Old May 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Discussion
3D (stereoscopic) FPV flying and movies

Hi All

I have been flying quads for about four months now so still very new to all of this. I came to the quads from the desire to 'fly virtually' after seeing FPV (juz70 and the like) youtube videos.

I also come from a background of a stereoscopic photographer and film maker (thats 3D with the glasses) and wanted to combine the two.

I have been surprised to find not many people think about flying FPV with stereo vision. It is such a natural fit to me that it seems crazy not to.

After some searching I found the EMR Labs '3D cam FPV'. This unique stereoscopic FPV camera, specifically designed for the task at hand, was exactly what I was looking for. At $330 it is not at the cheap end of the FPV camera range, but well worth it in my opinion.

3D FPV Cam from NG hobbies

The 3D FPV Cam works by combining the left and right eye views into a single 'field sequential' video stream for transmission. Any normal FPV Tx Rx setup will work to send the 3D video. To view the 3D transmission you must have goggles that can work with a 'field sequential' 3D signal like the 'head play' goggles or the EVG920 that I also got from NG hobbies.

EVG920

(3D goggles that expect a side by side 3d image will not work. So do not buy those)

I got it all setup on my quad and 'Hat Station' (see pic) after some earlier experiments. This is all a work in progress of course but I have some videos now of 3D FPV flying.

I would love to hear from any other 3D FPV flyers or answer any questions. I will add new videos to this thread as I make them or find them on youtube. If anyone else has 3D FPV videos or comments please add them.

cheers..phil

Edit:
Quadcopter Spec:
GU-INS flight controller in auto balance mode
Home made wooden frame
Tiger motors - MT 2216-11 900kv
APC 10x4.7 props
Mystery Blue 30A ESC's
2 x 2650mAh 3s Turnigy 25C Lipo batteries
3D-Cam FPV by EMR Labs for real time stereoscopic video
(NTSC field sequential stereoscopic capture)
Fuji W3 camera for recorded stereoscopic video
500mW 900MHz video transmitter
IBCrazy style, home made, skew planar antenna
Weight: 1950g
Flight Time: 8 mins

Ground Station:
Home Depot workers Hat
900MHz receiver
IBCrazy style, home made, cloverleaf antenna
EVG920 Video Glasses (NTSC field sequential stereoscopic display)
1000mAh 3s Turnigy 25C Lipo battery
Any volt voltage regulator for glasses
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Last edited by Captain3D; May 01, 2012 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 03:48 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
This first video is shot with a Fuji W3 stereo camera at 720p. The live view I see through the 3D FPV camera is the same but at a lower res, of course and with my OSD info etc, but this should give a good idea of what it is like to fly with stereo vision.

Youtube 3D has various options from red/cyan anaglyph to side x side or line interlaced. Make a selection to suit your viewing monitor/glasses after hitting play.

Fuji W3 3D FPV GU-INS Quadcopter flight (3 min 48 sec)

Just to be clear: The view when flying, through the camera/goggles is NOT red/cyan anaglyph. When flying I see full color in each eye.

cheers...phil
Old May 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
My most recent video from last weekend. Again shot with the Fuji W3.

Fuji W3 3D FPV GU-INS Quadcopter flight (4 min 57 sec)

When you see the quad in the frame it does not have the W3 mounted. Just took some artistic license with the editing.

More to come.

cheers...phil
Old May 01, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,096 Posts
3D works for low level flying, but as soon as you get over about 50 feet from any object, then you start losing the need for 3D. And usually a standard FPV camera will do for 99% of flying.

I will admit, I do love seeing the 3D HD videos. its pretty cool
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old May 01, 2012, 08:31 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Much better than I expected.

I watched the tall thin version on my iPad by converging the images without goggles.

In my old age I have trouble both converging the images and focusing, but the effect was very good. I like the final sequences in the second video where you flew through some tight spaces on your way to landing.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 01, 2012, 08:59 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
It is true that stereo 'roundness' of objects flattens off as they get further away, but they also get 'further away' in depth. The ground becomes far below and I feel high above.

I don't see it as a negative that the stereo roundness diminishes as I climb higher as the sense of space between my view and the object increases giving that vertigo feeling or removal from the earth below feeling. This is equally part of the stereo experience as the close proximity stereo 'roundness' that you get buzzing through the trees.

During close up flying stereo really helps with judging the distances.

Maybe it is better suited to multirotor but I have seen plenty of fixed wing skimming over trees and cliffs or even in the clouds etc.

I am not saying that mono vision is not sufficient to fly because clearly it is. What I am saying is the enjoyment of stereo vision enhances the FPV experience immensely.

phil
Old May 01, 2012, 09:14 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Much better than I expected.

I watched the tall thin version on my iPad by converging the images without goggles.

Pete
Oh you can 'freeview' Pete. I wish YouTube had an unsqueezed side by side format for that purpose.

phil
Old May 02, 2012, 12:52 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Oh you can 'freeview' Pete. I wish YouTube had an unsqueezed side by side format for that purpose.

phil
I can only converge about two ir two and a half inches so they'd have to put up pretty small side by sides. For a while I was going through my videos looking for pairs of frames that looked 3D, mostly of planes flying by.

As a kid I got hooked on 3D during the first craze with Bawana Junction, Fort Ticonderoga, House of Wax, etc. and I would try to draw stereo pairs in my schoolbooks. That's when I learned to converge images.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old May 02, 2012, 01:49 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Cool. My first experience was staring at repeating pattern wall paper as a kid. I did not know what was happening until much later but I was aligning each eye with a different part of the pattern.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:21 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
3D works for low level flying, but as soon as you get over about 50 feet from any object, then you start losing the need for 3D. And usually a standard FPV camera will do for 99% of flying.
l
yes if you kept the same distance between the camera than you eyes have, but if you increase the separation of the camera, the depth perception augment. I got two feet of separation between ma cams, I can see depth for severals hundred of feet in front of my planes
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old May 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
Discovery
Joined Apr 2012
258 Posts
Would that work with carl zeiss cinemizer plus goggles?
ulkar is offline Find More Posts by ulkar
Old May 03, 2012, 02:28 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulkar View Post
Would that work with carl zeiss cinemizer plus goggles?
If the spec says field sequential 3D then yes. The glasses from a few years back tend to have this and the newer ones do not.

phil
Old May 03, 2012, 02:29 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
yes if you kept the same distance between the camera than you eyes have, but if you increase the separation of the camera, the depth perception augment. I got two feet of separation between ma cams, I can see depth for severals hundred of feet in front of my planes
Hi VRflyer

Can you post some of your pioneering work here. any youtube videos? I know you have been doing this longer than anyone and with hyperstereo separation.

phil
Old May 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
952 Posts
Here is a video from Takashi Sekitani

Quad Helicopter test flight with GoPro in 3D (1 min 8 sec)

He has been working on extending the Gopro cable to get a wider stereo base and therefore deeper 3d than the official Gopro 3D setup allows.

phil
Old May 03, 2012, 03:50 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain3D View Post
Hi VRflyer

Can you post some of your pioneering work here. any youtube videos?
I don`t have any 3D video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...systar+with+3d

http://pilotage.immersion.free.fr/Funjet3D.html

Presently I use a new easystar with the two cam install in the two wing with 24 inc of separation. two cam RCV922 with 2.9mm lens and two 900mhz tx on 1040 and 1080. Two Lawmate receivers are install on a tripod and my blue headset now have two rca jack for both video input. I can also install one receiver on the headset, then with a switch, the same receiver output is send to both eyes.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer