South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
Help!
Help choose components on budget!

Hello my friends!

ok i've decided on this frame:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Frame.html

1: Can i put it in a tri configuration by removing a boom ?
2: I am on a budget, please can anyone tell me what esc,board,motors,props i need to get,
i'd like to buy all from the same site.
3: I would like two options to choose from, one less powerfull say 18-25 sized esc's and one more powerfull, say 40 amp esc's
4: can i use 3 bladed props, i'd like the tri to be quiet for i have sensitive neighbours, (difficult to balance 3 blade props ?)

I eagerly await a reply ! Really want to get one up in the air it looks like so much fun!
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, AZ, Seligman
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axefly View Post
Hello my friends!

ok i've decided on this frame:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Frame.html

1: Can i put it in a tri configuration by removing a boom ?
2: I am on a budget, please can anyone tell me what esc,board,motors,props i need to get,
i'd like to buy all from the same site.
3: I would like two options to choose from, one less powerfull say 18-25 sized esc's and one more powerfull, say 40 amp esc's
4: can i use 3 bladed props, i'd like the tri to be quiet for i have sensitive neighbours, (difficult to balance 3 blade props ?)

I eagerly await a reply ! Really want to get one up in the air it looks like so much fun!
1: No won't work.
2: Nice budget board http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ega168PA_.html I like it. Everything else let someone more experienced recommend.
3: Turnigy Plush http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
4: Yes you can use them, but I don't know which ones to recommend
You can buy most of the stuff you need at hobbyking.com Great prices, SLOW shipping.
Dave8888 is offline Find More Posts by Dave8888
Old May 01, 2012, 11:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Where did you get the idea that 3blade props are quieter?
Anything with more than one blade is going to be noisier.
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 02, 2012, 12:15 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
ESCs that are flashed to SimonK's multirotor firmware will be quiter than normal ESCs

TimeCop's Abusemark website sells ESCs that are flashed (at a good price)

or Ken at quadroufo.com has them as well
http://www.quadroufo.com/index.php?c...5u66firucd2rf3

I ordered a KK board, have not flown it (has not arrived yet) so i cannot recommend it, but i know the multiwii boards fly well enough to learn on..... you can find a lot of good prices on the For Sale Forum (BST)

I buy almost everything used off the BST

2x HoverFly Pro Boards
1x HF GPS board
9 Turnigy 2830 motors
2 RC_Carbon Frames (Y-6s)
Batteries
Chargers

and more..... easy way to save $$
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old May 02, 2012, 06:11 AM
not insane; Mom had me tested
Marietta Ga.
Joined Apr 2005
819 Posts
frame setup
http://rcexplorer.se/projects/tricop...copterv25.html
cheap components
Cheap easy tricopter build hobbyking rctimer hobbypartz (6 min 18 sec)
hallstudio is offline Find More Posts by hallstudio
Old May 02, 2012, 02:33 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
Thank You all for the replies,

basically i can afford no more than 170 US.
But i want the nice talon v2 frame...

So i would've loved to buy everything separately but saving on shipping is obviously a concern for my budget so i suppose i need to go the hk route.

I think what i will do is look at what HK has to offer and then put my decision list in front of everyone here so that the can tell me if i'm making the right decisions...

Re.. More blades, they should be quieter, more blades should definitely be quieter... The rule applies to full scale aviation, it should to rc as well.. ? It's just more effort for the motor to turn them as far as i know, that's why one usually prop smaller than what you would with a 2 blade prop. it looks cool too... !
Old May 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
Thank You all for the replies,

basically i can afford no more than 170 US.
But i want the nice talon v2 frame...

So i would've loved to buy everything separately but saving on shipping is obviously a concern for my budget so i suppose i need to go the hk route.

I think what i will do is look at what HK has to offer and then put my decision list in front of everyone here so that the can tell me if i'm making the right decisions...

Re.. More blades, they should be quieter, more blades should definitely be quieter... The rule applies to full scale aviation, it should to rc as well.. ? It's just more effort for the motor to turn them as far as i know, that's why one usually prop smaller than what you would with a 2 blade prop. it looks cool too... !
1) Check the shipping at HK. Sometimes ordering 2 or 3 orders only cost you $1.00 to $2.00 more in shipping, because they go by weight.
2) This is going to sound strange but here goes: Go to page (at HK) that shows the frame and let your computer just sit on that page (like you are trying to decide) after about 10 minutes a window will pop up saying this "Hello shopper!
We noticed you've been looking at this product for a while and we would like to offer you a discount. If you click on the add to cart button below we can offer you this product for $31.95.
This offer will only show once.
If you leave this page or close this window you will not see this offer again." You just saved $2.00 off your frame. Can you do this on everything on your order? I don't know.
Old May 03, 2012, 04:50 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
Need Help on Final decision please

Thanks Dave and Adidas.

