HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 01, 2012, 10:16 AM
Slope addict User
tiju000's Avatar
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
Discussion
F3B chute to the line, can somebody help me

Hi guy's,

I have that chute that came with my Ober winch.

Do I use the rose loop as the loop that goes into the hook on the glider

Then do I keep the metal loop on the line side and attach the mono to the yellow loop, or to I remove the metal loop and attach the mono to the 3 lines coming from the chute.

What about that plastic style washer as illustrated.

Do I make a knots directly mono to the chute or do I need to use a braided line around the mono.

Thanks
Thierry
tiju000 is offline Find More Posts by tiju000
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 11:04 AM
Registered User
Francesco's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
The washer is there to prevent the chute to be "sucked" into the turnaround.
Generally speaking, I prefer to use a metal ring as a coupler between the chute cords and the line: it makes my life easier when it comes to changing a chute.
As for the mono line, I slide a length (about 12-16") of braided sleeve on it, then I form a loop knot with both the line and the sleeve.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
There are a number of ways you can do it.

The first basic way is single hooking, so tie a loop in the end of the line and then thread the loop through the bottom eye on the chute and then feed the rest of the shoot through the hoop.
Then put the chute top ring on your hook.

The second way is to use some braid over the line and tie a loop.
The attach the bottom ring to the braided loop with a cable tie.

To hook, pass the braided loop through the top ring on the chute and latch onto the hook.
The launch is the done directly through the line via the braid and when you release the chute takes a little longer to open as it has to come off of the loop before it can open.
This will help prevent the chute hooking round the tail on over rotations for the ping !

I hope that this helps, maybe I could take some pictures if your unsure.

Jon
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 11:07 AM
Slope addict User
tiju000's Avatar
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
tks Guys

Some pictures could help

Thierry
tiju000 is offline Find More Posts by tiju000
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:05 PM
Slope addict User
tiju000's Avatar
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
I think I got it,

look at that video Ober Winch at about 5:00 it shows how to attach the chute to the plane.

Looks like if it good for US F3B team it should be good for me

Thierry
tiju000 is offline Find More Posts by tiju000
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:29 PM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
The washer is there to prevent the chute to be "sucked" into the turnaround.
Generally speaking, I prefer to use a metal ring as a coupler between the chute cords and the line: it makes my life easier when it comes to changing a chute.
I have the had probems finding strong enough metal loops. Try to buy suitable metal chain and cut loops from there. The rounds ones that can be bought from emc-vega get oval in use and finally let go.

Currently I like to attach the line sleeve directly to hook. Chute is folded though the line from the top end, very common practise in F3B. No metal rings and little less drag, maybe. If you want, you can use a stopper over the sleeve.
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:31 PM
Registered User
Francesco's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
I have the had probems finding strong enough metal loops. Try to buy suitable metal chain and cut loops from there. The rounds ones that can be bought from emc-vega get oval in use and finally let go.

Currently I like to attach the line sleeve directly to hook. Chute is folded though the line from the top end, very common practise in F3B. No metal rings and little less drag, maybe. If you want, you can use a stopper over the sleeve.
3-mm welded stainless steel rings work just fine, their WLL is way higher than we can ever hope to pull.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:50 PM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
3-mm welded stainless steel rings work just fine, their WLL is way higher than we can ever hope to pull.
I think the problem is (or can be) in the welding. If welding starts to bend, the it will sooner or later let go.

Steel chains can be cut into rings for our use. These rings are often oval shape in the beginning, structurally much better shape.

There are so many ways to solve this detail. I am just little paranoid with the rings, once lost a fly off place due to emc-vega ring breaking...
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Francesco's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
I think the problem is (or can be) in the welding. If welding starts to bend, the it will sooner or later let go.

Steel chains can be cut into rings for our use. These rings are often oval shape in the beginning, structurally much better shape.

There are so many ways to solve this detail. I am just little paranoid with the rings, once lost a fly off place due to emc-vega ring breaking...
Chains are welded as well, if it's the welding that fails it's not due to the shape but to poor welding (maybe they're just brazed?)
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
Tuomo's Avatar
Jyvaskyla, Finland
Joined Aug 2003
2,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
Chains are welded as well, if it's the welding that fails it's not due to the shape but to poor welding (maybe they're just brazed?)
Chain loops are almost normally oval shape and the welding is straight part. So no bending moment to the weld.

Get the point? Maybe I should draw a picture...
Tuomo is offline Find More Posts by Tuomo
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
Francesco's Avatar
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Apr 2001
608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomo View Post
Chain loops are almost normally oval shape and the welding is straight part. So no bending moment to the weld.

Get the point? Maybe I should draw a picture...
Got that, no reason for sarcasm. That's what Samba did a few years ago (it was 5 mm galvanized steel), my only problem with that is it tended to get stuck inside the turnaround pulley b/c it was not big enough to actually stop at the front of it.
Francesco is offline Find More Posts by Francesco
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2010
185 Posts
Rubber tap washer in the loop prevent pull through.
ceres-syd is offline Find More Posts by ceres-syd
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 04:11 PM
Thermal Wrangler
DrFragnasty's Avatar
Launceston Tasmania
Joined Mar 2004
2,096 Posts
No metal & minimal knots

As for the sleeve it's 6mm "Spectra" from a marine supply shop. Only in the photos it's old bootlace from memory.

Cut to length, take out the white inner core, heat seal both ends with butane torch so the line can thread through.

Chris.
DrFragnasty is offline Find More Posts by DrFragnasty
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 04:42 PM
Slope addict User
tiju000's Avatar
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Dec 2004
447 Posts
tks Chris,

how stuff are so easy with some pictures

Thierry
tiju000 is offline Find More Posts by tiju000
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2012, 05:30 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
2,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiju000 View Post
tks Chris,

how stuff are so easy with some pictures

Thierry
Rich B showed me this rig at the SWC and I swear I had to go back and see it like 4 times.. I felt like and idiot. Its nice though to not have a large ring to bang your stab with if you go too deep into the bucket!
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Can someone help me identify this car indycobra Off-road Cars 7 Apr 05, 2012 12:23 PM
Discussion Please help me rescue my 160kmh power line crash zkilzz FPV Talk 10 Apr 03, 2012 10:54 PM
Discussion Can You Help Me? frivilousteamrc Electric Heli Talk 0 Apr 01, 2012 05:51 PM
Discussion Could somebody recommend me a charger? qwerty11 Micro Ready-to-Fly 2 Feb 27, 2012 08:26 PM
Discussion Somebody can tell me what wrong with this motor? nexxa Electric Motor Design and Construction 4 Oct 14, 2011 11:49 AM