GoPro 3D testing...including a brief explanation of my alignment steps. Looking good I say...

These 11x5 Graupners were smoother than the APC 10x47. Pity I crashed it and broke one. That is in the next video.

phil
Last edited by Captain3D; May 21, 2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 01:19 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
After breaking my current quad I have decided to try an X8 next.
Last edited by Captain3D; May 21, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
ok try again...

OK new video - GoPro 3D testing...including a brief explanation of my alignment steps.

GoPro 3D & Image Correction - FPV GU-INS Quadcopter flight (3 min 43 sec)
Old May 23, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
Cross Eye Viewing

I noticed that all these posted videos won't work with unaided (no glasses), cross-eye viewing because the right image is on the right and the left image is on the left instead of crossed. Thus, when viewed with the cross-eye method the 3-d effect is in reverse. Is there any way you can reverse or cross the left to the right and the right to the left so we cross-eye viewers can see them correctly? Using your eyes without stupid glasses, and the cost of such, is so much preferable if you are adept at the cross-eye method. Unfortunately all these wonderful stereo videos, as posted, require glasses to be viewed.
JlbMacUser is offline Find More Posts by JlbMacUser
Old May 24, 2012, 12:30 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2011
11 Posts
Cross-Eye Viewing Method

Here is an example of both cross-eye stereo pairs and a large amount of parallax. I took these images during a recent airline flight from 30,000 ft with about 2,000 ft of parallax (2 second separation at ~ 750 MPH). You have to use the cross-eye method to view these so forget your Cinemizers! I think mounting cameras (how about fiber cord based lenses for remote mounting where image CCD circuitry stays in the fuselage?) near the tips of each wing would provide much more depth, even for long distances, as you can see in these images!
JlbMacUser is offline Find More Posts by JlbMacUser
Last edited by JlbMacUser; May 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Correct syntax
Old May 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JlbMacUser View Post
I noticed that all these posted videos won't work with unaided (no glasses), cross-eye viewing because the right image is on the right and the left image is on the left instead of crossed. Thus, when viewed with the cross-eye method the 3-d effect is in reverse. Is there any way you can reverse or cross the left to the right and the right to the left so we cross-eye viewers can see them correctly? Using your eyes without stupid glasses, and the cost of such, is so much preferable if you are adept at the cross-eye method. Unfortunately all these wonderful stereo videos, as posted, require glasses to be viewed.
No problem just click the 3D icon and chose to 'Swap eyes'. Free viewing that you are doing can be either crossed or parallel there is no correct way to do this. Which ever is comfortable for the individual.

Glad you like them....phil
Old May 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
Nice hyper stereo pics. It might be difficult landing with that much separation between cameras :-)

phil
Old May 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
945 Posts
More less than perfect flying in 3D...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7j2R...ature=youtu.be

phil