Ok guys please have some patience with me

I narrowed it down to the following (as i only have flown bigger heli's i would need just a bit of advice on these multigizmo machines )

1. Would any of these be a good choice or would the 480 be better ?

Turnigy_Park450_Brushless_Outrunner_890kv or
Turnigy_Park480_Brushless_Outrunner_850kv

Which props would be best to use from hk ? will the quad be limited to prop pitch ie.. i'm
pondering on the ranges between 9x4 - 9x7 and 10x4 - 10x7 inch props. ??

2. which esc's going to be the most reliable for a quad (looks like the turnigy's is out of stock though)

HobbyKing_30A_BlueSeries_Brushless_Speed_Controlle r or
TURNIGY_Plush_30amp_Speed_Controller

4. Turnigy Talon V2 Frame (i will be using this frame)

5: As i have no idea of what extras i need i assumed the following would be part of the list ?

Hobby_King_Quadcopter_Power_Distribution_Board
10CM_Male_to_Male_Servo_Lead_JR_26AWG_10pcs_set_
3cm_Male_to_Male_Servo_Lead_26AWG_10pcs_set

Control board:

HobbyKing_Multi_Rotor_Control_Board_V3_0_Atmega328 _PA_
SBasp_AVR_Programming_Device_for_ATMEL_proccessors .

6. 3 cell turnigy 2200 battery will be used, and i will use an spcm receiver.

Now i know i probably left something out ? ? ? ?
Old May 03, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
1) Don't know
2) Tunigy Plush
5) You don't need the 3cm male-to-male. If you get that power distribution board, you will need male 3.5mm bullet connectors for speed controllers. The hobby king multi rotor control board comes with firmware in + mode already installed (atleast my v2 did). You don't need programming device unless you want different firmware (maybe X mode). I bought this programmer and have had trouble with it, atleast with windows 7.
6) I am using the 40C of this battery and like it.
Left something out? 1) Battery strap, 2) Velcro for battery, 3) Lipo battery alarm, 4) Screws to mount motors, 5) Cable ties to mount speed controllers, 6) Connectors to connect motors to speed controllers.
Old May 04, 2012, 04:24 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
thanks Dave Guess i'll take my chances on the park450's and maybe get ss controllers rather than the blue controllers because it looks like the plushes are out of stock.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Quote:
thanks Dave Guess i'll take my chances on the park450's and maybe get ss controllers rather than the blue controllers because it looks like the plushes are out of stock.
If you are talking about HK SS Series when you say "ss controllers" then let me tell you I have had 6 of the HK SS 18a - 20a (card programmable) and in less then 6 months 4 of the 6 have just stopped working. I have DT750 motors with 10 x 4.5 props and I am just hovering around the yard, so I know I am not over working them. I am now looking at the hobbyking blue series, because the Turnigy Plush are always on back order.
Old May 04, 2012, 11:55 AM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave8888 View Post
If you are talking about HK SS Series when you say "ss controllers" then let me tell you I have had 6 of the HK SS 18a - 20a (card programmable) and in less then 6 months 4 of the 6 have just stopped working. I have DT750 motors with 10 x 4.5 props and I am just hovering around the yard, so I know I am not over working them. I am now looking at the hobbyking blue series, because the Turnigy Plush are always on back order.
Thanks Dave for the heads up, fortunately have not order yet, please let me know on what you decide, as mentioned above originally i was also looking into the blue series, might not be a bad choice ? they are hk's newer esc's right ? Anyone else that's got experience please add your experiences !

I still think i'm going to go with the park 450s, hope i'm making the right choice, a friend of mine has many 10 x 4.5's that he's not using, so hope the motors perform well with those...
Old May 04, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2011
413 Posts
Are HK blue series their newest escs? I don't know. I had a Mystery blue series on a 450 helicopter and really liked it. HK says their blue series are the same as Mystery blue series, but a little cheaper. Also the HK 20amp says it can handle 2S-4S batteries. The Mystery can only handle 2S-3S batteries. I am going with the HK 20amp blue series (it is 10 grams lighter then the 30amp).
Your friends 10 x 4.5 props, did they get them off ebay? If so, that is what I am using. They are not very stiff, so good in a crash, but some loss in power. Still works and I would use them to start with.
Old May 04, 2012, 12:37 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,075 Posts
don't think 30 grams is going to be an issue, the reason i'd go 30 amp is for one
of my 13 years experience flying electrics is that if you go higher on the esc, your whole power system works more efficiently, the esc runs cooler, the motor for some strange reason, performs better (It's my experience)

my friend does the quadcopter thing professionally has quad hex and oct, so plenty spares not sure where he got the props though.
Last edited by Axefly; May 04, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 01:54 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,614 Posts
4 motors, 4 ESCs, work well in quads: http://www.allerc.com/quad-copter-ec...et-p-6141.html
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Last edited by BobRCnut; May 04, 2012 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Correction