HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 12:41 PM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
49 Posts
Question
Clear Coat Options

Guys,

Looking on the net and at these threads, I still can't seem to decide on clear coat finish. Just finished sanding and sanding, and sanding, and finally airbrushing a small scale build. Electric plane. I used Model Master Enamel, which came out looking good. The plane is a belly lander, and clearly the paint won't stand up to the wear and tear of RC flying.

I've used Klass Kote before, with great results, but am reluctant to put laquer over enamel. It seems that a lot use Krylon satin over the Testors clear coats. Is this any better? Will the finish look as good as airbrushed? Some have used Nelson paint successfully, will it be compatible?

I could use some advice.

Thanks.
Blue Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Blue Falcon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2012, 07:23 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,619 Posts
I believe that Klass Kote is epoxy. http://www.klasskote.com/
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old May 02, 2012, 10:56 AM
Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
49 Posts
Thanks for reply Tom. It's epoxy, but laquer thinned, and has risk of bubbling paint underneath. The more I read, it sounds like Minwax Polycrylic may be the way to go.
Blue Falcon is offline Find More Posts by Blue Falcon
Old May 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,103 Posts
I used an automotive urethane two part paint on my last plane. It was a "house brand" paint. It worked just fine and i was able to purchase a quart of the clear and a pint of the activator. It is mixed 4 to 1 so the activator will be good for two quarts of clear. I had some reducer left over from a previous project. It sprays nice and holds on tight. Dry to the touch in about an hour and can handle it in about four hours.

Check with your local automotive supply house to see what they have. Mine is an Auto Value brand paint.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old May 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
USA, WA, Kennewick
Joined Nov 2005
501 Posts
I would try a test panel of Nelsons clear and see how it goes.
http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php
sscherin is offline Find More Posts by sscherin